Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle nearly 3 years ago we got our Up GTi after a very long wait and a very poor service from our local dealer!

We loved it straight away but after a short while the car almost begged to be enhanced in a few areas... I felt it had a lot of untapped potential and had probably been held back not to upset the Polo GTi.

I have never modified a car before but if you are one of the people who heavily frowns upon these things probably best to stop reading now.

I had a thought of what if VW had made a clubsport? and decided that everything done to the car had to be an improvement if not it would revert back to factory spec,only one thing didn't meet the standard which is to be better but not compromised as an everyday usable car so we didn't want something that would shake us to death or be noisy and unbearable.

The car particularly for the price we paid being one of the 1st batch and qualifying for 拢1800 scrappage allowance on a car that was worth a couple hundred pounds plus a little discount was amazing as standard but I hated the arch gap and how tucked in the lovely diamond cut wheels were!
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle within the 1st couple of weeks we had put 205/40/17 Dunlop RT2 tyres on for added protection and a eco tyre on a go kart didn't feel right, next maybe a year down the line we added spacers 12mm ST DZ rear 7.5mm ST DZX on the front. The handling was brilliant and the car felt more planted with the wider track but that arch gap as above was really bugging me...

We fitted some Vogtland springs probably just shy of 2 years next the car looked so much better was lovely around town but after a couple of months and a couple of motorway runs on some typical UK sunken roads it was obvious the shocks were very weak we both felt like we had been on a fairground ride on one dip馃檲

As mentioned if it doesn't improve everything then it would have to come off more on that later.

We fitted a racingline turbo elbow and panel filter which had sat around for months for fear of it being noisy and needing to come back off I need not have worried no more noise and the only difference was if you stamped on the throttle and lifted back off a bit of turbo flutter which sounds really good but when driving on the motorway etc just as refined as ever with the 80% sound actuator setting through Obdeleven.

I had also changed the steering and brake settings with Obdeleven which were both subtle but worthwhile improvements!

The car around this point went for a APR remap which with the breathing mods totally transformed the car.

Not long after I started looking at suspension again I decided that I wasn't risking doing it again and went for what I had always wanted but was too tight to pay for the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, due to covid it took a while to fit these with my stepson doing the rears one month and the fronts several months later.

They rode pretty well when fitted but due to the spacers would occasionally catch on the front on the spats we adjusted them several times over the coming months and removed the spats the car now sits slightly higher at the front than on the Vogtlands but each time we went up a touch it rode even better. The rears sit lower than the Vogtlands in our final adjustment several months again but that's me being a perfectionist. The car now on a full tank sits pretty level which looks really good I never wanted it to look slammed just how I feel a GTi should look and I think that's been achieved!

We even took slow motion videos over speed bumps to check for clearance on the various different settings and watched it back like a hawk 馃槀

We switched to the Michelin PS4's a superb tyre but they need a lot more pressure than the previous tyres (soft sidewall) at our previous pressures they literally destroyed the very expensive suspensions previously excellent ride. Now after a few different settings 35psi front 32 rear the car rides better than standard,has none of the rear bounce you can get and handles probably better than my Clio 182 cup.

We have done some other small cosmetic bits red GTi badge overlays front and rear and my favourite one on the steering wheel.

Alloy TT style pedals and GTi latch plates.

The car doesn't look modified which was exactly what I wanted but looks and goes a whole lot better and everything has cost 拢1600 not counting the spare Vogtland springs 馃槵

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Sky The car how it stands today we love it even more we've been all over Wales including Snowdonia also all over Cornwall and many other places it's a brilliant all-rounder nippy around town,great fuel consumption, amazing on a b road and totally refined on the motorway so mission accomplished for now I would say. Sorry about the long post I have photos of various bits along the way if anyone is interested.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky stance shot

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle with his older big brother 馃槑

Registered
Excellent modifications and a piece I will hang onto for future reference as I to intend to hang onto and lightly modify my, on order Gti over the long term. I have to expose my ignorance here by asking you about the 80% Sound Actuator am I to understand that this may be set at various levels ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I purchased Obdeleven with a pro licence and you can set it anywhere from off all the way up to 100% as it comes from factory. At 80% you still get the sound when really pushing on but you don't get the silly noise on the motorway just for brushing the throttle to pass a car etc.

Makes it much more refined for long distance driving without taking the excitement away I did try lots of different settings but much lower and I found the car lost a bit of its personality

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

A couple of better shots on the flat with a full tank I think with the spacers and at this height it really makes the arches front and rear look very muscular.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting White Hood Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Tints and shades Electric blue Gear shift White Car Light Vehicle Hand Purple Gadget Bag Communication Device

Some of the little cosmetic bits that make it feel a bit more personal and a little bit more special

Registered
Hi Mark

It makes a lovely change for me to respond to one of your posts rather the other way round :)

I really enjoyed reading your thread and seeing how you have improved the car so much by focussing on what matters!

I'm sure with everything you've done to the car it drives superbly and by the sound of it you have had some long challenging drives to test it out (y)

I concur with your feelings about the wheel arch gap and I will take inspiration from that when I attend to my suspension set-up!

You have convinced me to get the turbo elbow and I will add this to my long list of things to purchase.

Do you think wheel spacers would be advantageous to my build project? I hear mixed things about them :unsure:.

As a fellow 5 door Red UP GTI owner I know we both hit the configuration jackpot 馃帠

Micky

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mickyboy yes it does make a change 馃槈 I've been wanting to do a write up for a while initially I thought nobody was particularly interested or maybe it was so well written people felt no need to respond 馃ぃ

Anyway it was hard remembering everything in the correct order applied to the car over nearly 3 years and I thought it may help people particularly the spacers/wider tyres making the coilover set up a little more fIddly to get just right some issues would present themselves once in several months of driving!

As tempting as it was to say oh well it's happened once in 3 months no big deal I wanted to then rectify that issue like a manufacturer testing for every possible scenario.

Luckily coilovers give you so much adjustment and are pretty easy to do we can now adjust both front or both rears in about 5 minutes on a ramp.

Spacers have made the car more planted on the road but possibly with yours being more track biased you may find you can run the car lower if needed without spacers causing any issues!

They were mainly for looks initially but as I've said if they made the car worse then they would have come off.

Red 5 door is my favourite after seeing all colours and number of doors on the road 馃槏

Registered
Great write-up Mark. It's always helpful to have it set out clearly in one post what someone has done to their car and in what order, especially when it's ride and handling related.

I've just ordered a set of PS4. Itching to get the bling original wheels back on...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
tsi17 is it you that bought the non GTi Pro Street S coilovers and were looking for the firmer front springs? I think they ride really well there is the odd time when you do notice those heavy wheels but it's the craters in the road rather than the car!

I drive lots of different cars and some have very soft suspension and big sidewalled tyres and you still have to dodge lots of the above mentioned craters unless you want to snap a spring which is so common these days.

Thanks regarding the post 馃憤 the PS4's are great especially in wet weather my previous tyres were good but the difference the PS4's bring in wet traction with a remap was very noticeable.

I've definitely like them at 35psi front 32psi rear but they weren't too bad at 37psi front 35psi rear when loaded up for a recent weekend away the Dunlop's or the original eco tyres would have been horrendous at those pressures.

Registered
Yeah that's me. Non GTI Pro Street kit still sat in its box in the garage, with the 200 day return period ticking away. I think as the summer winds down and I start to get bored, I will finally make a decision what to do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Year 3 service carried out today with my stepson paperwork to back it up for the labour and receipts for the VW genuine parts and the oil to be attached!

We also did a brake fluid change all for a fraction of the cost of a main dealer and no anxiety about the car being damaged I just need to reset the service indicator with Obdeleven now 馃榿

1st MOT booked for a couple of weeks time

Registered
You can reset the service indicators (oil or inspections both) by using the trip reset button in a couple of secs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did think that was the case but thought I would try the app on Obdeleven and I wanted to see if I could turn off the cornering lights at the same time

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just don't really like them my other half has pulled up in a turning circle when it's dark and you can see it come on for one side it looks very strange to me... I am a bit special before anyone else says it 馃檲馃ぃ

Registered
Oh! It's not like the swivelling lights on a Citroen DS21 then?
If not, it sounds like a cheap gimmick...!
(I expect your other half caught you being up to no good :) )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just lights up one of the fog lights in the direction you are turning and looks very strange

1 - 20 of 38 Posts