Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had a new battery put in the car and since then the light in the radio display is staying on even when the radio is off !! Tonight when I turned the engine off and took key out if ignition it stayed on even though the radio was off still, please can any one help as I don't want it draining my new battery. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Are you saying there is no way to turn it of at all? Like even when the engine is running ?
I'm not sure what the cause is, but a disconnect and reconnect of the battery is always worth a try as it resets a bunch of things.

What prompted the battery change?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying there is no way to turn it of at all? Like even when the engine is running ?
I'm not sure what the cause is, but a disconnect and reconnect of the battery is always worth a try as it resets a bunch of things.

Hi, I had a flat battery, it was the original battery and car is a 15 plate and just needed changing. No no ssy st all to turn it off!! I can turn rsfio off so no sound but the light stsys on the display.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Try the battery disconnect/reconnect anyway. Then without putting the key into the ignition, check if any other electrical stuff works, like rear wiper & fan (which is should not) - I'm wondering if this is a problem with the electrical switch in the lock, which is topical on the forum for other reasons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try the battery disconnect/reconnect anyway. Then without putting the key into the ignition, check if any other electrical stuff works, like rear wiper & fan (which is should not) - I'm wondering if this is a problem with the electrical switch in the lock, which is topical on the forum for other reasons.
Hi, thanks for that advice, I will try,.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks for that advice, I will try,.
ok i have had the AA back out who have disconnected and reconnected the battery, it is still the same and also keeps flashing, he reset the Radio as well so it is not that, VW dealer wants £99 to just have a look at it as they dont know what the problem is, the AA man said i cant just disconnect it, i a really worried it is draining my new battery as the AA man said it would, doe any one else have any more advice please

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it is not a stop start, just a basis UP 2015 plate.
As per the other thread, is your car a "stop/start" model, and if so, was the new battery "coded" into the ECU?
As per the other thread, is your car a "stop/start" model, and if so, was the new battery "coded" into the ECU?
Hi, not is definitely not a stop start one. It's just a basic UP

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
OK, I for one, am out of ideas! But what about the ignition key idea - i.e. seeing if other things turn on when they shouldn't?

There are a fair few genuinely analytical people on the forum, so is there anyone else with a theory or a test to try? :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes seems that way, altho the AA run all diagnostics checks this morning and came back with nothing!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The AA don't have all the kit in their vans, compared with a good garage or a dealer....
They mostly fix tyres, batteries, ignition issues, lack of fuel, and locks and can maybe do a scan on ODB, as far as I can tell! Maybe they are better these days, I have no idea!

In the meantime, check your manual and locate the fuse that connects to the radio, and pull it out. I think on early cars there is a fuse unique to the radio. This will at least mean you won't drain the battery because the radio is on....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AA don't have all the kit in their vans, compared with a good garage or a dealer....
They mostly fix tyres, batteries, ignition issues, lack of fuel, and locks and can maybe do a scan on ODB, as far as I can tell! Maybe they are better these days, I have no idea!
Do you know if there is a fuse I can take out or some thing so it goes off completely?
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd start with the ignition switch
Thank you, I have booked it into VW now to investigate altho I was messing about with it today whilst driving and it was flashing so I just kept pressing CD eject button and it actually turned off and stayed off for quite a while, but when I went back to the car it was flashing again!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I had a new battery put in the car and since then the light in the radio display is staying on even when the radio is off !! Tonight when I turned the engine off and took key out if ignition it stayed on even though the radio was off still, please can any one help as I don't want it draining my new battery. Many thanks.
Hi just remove the fuse. For the radio it will then not turn on

·
Registered
VW Golf GTI MK5 2007. VW Westfalia Camper 1984. Audi TT Mk1.
10 Posts

Agree - disconnect the battery - leave for a few minutes and reconnect. This will reset the settings - inc your Radio.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts