Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day uppers!

I'm looking into purchasing a roof rack for my 4 door up to carry a mountain bike (or two)

I'm aware that VW sells their own roof rack and bike carrier attachments, and they're high quality gear from what I've heard (although a bit pricey!)

Here in Australia, Thule is the only aftermarket company I've discovered that sells racks andaccessoriesfor the up. Their equipment also sounds to have a good reputation.

My question is, who on here has had experience with roof racks and bike carriers on their ups?

Also, does anybody know if it is possible to carry two bikes with VW's rack/bike carrier? It doesn't state it in the brochure, just the 50kg load limit.

Cheers!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thule products are OK.

They do have a hitch for the up! that allows you to carry a bike rack on the rear - but no towing !
A bike rack on the rear is far more efficient than putting bikes on the roof.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thule stuff is great, you can't go wrong there.
Also, as far a I'm aware you can carry two bikes without a problem yes.
I routinely carry one on mine, and wouldn't have a second thought about mounting another

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I've got the thule bars....fantastic, on and secure in under a minute, carried loads, wood, bikes etc etc , get the aerobars with the T-System, That way it looks sleek, locks and is a great setup

actually, I had the system from my previous car, a merc....all I needed to do was buy a foot pack for about £20 and it fits perfectly,

that will be the solution then!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was on a bit of a break for a while there, but I'm back.Thanks guys for the quick and very helpful responses!

I'm leaning towards the Thule Aerobars and the ProRide 591 for the bikes. I'll be ringing around for some quotes to compare to what it would cost on ebay and such.

A rear mounted carrier would be the more efficient choice, but I'll need to carry more than just the bikes as a kayak should be on the way soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I'd update.

I had Thule Aerobars and a ProRide 591 fitted today. It fits and looks great!

Looks like I'll be hitting the trail tomorrow

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the genuine roof bars, they look to me as if the clamps will scratch the paint when fitted. There are no rubber pads on the clamps, just metal to metal!!
I've had roof racks before, never seen a metal clamp that is in direct contact with the cars paintwork.
Any comments ?
Waiting to take it into VW as I daren't fit it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts