Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few days or so I've noticed that my radio reception has been poor. This is on the normal FM reception and the TMC on maps and more too which I believe uses the same aerial. It is so poor it is not picking up any TP traffic interruptions which it was last week.
Could this be down to the weather (high pressure) or does anyone think this is a more common fault?
I must stress although I've only driven 200 miles my perception is that reception was ok until v recently.Edited by: RedDwarf

·
Registered
90 Posts
Weather certainly effects radio wave propagation which can mean that you get interference from stations many miles away that are transmitting on the the same frequency as your local station. It can also happen at any time if conditions are right. There is a point on the Hogs Back near Guildford where my listening to Classic FM is rudely interrupted by some Frenchie pop music station.... A clue to whether tropospheric scatter is the villain here is that the problem is at its worst around dawn and dusk.

Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was very poor last night in the heat and again mid morning under heavy cloud today. I went to the dealer and as I parked the car I wasn't getting any reception at all. When I came back to the car it worked ok ish. Bizarre.
Pressing menu for 10 seconds shows my signal at 3 bars (about 50%) and the "Q" saying mono. RDS says anything from 1 to 4 and back again! However I did get TMC on maps and more today for a brief moment, enough to download traffic messages. Only wish it had done that yesterday before directing me on to the closed M25!
I've booked it into the dealer on Monday but suspect I will get the, "They all do that sir"!
Opportunity to have my dribbling back washer looked at too!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
How long is the Aerial on your car? I changed my original one for a shorter one and the reception was terrible so I changed it back again. Someone mentioned on the forum that the latest cars have the shorter polo aerial.

Just a thought. I can measure my original if you want to compare...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trip to the dealers. Radio reception was subnormal as the cables had been pulled too tight behind the radio. However no real improvement as it seems this has damaged the radio so new one on order. That said TMC is much better now on maps and more.
Bad part was the damage done to the panel surrounding the radio. Looks like they stuck screw drivers in it so new one on back order. Apparently has to be plastic welded. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
237 Posts
RedDwarf said:
Radio reception was subnormal as the cables had been pulled too tight behind the radio.
Do you know more details? Could it be a typical problem?

Edited by: uphu

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if it is a common fault. All the dealer told me was that there was tension on the wires behind and they eased it which allowed the aerial to seat better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, here's a different tack to radio probs.

Mine's been fine up to about 8 weeks ago when I suddenly lost all the A.M. stations (specifically Radio 5 live). Wavelengths were still there but just background hissing.

The up! went back into VW where they kept it a total of 4 days and eventually replaced the radio and some internal gubbins (aerial base?). Deep joy, back and all ok -- until I got well away from the garage to find that reception on Radio 1 was sometimes poor, Radio 2 (a supposedly strong signal) was at times non-existent to the point where it lost the "Radio 2" name on the radio screen. Reception on other FM stations ranged from very good to very poor.

Life being what it is, reception at the main dealer was excellent and have now taken video on the iphone to prove my point.

Now booked back in for another couple of days in 2 weeks time to a main dealer who is superb. We'll see what comes up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at the dealer. Radio replaced but even worse now. No RDS and very few signals being received. The mechanic is currently dismantling the headlining to access the aerial to get part numbers for replacement.
They are very helpful but this is frustrating in the extreme.
Oh and the new dash panel was faulty so have to come back again. At least I got my rear arch liners fitted free for the inconvenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts