Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a polo courtesy car the other day and it was and SEL version, the 105 hp higher power with 1.2 engine.

I was pleasantly surprised at how big car the polo felt, and the engine was very responsive. I understand the engine is a turbo which perhaps will be like the up GT. I found only slight lag and lots of torqueas you set off from rest. Some modern engines seem to bog down at low revs. Not this little engine it behaved like the car had a larger 1.6 engine. Very impressive.

The ride has been improved with the new polo over the earlier one i have tried. The gear change is very good and even better than the up. The road noise is slightly different and slightly better in the polo.

A surprise was that polo seats in the SEL was just too narrow formy back. They are he supportive sporty version. Very annoying for me. (I am a funny shape due to accident)

getting back to my up and I felt mch more comfortable as the view out is better and I feel a bit more connected to the road.

I do miss the slightly better radio with its DAB function. The radio was still a little boxy with speech.

·
Registered
587 Posts
VAG's TSi engines are great, we have the EA888 2 litre 211 variant and is very smooth and punchy. The up! GT with it' TSi engine will be a peach. Overall the up! is the nicer and more fun car to drive, I found the Polo a bit wallowy and steering not as quick as the up! The up! also has quite a long throw being a 5 speed box compared to the Polo which is 6 speed and many other 6 speed boxes I have used,including the one on our forthcoming BMW 116i.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Polo with the 1.2TSI engine is the pick of the range and was the car I had my eye on before the Up came along. At the time I was hoping VW would bring out the 1.2 TSI with the DSG box but, in the UK, this was not a combination offered by the company.

I could of course have went for the older 1.4 engine with the DSG box but it (the engine) received mixed reports in the press. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the 1.2 TSI in SEL trim came in at about £14k - £15k. A nice car but was just a bit expensive for a daily 'runabout'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts