Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the fake noise added by the soundaktor when I'm nipping round town or enjoying a quick blast along a B road like the 18 year old I still half-believe I am, but it gets right on my t**s when I'm on a long journey on the motorway/dual carriageway ! Yes, it's only faint when you're on a light throttle at a steady cruise at 70, but if you have to push up a long hill, or squeeze into a gap to overtake, whatever, then it is boomy and droney and just unwelcome in that situation.

This is a thread to document an attempt to create a reliable switch and wiring loom to allow the driver to switch the soundaktor on or off while driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To recap, the soundaktor is a resonator, a sort of cross between a motor and a speaker coil, that generates different frequencies and amplitude of vibration according to engine speed and load and which transmits it into the body at the base of the windscreen. It sits on the metal tab in the centre of this picture:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures of the wiring connector:
IMG_20210501_084848311_MP.jpg IMG_20210501_084911680_MP.jpg IMG_20210501_084839730_MP.jpg

As noted on another thread, the connector is fairly easy to unplug if you pull back the light grey locking tab and then depress the protruding end slightly as you pull the connector (pull right to left then press down on the left hand end as seen in the 2nd picture).

I've searched ebay for a male and female pair of compatible connectors and have ordered this:

(You can get other versions that are pre-wired but the wire lengths provided won't be enough)

The idea is to create a "T" adapter that plugs in between the original connector and the soundaktor and runs through the bulkhead to a switch somewhere on the dash. Doing it this way avoids cutting any factory wiring.

Would welcome any thoughts on switch placement and whether I need a relay or just a simple switch. I would think the current running through those wires is pretty low ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
With OBDeleven you can change the volume I'm currently running at 80% much better including for motorway driving. You could set it to zero for a long journey if wanted

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I need a physical switch capable of being operated by swmbo....

I might turn the level down a bit permanently anyway with obdeleven, would like to hear a bit more natural engine and exhaust noise. Do you know if carista is capable of altering that setting ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if a resistor ladder would work. I have a few lying around from old speaker projects where I had to attenuate the tweeter....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I need a physical switch capable of being operated by swmbo....

I might turn the level down a bit permanently anyway with obdeleven, would like to hear a bit more natural engine and exhaust noise. Do you know if carista is capable of altering that setting ?
I have the carista beta and you can alter the level of noise. I have mine at 100%

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
With OBDeleven you can change the volume I'm currently running at 80% much better including for motorway driving. You could set it to zero for a long journey if wanted
Having read this the other day I tried a few different levels and 80% is spot on for me too. Still fruity nipping about but no more drone on the motorway.

Reactions: Mark.cup

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have set mine at 50% via carista but it's too faint. Think I will put it at about 70% and add the physical switch as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts