Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems that the little city car is not so keen on the city because on each fill up we notice the MPG is going down. I have been working it out from each fill up and all my driving is done in town and this last fill only gave me 37mpg but 46mpg before and 49mpg before that. I think it is pretty poor for a car with such claims.

I also had a bit of an issue last week when I came to the lights and when it was time to go at green light little car even though I had not pulled handbrake would not go and I disengaged and re-engaged gears three times and would not go and so it sprung to mind that for some reason maybe the hill brake thingy had somehow activated when it should not have and would not go off as it felt like it was finding a biting points and engine was just revving. I then turned off ignition restarted after much hooting and fingers pulled at me it then decided to go and was fine after that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Must admit I am surprised at the varied mpg reported on this site. The claimed figures it has to be remembered are carried out in a lab and have no bearing on our own individual journeys or driving styles. I'm slightly disappointed at low 50's from my blue motion and I don't drive in the city.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mine is on the way down, but that is reflected in the colder weather. i'm getting 54mpg on a gentle 7 mile town run, where I was getting 65 in the summer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
tweeter1980: if the brakes are binding or the hill hold function is causing the brakes to stick, the centre of your wheels may feel unusually warm to the touch. It may be worth taking the centre cap off the wheel after a run and checking for excess heat. The fuel consumption of your car seems high even though you have been driving in built up areas.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The claimed urban/extra urban are static tests and are of no value in the real world imo.

We are currently getting 45mpg-ish and are ok with that.

How anyone gets 60-70mpg is beyond me unless they are driving pitifully slow and coasting down long hills etc etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've used 3 tank fills now in BM tech move up 60, journeys are mainly urban on B roads quite a bit of gear change and stop start. I drive normally I guess, 60 mph max and 30 mph through villages. My average is just under 52mpg, I'm hoping that will improve in warmer weather and when engine is a bit looser. That's worked out using brim to brim method I don't have maps and more or trip computer so I know it's bob on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been using mine for 8 weeks now and have covered over 4,000 miles.

After the initial running period the fuel consumption has settled down to 51-52 mpg on mainly cross-country motoring (80 mile per day commute).

The consumption does go down noticeably when there are lots of junctions etc. (in town of otherwise), more typical of my local weekend trips, when you have to keep accelerating to your cruising speed. 46-47mpg seems about right for this type of use.

Small engines seem to very sensitive to driving conditions/style - the Fiat 500 Twin Air seems to be the most extreme car in this regard.

I've also noticed my M&M tends to overstate the mpg by about 10% - so according to that I'm getting 56mpg!

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the last week I've driven 200 miles and average of 56npg. Now 1600and miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rednaxela said:
mine is on the way down, but that is reflected in the colder weather. i'm getting 54mpg on a gentle 7 mile town run, where I was getting 65 in the summer.
Snap. I was easily getting 67mpg in the summer, even 68mpg once. Now I get 55 to 58mpg, and I assumed it was the new journey and winter. So it could just be the weather. My Ford Ka was the same, 47mpg summer, 40mpg winter.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
VWXYZ said:
The claimed urban/extra urban are static tests and are of no value in the real world imo.

How anyone gets 60-70mpg is beyond me unless they are driving pitifully slow and coasting down long hills etc etc.
I drive at 60mph on dual carriage ways and motorways. To be honest I find not only do I use less fuel, it is also more relaxing as I sit in lane 1, no nutter behind, and no stress due to high speed requiring a lot of attention. I don't coast down hills, that is not a good idea as you are not in control of the car. I do go up to 5th as soon as I can, and keep a good distance from the car in front to minimize breaking (and increase safety in case they brake, and I am not entirely awake).

·
Registered
86 Posts
the lowest my mpg has gone is about 32!
mine is normally 35 to 40mpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hahaha thats possible!
I still think its good on miles tho lol it can't just be me that gets that many mpg.. I can't drive with changing gear when it tells me to I have tried when I fill up I try see how mamy mpg I can get from a full tank but after about 3 or 4 trips to work I just can't do the slow picking up speed changing the gears when it tells me to! :( ha ooops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
VWXYZ said:

I usually get about 65mpg, driving to work an back. I don't do anything in particular, mostly just obey audible speed warnings by M+M (set to warn if speeding more than what police here allegedly tolerate).

But it's mostly some twisty country roads where one cannot drive fast anyway, and with only a couple of traffic lights. I'd guess this actually matters more. Anywhere else (city, highway) it falls down to 50mpg and less.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I usually get about 40, but thats down to the way i drive...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking as an owner of a Polo 1.2 70,there is something not quite right here. My cars mpg is averaging the late fifties under all circumstances,so I'd expect the Up to be,at the very least to be the early sixties.I m
ust say,however,that I am a great fan of my car's engine,the tried and tested Skoda-derived 70 ps 12valve engine (don't confuse it with the much-inferior 60ps 6 valve version).Maybe the problem with the Up generally,is that everything about the car is so new,and will only improve as the bugs are ironed-out over time,and the Up will finally mature into a fine car!

·
Registered
430 Posts
My UP BMT is getting below claimed figures but is improving slightly. Last fill up I did 409 miles on 32 litres which I reckon is pushing high 50's which I'm well happy with to be honest.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I guess their figures will be the highest they can possibly achieve under lab conditions, so yes indeed, not representative of our various journeys and driving styles.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's all about driving style thismorning4 deg C out side temp and a 14 milejourney I still managed 70mpgaccordingto M+M, mainly traveling at 50mph with a few roundabouts and a couple of traffic lights

in the summer it was averaging 74mpg

1 - 20 of 62 Posts