Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to say I love my new Gti, my only complaint is it's not as quick revving, the revs don't seem to drop off that quickly when you dump the clutch etc.

Has anyone found an improvement to this? Is it a heavy flywheel issue or software?
Does a remap help?

Cheers

·
Banned
645 Posts
This is only a reflection on what i have discovered, after having my Gti remapped at JBS in Chesterfield.
I cannot comment on what other owners think about their cars , but on my return from Chesterfield, the first thing i did notice after my Stage 1 remapping of the TSI engine, was the very smooth delivery of engine power, it simply wanted to rev almost from a stand still, there was no breathlessness at the top end, the power delivery was right through the rev range.

I certainly know what you mean about the Gti engines rather breathless nature at its top end and inability to rev quickly throughout its rev range, that i can assure you is now missing from my car.

The very linear delivery of power from my remapped engine, provides impressive acceleration, and it doesn't feel the engine is being strangled at its top end.

The only issue now, is that its very easy to over rev the engine, the power delivery is so smooth, and you almost feel as if the car would accelerate forever, and the acceleration in the lower gears is very impressive, so different to what i remember when the car was in standard tune.

The engine note is considerably quieter, and the engine considerably smoother than the standard factory car, and with the increase in torque you can soon lose traction with the Good Years if you accelerate quickly away from a junction, the increase in torque and power is very noticeable, and is quite addictive on the narrow B roads here in North Wales

The answer to your question, is that its the cars ECU software that is the main issue, and a remap will transform your car.

My car is a very low mileage example, and even after my remapping last September, its only covered 259 miles, but the transformation after the remapping was instant.

On my journey home to Wales, the weather was simply too poor to experience the transformation, but just recently on a trip towards the Race track on Anglesey, the cars acceleration was outstanding, it just seemed to want to accelerate indefinitely, a totally different car to what i took delivery of last March.

I realise remapping a car is not for everyone, especially within its three yr warranty period, but if its acceleration right up to the cars redline that you want,with no hesitancy at the top end, then a remapping will produce the results.

The Gti is quite a lightweight vehicle, just over a ton in weight, but if you want a quick revving engine, that is silky smooth, and delivers power and acceleration by the bucket load, then consider having it remapped.

I fully understand if your hesitant or want to keep the car standard whilst in warranty, but if you do plan to keep your car some time, consider a remap for the future.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the response.

Pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear.
On my old V6 the engine loosened up nicely with a lightened flywheel but I was assuming that it must be a software rather than hardware thing, keeping the revs up a little during gear changes.

Great for daily smooth changes, makes it impossible to blip the throttle yourself on a down change when pushing hard.

I've actually got a quote from JBS for a stage map, downpipe and sport cat, non res cat back, forge induction, BOV and TCS switch.

Holding off the year or so for the warranty though and will do the 12 hour round trip summer 21 to get it done.

I considered doing it all bit by bit and mapping at the end, but their installed price comes in about the same as buying it all online and saves me skinned knuckles.

Cheers again man

·
Registered
247 Posts
My car is a very low mileage example, and even after my remapping last September, its only covered 259 miles, but the transformation after the remapping was instant.
JBS Auto Designs is 116 miles from Llandudno....
So you've done 143 more miles since then, in 5 months.

How come you say so much about the car, when you've driven it so little? It's not possible.

I did 114 miles in mine, today.
You average 1mile/day.

I haven't calculated your words/mile......

·
Banned
645 Posts
I agree, the mileage is very low, but since I have use of my Move Up, which gets regular use, the Gti remains mostly in the garage during the long winter months.

I turn the engine over, and when road conditions allow ie no road salt or commuter traffic, then I take the car on fairly short spirited journeys of around ten miles just to keep the car battery happy.

Come April, I already have two long journeys pencilled in, one to Cardiff and the other to County Durham.

All the cars mileage will be done in better weather, the kind of weather I can enjoy the car more.

I know running two cars when my annual mileage barely tops 5000 combined, is a bit extravagant but the Gti brings so much driving pleasure that I cannot bring myself to sell it.

I've taken all the heavy depreciation, so I have no intention handing over an almost as new car to some lucky new owner., the car is staying put for the long term, it just brings so much joy when it does venture out.

I really look forward to enjoying the Gti when the sun is shinning, and the roads are dry and there's long daylight hours.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The "running on" when you let go of the gas is a standard software thing that annoyed the **** out of me, apparently its an MPG thing.

As the learned welsh guy said once you get it remapped you should see that disappear. It won't be faster revving (impossible unless you use a lightened flywheel) but you will notice the more instant urge throughout the rev range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found I'm not the only one surprised by it, and it's got the name "flywheel effect".

Glad I wasn't imagining it anyway.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Found I'm not the only one surprised by it, and it's got the name "flywheel effect".

Glad I wasn't imagining it anyway.

I noticed it straight away after buying it and like you thought it was weird and something wrong, found the same report by Harris as it goes.

You end up driving around it but it does make using natural engine braking a bit of a pain, you just end up using the brakes more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you will find some of this effect will be down to the flywheel, have you noticed how long it takes the engine to stop turning when you switch it off? If you have't noticed try it when you next park up, leave it in gear with the clutch down, switch off and remove key, lift the clutch and the car jolts forward.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I think you will find some of this effect will be down to the flywheel, have you noticed how long it takes the engine to stop turning when you switch it off? If you have't noticed try it when you next park up, leave it in gear with the clutch down, switch off and remove key, lift the clutch and the car jolts forward.
Probably is and i'd be interested to know what they put in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my problems with the car that the trottlerespons on rev matching, that was fixed with the Carista app by changing it to "direct, controlled by threshold".

Can't fix the slow down on rpm without a new flyweel(balance on the engine is a big part of the flyweel)

·
Registered
515 Posts
The probable reason that VAG used a relatively heavy flywheel is that the 3 cylinder motor is inherently unbalanced. The heavy flywheel plays a part in damping out that lack of balance, rather like the good old 5 cylinder Audi's.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The probable reason that VAG used a relatively heavy flywheel is that the 3 cylinder motor is inherently unbalanced. The heavy flywheel plays a part in damping out that lack of balance, rather like the good old 5 cylinder Audi's.
Ooh, what a noise they had.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a very good point actually

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've actually cured this issue for £33.

I've taken the years subscription to Carista and applied to the beta program.

By turning the Throttle to linear rather than "graduated by time" the Throttle responds directly to the input I give it totally removing the "flywheel effect"

Really happy with my much more free revving car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts