Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
If its anything to go by the current radio thats in my 2011 Polo RCD 210, then it should be a doddle to use. The radio quality is good, it displays all the songs that is playing on the radio at that moment (but it looks as tho the Ups screen is smaller so dont know about that (but if you have the maps and more you should be good)). The level of customisation for the sound quality is amazing, I have 6 speakers in my Polo (hence why I added the sound pack to my Up!) and its actually awesome the level of quality the speakers have even up loud!!I have a small confession, I actually sometimes go and sit in my car just to listen to music because the sound is that good!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think i worded the first post wrongly.
What i'm looking to know is.
Can i add a sub-woofer to the system.

·
Registered
677 Posts
LOL oh righty, well again if it's like the Polos then I guess so, I'm part of the Polo forum and somel have subs so I would presume the Up would be the same

·
Registered
128 Posts
Money Saving Tip: When stationary at traffic lights try stamping hard on the floor in time to the beat.

It has exactly the same effect as a mega £££ sub woofer and costs nowt. Hitting your lower plastic door inner to the beat can achieve the same effect. Miss every other beat, and theoccasionalwhole sequence, to show that your sub woof system is the very latest, and expensive 5.1 surround sound, in car computer controlled beasty !!

Of course this will attract admiring and jealous looks.. especially if you are in your stylish new VW up !!

[ Doing this in aPeugeot 101 or compulsory Chav Citroen Saxo just releases rust clouds with each thump ]

If you are then being watched by a tasty female or 2 [or guy] you need to remember tocoollylean forward with precise timing and pretend to turn the Sub Woofer off before pulling away again !!!

Else .. You may just get confused and stamp on the accelerator. Stalling or kangeroo-ing off from the lights soon removes the "Cool" aurora that you created with your 'Kickin Sub Woof' a few moments before.

Next tip: Cheap Hair Styling Glue

NOT ! ;)

DaveW

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does the stereo allow for an ipod to be connected to it?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think you can use the headphone socketof any mp3 player with a jack to jack lead.Or I think you can connect a bluetooth mp3 playerto the maps and more unit, if the car has it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seriously, with the digital switch over a DAB unit would have been good as 5 Live on a night can be variable at best depending where you are in the country.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Dave you make me laugh!! i shall be trying out the "stamp" effect lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was thinking about giving it a go but.........

at my age my actions may be mistaken for a heart attack!!

or a stroke!

·
Registered
128 Posts
gary02tdi said:
Think i worded the first post wrongly.
What i'm looking to know is.
Can i add a sub-woofer to the system.

Hi Gary.. You can add a sub woofer system to any car, but you need a low pass amplifier, speaker and enclosure. The RCD 215 ( I have it out of the car and on my table as I speak ) does not have any output for a subwoofer.. it just has FRONT L/R and REAR L/R speaker outputs ( 8 connectors ) on its rear. To add a sub woofer you'll need one that taps into the LEFT / RIGHT speaker feeds ( either front or back ) and amplifies that bass section of the feed. These are pretty standard and can be found on ebay.

Now... Can you do it DIY ??? That depends on how competent you are.. and brave. Getting the RCD 215 out is NOT for the faint hearted !!! I have a base 'Take up' with no extras at all. I wanted to add my own flavours and the low cost at £7995 means I can choose some goodies
as I go. I've removed the RCD 215 as I only have the front speakers installed and connected and need to add in the wires for the rear speakers. Each VW up! order has it's own wiring harness added when the car is assembled.. and if you do not buy the 'Sound pack' at £100 then the harness only has FRONT speakers wired. A real bummer as I expected to find the wires to the rear speakers in place as standard.. but alas they are not. This is a cost saver for VW as they do not add extra wires to customer cars that do pay for them !! -- Makes retro fitting a sound pack, or upgrading really costly.

That said taking the car apart does not phase me the least. I'm adding in 6" rear bass speakers that also have mid and tweeter units attached. So will have 8 speakers as opposed to the VW sound packs 6
. It should sound pretty good then - Time will tell.

An easier way to connect your subwoofer then would be to intercept the front speaker L/R wires near the door hinges/side kick panels and just T into them there, and avoid taking out the RCD 215 unit itself.

See towards the end of the forum link below for more details on my rear speaker additions...

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/take-up-day2-extended-135-mile-drive_topic388_page2.html

I'll put up photos etc. after I've completed the work

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">
LarsDG88 said:
Are there any RCA exits on the RCD215 ?
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Hi Lars.. The RCD 215 is a pretty basic, yet really nice and useful piece of kit. I cannot detect a RCA capability on there. It has speaker front/rear connectors as described and a 2 wire CAN control system ( a universal sub unit control wire system used for electrical components to chat together ) a telephone connection and a few other bits and pieces. I doubt if any of the functions are documented anywhere that we can access online.. so guess a 'NO' to your question will have to do.
<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Here's a photo of the sticker on the actual RCD 215 and the unit itself that is on my table...
<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">I will have to get the radio code from my VW dealer as I've removed the unit
but others should be able to add in the rear wire connectors without unplugging the radio or doing this.

<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Hope this helps

<div style="text-align: center;margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stainless, how did you get the radio out? Need to fit a parrot kit into the Up! for my lady and cannot see how to get the radio out. Help please!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts