Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a Move Up 2013 with 25,000 miles.

Drives lovely.

But have noticed when stationary and idling, there is more of a rattley engine noise which goes away when I press the clutch pedal down. Then when I release the clutch pedal, the noise comes back.

This is just when idling sitting there with the handbrake on.

Does this sound like anything to worry about?

Thanks in anticipation :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi!

I've got a 2012 High up, nearly 61k. Have had this little rattly thing for a while. It's not ever given me issues, despite the fact that the gearbox in itself on the earlier up models are a bit weird.

You may also find when it's cold, it sometimes doesn't like reversing and then going into first, or sometimes it will just grind its way into reverse.

Volkswagen up things!

·
Registered
551 Posts
It is NOT the clutch throwout bearing. Its the idler gear that's rattling. It's completely the opposite of a clutch release bearing noise. Defective clutch release bearing makes a noise when you depress the clutch.
It's actually crap idler gear bearings / not big enough / too slack tolerances. You're right in it being built to a price, but diagnosis is incorrect. The reason the noise goes when you depress the clutch is that you're loading the assembly up. and therefore it removes the rattle. Most of the cars that have it, have had it from near new (both our previous High Ups had it).
See the thread above.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As they did it when car was new I would say it is characteristics. At least my 2013 and 2014 Citigo did. And uneven running of 3cyl engine makes even more gearbox rattle. Nothing to worry about though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts