Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have been wondering if anyone else has problems getting a clear radio reception?

I´m not sure if the antenna/radio has a defect or if it's just not that god? My old Golf with a JVC radio, did not have any problems receiving in the same area...

Is there any settings on the radio that could change the signal rate or something....
I'm missing a Danish or English owners manual, as I imported the car from Germany.
Anyone know a place to download the manuals?

Cheers!

Vw UP! White edition - 75bhp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem as you with the radio reception. Worked perfectly in the same area with the radio in my Skoda. Will check with my dealer and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's a pity that VW doesn't offer an optional DAB+ radio in the up!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone tried a internet radio app for smart phones? I saw one in the android marked.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
if you just mean listening to the radio thru a smart phone like the iphone, i listen to the radio through mine, but it only works well if youre in 3g or wireless signal, and dont think it would work through your phone into the car...

·
Registered
99 Posts
An app like shoutcast can stream live radio from the internet and probably play most of the DAB/DAB+ stations you can hear in England, where DAB is a big thing. The smart phone needs to get its power from, the car and you have to pay for a lot of data download.

If you really want to, I think it can be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem - brand new car. Very poor radio reception compared to other radios. Apart from that, the sound skips on some stations just like when a CD skips.
VW service doesn't see the problem and they think the reception strength is fine.

Don't know what I'll do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
tsirich said:
Same problem - brand new car. Very poor radio reception compared to other radios. Apart from that, the sound skips on some stations just like when a CD skips.
I have the same problem. I suspect that the poor radio reception is because of the AF (alternate frequency) function of the radio. The AF function checks for stronger frequencies of the same station and sometimes even tries to switch to the alternate frequency, which sounds like poor reception.

In my previous radio I could disable the AF function, but in my RCD215 the AF cannot be turned off. The manual says that in some versions of RDS215 the RDS and the AF appears in the settings menu and they can be turned off.

Does anyone know if I could somehow put the RDS and the AF options into the settings menu of my RDS215? Software upgrade? Some trick? Cheat code?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a polo as a loan car last week whilst Golf was in for cambelt. The radio had poor reception in that compared to Golf, wonder if it was same radio? If so must just be the actual quality of the lower spec radios

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I tend to listen to recorded radio, ie podcasts etc via Bluetooth, only really use the radio for the travel announcements

·
Registered
237 Posts
Supermegamonkee said:
My radio is perfect
Yes, the sound quaity is really good, but I have reception problems in those streets where I have no problem at all with a much cheaper radio in another car.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mine seems ok... Although i just listen to LBC!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
uphu said:
uphu said:
I suspect that the poor radio reception is because of the AF (alternate frequency) function of the radio.
According to the manufacturer's description the RCD215 radio has active antenna: http://www.carcommunications.technisat.com/en/produkte/produkt.datei.php?id=121&lang=en

There may be problems with the reception because the signal is too strong with the active antenna?
http://www.carcommunications.technisat.com/en/produkte/produkt.datei.php?id=121&lang=en

·
Registered
237 Posts
tsirich said:
VW service doesn't see the problem and they think the reception strength is fine.
I took the car to the service and they investigated it. They said the reception strength was fine, but changed the original aerial (like this one http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=228&u=15944244) to a longer one (like the long one on this image http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8293/7521798852_6a8e8a66f5_z.jpg). Now the reception is slightly better, but the reception is still poor, because it fades, fluctuates and crackles too often.

Has anyone found any solution?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts