Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried yesterday to update the unit from factory install to 7.14 i think. Everythink went fine but then when i tried to start it up it gets in a loop where a start screen with navigon logo comes up and the it restarts over and over again. The only way to get back was to reset to factory install. Any tips what could be the reason and how to upgrade ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks @cadfael, i will do the update again and have some patience and see if it works. So after the update is done i just leave it and after some time it will come up with "connect to car" ?

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
The 'reset to factory defaults' shouldn't remove the update. At least, it would be very odd if it did. It should really just return all the settings to default.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
rockarn said:
OK thanks @cadfael, i will do the update again and have some patience and see if it works. So after the update is done i just leave it and after some time it will come up with "connect to car" ? Thanks
Correct.

Sad/Bad thing: All your private settings ("Home", "Favorites", phone setting) are deleted!!!
You have to install it as it were new!

I first also had problems "finding" my Smartphone S4 via bluetooth.
But it worked some hours later ...

·
Registered
325 Posts
It must not have installed, then, because the new one overwrites the old one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@cadfael i didn´t have anyting on it anyway so it didn´t really matter :) I will try to update it tonight and have more patience..i didn´t wait for the unit more then maybe 10 minutes after the update. The thing is also that i can´t update the maps either since it needs to be upgraded first. Right now i have maps from like Q2 2012 which is a little bit old i think...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do you have a Garmin or a Navigon???
The firmware update is only for Garmins as far as I know.

Did you try to update the maps of all contries? This doesn't work as the flash card is too small.
You have to select the countries you want or "de-select" countries you will surely never drive to (maybe Spain, Greek, Ukraine, Rumania - countries with large maps).

Then the map update should work on a GARMIN ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got my Garmin unit today and updated the firmware to latest. Having the same issue with the startup screen cycling repeatedly and the unit not starting up.

Rockarn, did yours resolve itself or did you just leave as recommended by Cadfael?

Currently about 30mins of cycling screen...

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got my up just over a year ago and only tried to update the maps and more a few weeks ago - after I applied several updates, the unit wouldn't start and only kept restarting over and over again. After leaving it for an hour it was still not working so I factory reset it and started again.

This evening, I tried connected it to my laptop and found I had to install all the same updates again. Once the last one finished, it stopped working again. It's now sitting next to me, restarting repeatedly. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had similar first time I did an update only came out of this once connected to the car whilst ignition on. Don't know if this helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tried that, but it still had no effect.

In an interesting development, I tried restoring a backup that I made last time I tried the update but before I did a factory reset and now the device is working with the new software even though it wasn't when I made the backup. I have no idea why that worked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. Going to bring the unit in to the house and charge it fully tomorrow from a mains charger I have for a different garmin model. Will see if it updates properly after that... will also do the backup just in case...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, so the problem was simply that the Maps and More unit (Garmin in this case) needed to be fully charged to run the software update. No problem installing today at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts