Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Move Up! has poor front-end grip, especially in the wet.

Tyres are Continental Eco Contact 3 — 165/70 R14.

Can anyone suggest better tyres?

Thanks,
Stephen.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Anything that doesn't say "eco" in the description.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple of disconnects in car (Honda Jazz), front/rear (so far rear only) and size (175/65 14) but otherwise my comment is relevant!

I replaced a pair of Eco Contacts on the back of my 2007 Sheddy McShedface Jazz with Kumho Ecowing ES31 which are available in your size.
They grip far better and they're cheaper than the Contis.
When the fronts wear out (not long now!) I'll be fitting the Kumhos there too.

I know they've got the dreaded eco in the model name @ThatUp!GTI! but they are still better than the Contis!

·
Registered
583 Posts

Tyres are the likely culprit

I ditched the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia 25's for the same reason
(my sister was happy with them, though ...)

I'm running

Dunlop BluResponse 185 wide, 15" in summer
32000 miles and still going strong, plenty of thread left

Dunlop Winter Response2 175/65/14 in winter
Lasted 45.000 miles including 2 summers ! on the front wheels
Rears could serve another winter up front, then be run down next summer.

Both excellent offerings, good mileage, low wear and are very reasonably priced

The up! is very easy on its rear tyres
Even running winter tyres thru summer(s), the rears won't really wear out much.
So there's little harm done when running down the front's winter tyres in summer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not much of a Continental fan here
I once had SportContact 3's - absolutely lacklustre performance in the wet
Fast wearing (maybe that was what the "Sports" moniker was all about )

If you're going to change the set anyways, swap the 165ers for 175/65/14

German ADAC shortlist:
https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2018_Sommerreifen_Test_175_65_R14.aspx

In 14" summer tyres, I wouldn't hesitate to run the Dunlop StreetResponse 2 on the up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who replied. (Can't figure out how to do individual replies.)

Looks like I should avoid 'Eco' tyres and go for 175 or 185 wide.

The fronts have maybe 5-10,00 miles left in them. Rears much more than that.

I now need to find out if I can put wider tyres on the front and leave the rears till they wear out...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
you can although some main tyre places wont let you have the bigger tyres on the front...
might be worth considering getting a cheap set of wheels? wont be hard to find a set with decent tyres for cheap alsowith the right tyre size you would want. that way if you dont like how that tyre size is, you can sell the wheels and try another size. a bit long winded process, but i done that, it saved me from having to buy new tyres and then sticking with them even thought i woudnt of liked them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Try a set of Nankang NS 2R tyres.
These are the ones that Milltek have decided to use for their Gti project car, so they must have done their research on the best rubber.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Before you go for different tyres, try lowering the pressure . I find the pressures recommended by VW for the Up way too high.
I use 30psi front, and 28 rear. Have done this on all our Ups (now on the fifth), on 15", 16" 17" and now 17" on the GTi and one of our 75bhp Ups that had the 17" Polygon wheels.
Didn't seem to make an ha'porth of difference to the wear rate (still plenty of tread left after 27000 miles on the Polygon / Dunlop version on our red 75 bhp High Up), but did make a significant difference to the grip, particularly in the wet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Strange.

I have 185/50/16 Continental (ContiEcoContact) all round on mine (with B14 coilovers though) and even in the wet, it's like being on rails.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Strange.

I have 185/50/16 Continental (ContiEcoContact) all round on mine (with B14 coilovers though) and even in the wet, it's like being on rails.
I agree, I like Conti's. Their wear rate and grip levels I've always found to be among the best. Had them on our Audi A6, several A4 Sport Avants, and others.
The wife's Tsi has them, and set at the pressures stated in my previous post, they are as good, if not better than all the others we've had on our Ups, including Bridgestones, Dunlop Maxx Sports, and the Goodyears on the Gti.
Their wear rate is certainly better than all the above.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got these because I couldn't get the Michelin Pilot SuperSport in the size I wanted. The Contis are reputed to have good wet grip, which is why I found this post quite surprising.

I have used them in the past on different cars too, never had any real issues with their price/performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar issue with the original Continental Premium Contact 2's that my High Up! came with - I've since replaced them with some Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres which seem to glue it to the road - the original Conti's seemed to let the back end wonder about way too much in the wet

·
Registered
635 Posts
My wife’s Move Up has the Ecopia 185/55/15 and even though they are eco based tyres it doesn’t grip bad at all. However on 165 width it would naturally have noticeably less grip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reduce your front pressures 0.2 bar to help the contact patch grip and increase your rear pressures 0.2-0.4 bar to slightly unsettle the rear.This will allow the front to turn-in better.ie..a better front-end.

·
Registered
595 Posts
For those of you with the B14s, what does it do to the composure and handling of the car.
I fitted Koni FSD shocks and Vogtland springs to my Fiat Abarth, and the ride was very firm, but so composed, you could take corners at any speed you wanted, knowing within reason, the car would just stick to the road and handle whatever you threw at it.

I knew that the Up Gti needed to be lowered a bit more, so invested in the B14s, which are tucked away safely in their box.
Along with the Milltek exhaust, that will probably be the full extent on my mechanical modifications to my Gti, keep the car as close to standard as possible.

I would still be interested to learn what the B14s will do to the cars behaviour and comfort levels, compared to the standard set up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts