Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this update is too big to fit every country on the device. The obvious thing to do is to just install the countries that you need, or am I missing something? Can anything else be deleted to make space?

Thanks...

Edited by: Umiamz

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked like the only things I could delete were the existing maps and speed cameras - at least they were the only ones with a dustbin icon next to them.

In the end I decided that it was very unlikely that I would be taking my up to Albania, etc. and just installed the maps from Q1 2014 that I'm likely to use (UK and surrounding countries). It appears to delete the rest from your device so I now have almost 1GB free :)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
the device memory is limited, you are not meant to shove the world onto it...I found the device faster and less glitchy with just UK&Ireland on it, if I ever venture abroad, I'll upload the countries I need.

there are some other freebies you can download like an up manual, roadsign pro etc etc
Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Privatedoc, that makes sense. One thing I don't like about the Fresh software is that it doesn't appear to show which version of the maps are installed on your device (unless I've missed something). In the downloads section it says, e.g. "UK - Q1 2014" but on the device it just says "UK".

Also, it would be useful if, in the downloads section, it could pre-select the maps that you have installed so that you don't need to go through and tick them all.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
At the speed at which new roads are built in this country is it necessary to have the latest update? I never bother to update my navigation aids and have never yet had a problem finding my destination.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beevee said:
At the speed at which new roads are built in this country is it necessary to have the latest update? I never bother to update my navigation aids and have never yet had a problem finding my destination.

Probably not - you never know when you're going to get caught out, though. I visited relatives at the weekend and there were two new sections of dual carriageway that weren't there last time (4 months ago).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi people,
I don't know if this will help you but it is all I can offer because I did notbuy the Maps and More option. I haverecently had the problemwith updating my Garmin Nuvi 1490tdue to the lack of memory on the device.

Easy solution Option1) Add a SD card and run the software from that, sadly this may slow your device downa fair bit.
Slightly more tricky Option 2) Follow the youtube like at the end of this paragraph, the text within explains the need to COPY DIRECTLY OVER the original map dataon your devicewith the new map data ( remember the back upthe old datafirstincase you need it one day ). No need for a second map file on the same device. Within the newer Garmin devices the map data files are hidden but can be found using the search option in Windows and searching for GMAPS. Once you find these hidden files you will be asked to copy you new map data over the old. When you boot up your device the OS will load up what ever map is in this hidden GMAP file letting you use the new maps without a hint of trouble. Like I said I do not have M&M but i'm pretty sure Garmin will be using this newer Hidden file system all the same. Hope i've help even if it's just a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBluw-_MOK0

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately you can't run the software from an SD card with M&M. Also, the Fresh software used for updating does overwrite the existing maps rather than adding a second copy.

The only solution is not to try and install the whole of Europe and just pick the countries you need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Umiamz said:
Yes, Privatedoc, that makes sense. One thing I don't like about the Fresh software is that it doesn't appear to show which version of the maps are installed on your device (unless I've missed something). In the downloads section it says, e.g. "UK - Q1 2014" but on the device it just says "UK".

Also, it would be useful if, in the downloads section, it could pre-select the maps that you have installed so that you don't need to go through and tick them all.
Take a look in Navigation .. Options .. Settings .. Map Display .. Page 2 and you should see the version of the installed map under 'Countries in'.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RDA said:
Take a look in Navigation .. Options .. Settings .. Map Display .. Page 2 and you should see the version of the installed map under 'Countries in'.

Thanks, I hadn't spotted that :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes it definitely does make sense why have maps of other countries when you may never go there plus you will have more space for other downloads I have only my tom tom ,live plus my samsung google live quite happy WHEN I Use ,not very much
phill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts