Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My up! is now going into the garage tomorrow due to a gearbox fault!

Firstly, I was taking it to the garage as the car pulls to the left during normal driving but was told this was "due to the camber of the road"... not buying that! But when I mentioned that it crunches getting into reverse almost every time, even when completely stopped, they took it in to check the gearbox... looks like the linkage is fine and so the gearbox has developed some sort of fault... after 3 weeks

I'll keep you posted on what happens! Since it's brand new I'm gonna try to bargain for them to throw in free tracking for the trouble!

To make it worse, they reckon it'll take a few days to fix as they don't have any spare up! parts, and they can't give me a courtesy car as it's not their policy to give them to under 25's!

Let's see what happens tomorrow, shall we? It's a shame as I love the car but I've had pretty bad experience from the dealership
!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds a bit naf that they wont give you a Curt car! Having had simular issues with my gearbox failing in the first week of ownership I can sympathise!
It took the dealer about 6 working days to ship in the new gearbox and fit it.
(I ended up having the curt car longer than I had the up at that point!)

As for the pulling to the left, this happened to me after I had a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere in wales, changed to the spare, and had a garage just down the road put a new tyre on the alloy,
but they couldnt rebalance it. Once I got home the dealer agreed to balance it for free (I figured they owed me after the gearbox issue!) and it was resolved.

Either way I hope the sort it out real prompt!

Ben

·
Registered
587 Posts
Early up's! do seem to be developing a few gearbox issues not read any issues on the Citigo or Mii so far but not seen any on the road either!! Hope it is a quick fix and usual teething troubles of a new model are ironed out quickly.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Variable - exactly! Surely if you're old enough to drive and you buy a car from them then there's no reason not to be able to give you an equivalent car! The up! is driveable still but obviously would rather it be sorted than left. As for pulling to the left, I'll double check the tyre pressures tonight (not had time at the weekend to check it) and just make sure I've not got a puncture or something, but if it's just the tracking I'll see if I can get them to throw that in as you say, as they sort of owe me for the gearbox issue!

@jezyg - yup, hopefully! it's only 3 weeks old (well, 3 weeks on Wednesday) so it's the 2013 model with the hill hold control... so it's not an early early model, but either way hopefully it's a quick fix!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I agree. Old enough for them to take your money and give you 7 days VAG insurance? Then old enough for a courtesy car

·
Registered
432 Posts
The gearbox issue must be giving them a headache at the factory. I'm thinking they will have to redesign it. It's a new small unit specially made for the up! and the issue should have been picked up during the testing phase. They drive the prototypes for tens of thousands of miles, so I'm surprised they didn't have any problems...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ours is going in tomorrow too! Same problem, cruches into reverse and loud rattle/grind noise from the layshaft or input bearing on idle, clutching into gears is very clunky and rattles/grinds all the time. Has done it for a while but it seems to be much more noticeable, especially the idle noise, wakes the neighbours if I don't hold the clutch down in the morning! I thought the accelerating noise was the exhaust at first but if I slip the clutch under accelerating load the noise goes which makes me suspect the box rather than the engine! The cars just clocked 4,000 miles on the way home today!
Fortunately we don't need a car for the day but if it's any longer we shall be demanding one I'm sure! I'll post the garage's response! Edited by: Ashy87

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Be interesting to hear if the outcomes are the same

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good luck both!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't had a car yet that doesn't clunk and grind when you put it reverse!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's a shamejavawag and ashy87,hope your up's get sorted as quickly as possible

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@bugbabe34 - Totally agree! If I'm old enough to take out nearly £12k of finance, I can't see why a courtesy car for a week should be any problem! (plus, my insurance says I'm allowed a courtesy car in the event of a crash... and the insurance is done by VW!)

@ashy87- Ahh, at least I'm not alone then! Yup, 1st -> 2nd gear is also not as smooth as it should be, and very occasionally (well, 4 times in 3 weeks so not that occasionally), it'll simply refuse to get into first gear, it gets stuck halfway and even returning to neutral and putting it back in doesn't fix it - you have to put it in neutral, fully lift the clutch pedal and then put the clutch back down and get it in gear! should be interesting to see how our experiences differ - where did you get your up! from if you don't mind me asking?

@SiJ2000 ""“ thanks!

@ZumbaQueen ""“ true, but generally it's if you're not quite stopped and you put it in reverse - mine you can literally come to a complete stop, hold it in neutral for about 5 seconds, and then put it in and it still goes crunch! Or that's my (limited) experience anyways!

@Abs ""“ thanks! me too, other than that it's an amazing little car
!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine does it every morning as I have to reverse out of my parking space from complete stop

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well VW said the noise is nothing serious, they said its down to it being a small, less soundproofed car. I can understand their point but still not convinced, anyway, just have to see how it goes, she did say they've had a few complaints of this nature so maybe a future recall will solve it if it becomes common. Speaking of recalls, there were two available on our car, one for an ECU bracket and one for water drains, trivial I suppose although we get enough rain here that I'd prefer my drains to be up to scratch!

It'll be interesting to hear how Joe got on too, hopefully no serious issues either!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I haven't posted earlier, had a really busy day sorting out the car and trying to work from home etc etc!

Basically, they took it in and a few hours later called back to say that while there's definitely a fault with the gearbox or the clutch, they can't find what the fault is exactly - so they've had to defer to VW for advice. Meanwhile, VW won't give me a courtesy car unless the dealership can state exactly what the problem is, as apparently they don't like to give out courtesy cars only to find out the problem can be solved in like an hour. So the way it stands at the moment is they still don't quite know what the problem is, although they accept there is a problem, and I have no courtesy car yet as Europcar haven't contacted me about delivery yet.

All in all, going well
haha!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Joe that's not an ideal situation. I hope they decide quickly what's wrong with it Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
39 Posts
My old polo developed a gearbox fault when new. But vw were great and was quickly sorted . Fingers crossed same happens for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got my courtesy car this morning ""“ bit smoother but could be due to it being "run in" a bit more (it's another up!)...

But! The annoying thing is ""“ this one does the same thing!! So must be a "feature" of the up! I guess! If anyone feels generous/bored/intrigued could they try it out:

1) Clutch down, put the car into 1st, then keeping the clutch down move it to reverse - smooth
2) Clutch down, put the car in reverse, then keeping the clutch down move it to neutral. release the clutch, and then clutch down and put it in reverse - CRUNCH. you can actually repeat this indefinitely by moving to neutral, clutch up, clutch down, into reverse.

So... not sure what the VW garage will make of the issue but doesn't seem to just be mine doing it... rats.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does your car have a sunroof - re: the roof drains recall or is it all models?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Javawag said:
Finally got my courtesy car this morning ""“ bit smoother but could be due to it being "run in" a bit more (it's another up!)...

But! The annoying thing is ""“ this one does the same thing!! So must be a "feature" of the up! I guess! If anyone feels generous/bored/intrigued could they try it out:

1) Clutch down, put the car into 1st, then keeping the clutch down move it to reverse - smooth
2) Clutch down, put the car in reverse, then keeping the clutch down move it to neutral. release the clutch, and then clutch down and put it in reverse - CRUNCH. you can actually repeat this indefinitely by moving to neutral, clutch up, clutch down, into reverse.

So... not sure what the VW garage will make of the issue but doesn't seem to just be mine doing it... rats.
I can only say I have never noticed a crunching sound when going into reverse. I have crunched the gears a few times, but that is me not engaging the clutch properly, ahem ...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts