Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and hope to use it more in the near future! I am having a few problems with my new (two year old) Volkswagen up!, that I bought just over a month ago now.

A very annoying intermittent click/knocking noise obtrudes from the clutch pedal whenever it is depressed. It is very noticeable after driving for around half an hour and is really driving me crazy. Now I may have a problem with having a clicking noise, but I really feel it should not be there!! This problem only came to light after a few days after getting the car, so it was not apparent when I purchased it.

Now this is where I might up going on a bit of a rant (sorry in advance). The short story is that Volkswagen won't have anything to do with this (mainly because I think they want to save money), and I have been liaising with both my local dealership and Volkswagen customer care. My local dealership won't have anything to do with the matter and they claim that it is just "cosmetic issue" that is an "characteristic with the car" (I wonder if it would be a characteristic of the car if the door fell off?), which I think is a very poor excuse to try and get away from fixing the underlying problem! I was optimistic that something was going to get done when I contacted customer care after my visit, but after they spoke to the dealership they just reiterated what had been said there that there had been a notification put out for the fault, but this did not warrant a repair!!

I have been totally let down by VW, and considering I have had to save up quite a considerable amount of money from my part time job to pay for the car (I'm only 19), I was expecting much more from such a well established car manufacturer. What do I do now? Do I have any legal rights? The car is still under warranty, and the sole reason why I chose a volkswagen is because of its quality and customer car. But if they refuse to fix the problem, then I'm afraid it will probably be my last car from them!

Other than that and the problem of not being able to select first or reverse gear a lot of the time, its been a good little car. But customer car is rubbish to say the least!

Sorry for the rant! Al :)

Edited by: Alex095

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add I have visited the dealership twice. The first time I went to book an appointment, waited there for an hour until i got fed up and asked when i would be seen, for them to reply that they forgot I was there (I think it was a mistake though). Anyway, they got a technician out who sat with me while I test drove the car, and immediately he noticed that the clicking noise was not right, and said himself it would be something that they would fix. However, the lead technician said that it was a fault that they could not fix as it was "cosmetic". The second time I visited them (same dealership), after talking to customer services, the same lead technician (who said that it was a cosmetic issue) did an inspection and just reiterated what he said last time.

I am really annoyed by the way that they are treating their customers like this by not repairing faults!! I fear if I want to sell the car on, they will be put off by a thumping noise coming from the clutch!!

Anyway, any advice and help will be appreciated!! I'm really sorry that you had to read through all my rants but I am really angry by this situation!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You could try taking it to another vw dealer from a different chain. I did this with a previous car and the issue got sorted first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine makes a similar noise and the mechanics advised me that it was something to do with the brackets or teeth around the clutch that need tightening - a simple fix really. Might be worth mentioning this to them?

I have been experiencing a whistling noise from my engine. VW advised me this was normal, I then requested in writing from VW Germany, written explanation/confirmation as to why VW manufacture their vehicles to whistle. I am waiting on a response.

You could do the same by going through customer care. Best to put everything in writing as they must respond to you in writing as it give the consumer further ammunition.

Best of luck with it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm going to contact both customer services and the dealership I original bought the car from and see if I can have another inspection. It sounds like you really have to pester volkswagen in order to get the problem repaired... what a horrible way of dealing problems with your customers. Anyway, I will update you all when I get back to them and see what happens!

Thanks again, Al :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SWM said:
Mine makes a similar noise and the mechanics advised me that it was something to do with the brackets or teeth around the clutch that need tightening - a simple fix really. Might be worth mentioning this to them?

I have been experiencing a whistling noise from my engine. VW advised me this was normal, I then requested in writing from VW Germany, written explanation/confirmation as to why VW manufacture their vehicles to whistle. I am waiting on a response.

You could do the same by going through customer care. Best to put everything in writing as they must respond to you in writing as it give the consumer further ammunition.

Best of luck with it all.

This sounds like it might be the problem. The car never wants to go into first or reverse gear when you are fully stopped. Sometimes when you think you are in gear there is a metallic grinding noise even though the gearstick is in the position it is suppose to be in. Maybe the teeth don't engage properly? Getting really annoyed about all of these issues!! Will get back to the original dealership. Thanks, Al

·
Registered
851 Posts
VW were never able to completely solve the gearbox issues - so for MY2015 models, a new gearbox is used. These are easy to identify because reverse is to the left and push down and forward. The old reverse is to the right and pull back. It would be good if someone with the new gearbox could review it and advise on whether all the old issues have been resolved by the new gearbox.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had two ups. A 62 reg in which the clutch never clicked and a 14 reg which clicks occasionally. I was told that it is the self adjuster and that it shouldn't activate while the vehicle is moving.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dealer told me that it wasn't a new gearbox, just new linkage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. Its interesting that its taken volkswagen this long to solve all of these problems!! 2-3 years is a long time for a problem to be resolved!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a video of the clicking/knocking problem that volkswagen calls a 'characteristic of the car'. I'm really sorry about the footage not being that great (my camera mount started moving around!), but hopefully the knocking noise is apparent. Just to add the noise can get louder than what is shown in the video!!

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/XMJM0m_Qmgo[/TUBE]

As mentioned above, do you think it would be wise to go to the original dealer where I bought the car from and see if they give a different report? I'm just worried that I'm going to get charged a fair bit of money for diagnostics as I've already been to another dealer!

Thanks, Al :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update. My local mechanic has confirmed that the pedal box that is at fault (only took him 5 minuets), and that the plastic parts inside have worn. This is obviously a different conclusion from volkswagen who said it was the input shafts at fault, but since the noise is coming from the dash area I am sure that this is not the case! Going to ring the dealer I bought the car from and get them to do a diagnostic check, and will go from there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For me, the clicking is just a noise, annoying, but just a noise. However, our gearbox works fine so your grinding/not engaging wants sorting. Unfortunately anybody these days who think that vw has better quality than anyone else is sadly mistaken. Like everything else,nothing is built to last forever as they can't then sell you another one. I am now on my fourteenth VW and they are not perfect by a long way (but at least they look good).

·
Registered
176 Posts
In previous threads, where other members had complained about a clicking noise upon releasing the clutch pedal, they mentioned that their dealership had replaced the clutch pedal assembly, thus, curing the annoying clicking sound, so your local mechanic is probably right on the money in his assessment.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No one should just except comments like "O" it's just cosmetic or it does not matter you can only just hear it.

IF YOUR DEALER HAS TOLD YOU THAT THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM & YOU THINK DIFFERENTLY THEN REPORT THE PROBLEM DIRECT TO VW AND DON'T GIVE UP, If a lot more peopleComplained then the car manufactures (Not just VW) wouldstart taking more notice

Always remember if you don't report it to VW then they will NOT know about it !!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would like to know what percentage on Ups sold have the clutch knocking problem. it must be very high and V,W. DO NOT SEEM INTERESTED IN SOLVEING THE PROBLEM. I have done 9000 now and mine is now getting on my wick.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The click on release is apparently the self-adjuster and is normal. Mine was making a loud snap/click as if it was catching on something and it was when you pressed, not released. Dealer replaced the clutch pedal assembly under warranty and this fixed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi there,

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread. I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this problem! I am taking my car into the original dealer next week to get a second (and hopefully successful) inspection of the problem. I am not going to give up with this now as it takes the biscuit that volkswagen has the audacity to ignore customers' complaints about the problem. Hopefully my second go will be more successful (they did sound more optimistic about fixing it over the phone).

I really hate kicking up a fuss, but since I have wasted so much time and money (phone calls to head office, transport to and from the dealer, petrol used etc etc) I might as well carry on. Its the fact that everything else in the car is so quite, the knocking noise from the pedal is amplified much more than normal (gets really annoying in stop start traffic).

I will update this thread when I take the car for another inspection next week.

Many thanks, Al :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is obvious that problem are there. My up! is six months old and is going to service beacuse it doesnt start the engine
, it leaks water out of rear window nozzle and yes the clutch is cliking like crazy. Right now i am not very happy. More info after service inspection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts