Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I am curious, if you already have a personilized registration that you can transfer to the new up!, would we still have to pay what the dealer charges for number plates? If I remember this amount is included in the £452 delivery charges. Just wondering if it is something worth mentioning to the dealer really......Edited by: GPVG26

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Yes, they still need to make the plates

·
Registered
705 Posts
But they might not have the holes in the right places when attaching them to an up! And they need to have the selling dealers details on them.

Nick

·
Registered
265 Posts
Collas said:
But they might not have the holes in the right places when attaching them to an up! And they need to have the selling dealers details on them.

Nick
No, they don't. I'm also doing a reg transfer and arguably if you are supplying the plates then either you are not charged for another set or they give you the duplicate set. I will be getting my own plates but didn't bother to request money off for the 'included plates'

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just a point:

The plates are not pre-drilled for an up!

They are drilled on site. There are no pre-appointed spots for holes to be drilled into the plate locations either.

We had our plates stuck on - did not want our up! drilled even into plastic.

I don't think the dealer has to have their details on the plate though unless they supply the plate.

If the OP has their own plates then they should have the plate supplier number on them already which should be fine.

I would be unhappy to pay for new plates if I supplied my own.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I had a personal reg I still had pay the £80 assignment fee or put the plate on retention to betransferredonto the new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I was considering having rectangular plates I asked the dealer not to put the plates on and I was given the original plates. I didn't even think about asking for some money off. That said, the legal rectangular plates didn't fit and I opted for the normal ones in the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes the dealer recieves a small amount of money to pay for the pair of plates but wether its worth supplying a set of scabby old plates off an old car to save that small amount of money im not sure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i tried to put my private reg straight from the dealer but they didnt bother. i have to pay extra for the transfer fee and to get plates made!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My dealer sorted it all out for me! He even took the form in for me along with my cheque. So I don't know what reg my car would have had. Whereas I did when I first got my new beetle.

I thought this was standard proceedure!Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Starshaped said:
Yes the dealer recieves a small amount of money to pay for the pair of plates but wether its worth supplying a set of scabby old plates off an old car to save that small amount of money im not sure.
They are brand new plates. I just bought the reg through the dvla.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Isn't there some ruling that all number plates have to have the name of the garage or firm that supplied them on the actual plate to help stop any one making up plates? We have cherished number plates on 2 cars and the dealers more often than not do the change over free but we always pay for the plates!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had to look at my invoice yesterday for mynGAP insurance and the plates and fitting show as £20 plus vat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts