Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Me too. £442 is a lot of money, and why do you see so many inlets up for sale a short time after they've been tried. Leave that part of the car stock and spend the money elsewhere.
Only my opinion obviously.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The usual snake oil!

"greatly increased airflow from your intake into the turbo" - yes, but, the turbo still gets to peak pressure as it is electronically controlled, irrespective of intake "flow" (a marginal difference anyway) or external air pressure.

If someone buys one, can we see the before and (immediately) after dyno plots please. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I reckon the turbo elbow will give the biggest gains for the smallest outlay! that and a panel filter if you want to do anything breathing wise.... As I don't like the look of the engine without the airbox and it will probably sound good but not when driven by a middle-aged man (Me) :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon the forge intake is better value for money and it looks loads better. Not a fan on how it uses the OEM tube attached to the plastic boost pipe.

·
Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
Its a lot of money to spend on something that has no evidence of any gains. I was waiting for this to come out, but I think I'll stick with my Forge intake.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If the foam filter is as good as the legendary K&N you’ll allow significant amounts of dirt in to your engine and reduce its life.
Been there done that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
"Its a lot of money to spend on something that has no evidence of any gains."

I agree, but sometimes people like the look of things or a change in the timbre of the intake noise (it can make you feel like the car has more grunt).

Generally, the intake airflow will be matched to suit the maximum airflow which depends on max boost and max revs - a bigger air intake won't necessarily make a lot of difference, and it becomes an increasingly marginal return. If it did make a difference, the designers could simply have used much bigger intakes and a smaller turbo, or less boost pressure, to get same torque, and save money overall.

Having said all that, if you mod the car to significantly increase boost pressure from a proper remap, then a larger intake system may be a good idea, as of course, it will be shifting more air.

Where I bet there is a gain to be made is with a bigger or more efficient intercooler - an expensive part that will be the lowest cost VW could get away with using!. A few degrees of extra cooling is like having a slight boost pressure increase... It's all about balancing cost against result....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Me too. £442 is a lot of money, and why do you see so many inlets up for sale a short time after they've been tried. Leave that part of the car stock and spend the money elsewhere.
Only my opinion obviously.
well since this is just released ,nobody has had it on and off the car, the only reason the forge show gains is because they dyno with hood open and fan on, so it only gets hot air when hood is closed.
i did mange to get a turbo inlet before corona really hit, my findings is in my build tread. it really opend up from mid to hugh revs. maybe alittle less down low, the oe inlet is alot smaller then the intake hole on the turbo aka a restiction in stock for(plus it takes some sound away)
i run the golf lower part off the airbox and a slot cut out in the front grill works for me. ps, mine made 145 with the golf airbox(bmc airfilter) with out the inlet and 260nm. racingline only promises 150bhp when intake and chip, most jbs chipped cars make the 143-147(forge intake and there chip) , i bet most good tuners makes roughly the same bhp on the chip. mine is chipped on 95 oktan at customchips in south germany(i live in denmark), my budy got the turbo inlet same time as me, he felt it to(an i was not totally sold on it before it was fitted) he then had his car rechipped to abt 95 oktan program it should make 135 on 95 (140 on 98 and 145 on 102) hus made 140 on the 95 oktane map.
should you buy the complet kit, maybe if you like the look if you have a stock car i would say no, is you car chipped or planning to get it chipped the i would recomend the turbo inlet it does work . i would say 80/90% comes from the inlet and and 10-20% is the airbox.
regards
Sören

·
Registered
177 Posts
"Its a lot of money to spend on something that has no evidence of any gains."

I agree, but sometimes people like the look of things or a change in the timbre of the intake noise (it can make you feel like the car has more grunt).

Generally, the intake airflow will be matched to suit the maximum airflow which depends on max boost and max revs - a bigger air intake won't necessarily make a lot of difference, and it becomes an increasingly marginal return. If it did make a difference, the designers could simply have used much bigger intakes and a smaller turbo, or less boost pressure, to get same torque, and save money overall.

Having said all that, if you mod the car to significantly increase boost pressure from a proper remap, then a larger intake system may be a good idea, as of course, it will be shifting more air.

Where I bet there is a gain to be made is with a bigger or more efficient intercooler - an expensive part that will be the lowest cost VW could get away with using!. A few degrees of extra cooling is like having a slight boost pressure increase... It's all about balancing cost against result....
well iam 90% with you, but since i did messure the stock turbo inlet and the intake hole on the turbo , the inlet is alot smaller the the turbo size plus there is some plastic to tage the sound away that will **** the airflow abit.
but stock airbox goes along way before needing to be changed. the problem with the water ic is that the expansien tank is shared with the normal water cooler plus the water coling for the turbo goes in the intake not ideal to say the least, my thoughts are a seperat expansien tank and moving the turbo cooling away from the intake.

that would be the best solution but making a bigger water cooler in the front for the ic would be easiere
regards
Sören

·
Registered
379 Posts
In the US, it is not uncommon for people to use what is basically a big ice bucket and draw air through it, to help cool the intercooler. So how about using an AC compressor or parts from 12V mini fridge, a 12v pump and small water reservoir to help cool a water-cooled intercooler? :)

I think that fitting bigger turbos may well produce more torque, but you may get more lag, and in the end the manifold-in-head design will become a limiting factor. It'll become like the old days when you had to use bigger valves, bigger ports, bigger manifolds an hotter cams to get more power.

You may also get to the point where you need to look at lowering the compression ratio if you significantly up the boost pressure....

Anything is possible, depending on how long you want the engine and drivetrain to last, and how "driveable" you like the car to be....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the racingline turbo inlet and panel filter and miltek cat back.. and it does make a difference on my arse dyno. Feels more responsive, turbo spoils up at lower revs quicker and revs out better, little louder on the intake and now that the engine soundaktuator is unplugged it sounds so much better. Can hear the real induction and exhaust.
I will at some point couple all this together with a Racingline map

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have the racingline turbo elbow and their panel filter to be fitted at some point.... Definitely think the elbow is the best value with regards to opening up the airflow and some of the comments above seem to tally up with some of the Dyno runs I've seen where they seem to say 5bhp just from the elbow I think personally the engine bay looks much better with the original airbox OEM+ for the win :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oem+ all the way for me mate. Had my superb diesel mapped by them and that’s running 235bhp and 540nm.. what a vehicle and beautiful map by Ben

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just fitted the turbo elbow and racing line panel filter very fiddly and I think the fitting instructions should mention unplugging the sensor that goes into the intake right at the back of the engine as I've seen 2 people who have broken them online.... No loss of refinement as far as I can tell and the car seems to be going very well afterwards :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts