Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to raise the front passenger seat to the same height as the drivers side. Would it be possible to insert riser blocks under the seat rails and use longer high tensile bolts?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At our age it's easy to get in the car but difficult to get out of the passenger side, so raising the seat would make it easier and I don't fancy the Halfords cushion seat.
As an aside I am having the ECU remapped from 50 straight to 84 next week, the guys at Avon Tuning seem to think it's a no brainier for motorway driving

·
Registered
430 Posts
Be mindful that there's always a trade of with tuning, whether that be increased mpg,void warranty, higher insurance premiums or extra strain on mechanical components but the benefits I agree can also be rewarding, I have experimented in the past but not with small petrol cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Greasepoppy said:
As an aside I am having the ECU remapped from 50 straight to 84 next week, the guys at Avon Tuning seem to think it's a no brainier for motorway driving

I would advise against that: apart from any warranty/mechanical reliability issues, the engine will feel 'weird'. I have had three cars remapped in the past, but will not be doing it again, because you can tell that there's something not quite right. Yes, you get the power, but it just feels as if someone's been messing with it - which they have, in effect. Just my 2p worth...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I spoke at length with the superchips folk.....they advised me NOT to tamper with the ecu as the most they could get out of it (safely) was about a 2% rise in power , any other attempts were at too big a compromise to either mpg, torque or indeed longevity of engine components., they were really very enthusiastic as they reckoned a lot of folk would be buying them as '1st' cars etc and therefore volume tuneing could be quite lucrative ....however not to be...advised strongly against and if want more power, buy another car! (mind you that was asking about tuning the 75BHP version)

just my £0.02 worth as I looked into it when the GT got canned

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phew, there seems a lot more against this than for it, guess I need to do a little more research before jumping in with both feet, thanks guys.

By the way, what about the initial reason for this post, raising the passenger seat to the same height as the Drivers by packing under the seat rails?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Can't help. Sorry. Don't have any issues with the seat height. Edited by: Beevee

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
remember that the seat mounting is an integral part of the saftey systems, extending bolts and using spacers 'could' compromise the strength of the mounting.    why not just lower the drivers seat to match.
Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We bought the UP as an economical city car because our main car is too expensive to run around town but fine on 10 hour motorway runs. The UP is perfect for our needs as an every day run around the only gripe is the low passenger seat, Land Rovers have bespoke riser rails for front seats, some rally cars have risers for the navigator seat so logically, why not one for an UP.
This thread was only asking if anyone else had any knowledge or ideas on the subject so those who are suggesting buying other cars and sharing their family histories are not being helpful, if you have no helpful practical advice then please do not join the thread

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Ok

Firstly I would consider my advice helpful re the tuning

Secondly, you may notice the forum is a friendly place for banter/advice/chat between friends who have a shared interest in a vehicle, rudeness has no place here. You may also notice my extensive contribution to the forum and my extensive experience with the car.

My views on the seat riser situation are, as stated MY view, and that is that safety will be compromised. The Up is NOT a rally car, has not got adjustable seat risers nor has the necessary bracing there to accept the same.
It is not a land rover either, it is, as you correctly say, an economical city car.

Modifying something that is clearly safety related is entirely at your own risk , however you had better inform your insurance company because things like that are of interest to them.

As before, this is just my opinion

Either way, you have a superb little car and I hope it meets your expectations

PD

·
Registered
386 Posts
Privatedoc said:
My views on the seat riser situation is that safety will be compromised.
I second that. Don't try to alter the existing system!!

But I don't think it's a big deal to fix it as almost all lefthand drive cars have an adjustable driverseat. Just ask your dealer to get you the original slider for the driverside of a lefthand car and your problem might be solved.

Grtz
Gun

Edited by: GunSpeed

·
Registered
430 Posts
I once owned a Ford Fusion, decent car with raised seating and available with lots of engine choice. Very boring but extremely practical, reliable and economical.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Ok

Secondly, you may notice the forum is a friendly place for banter/advice/chat between friends who have a shared interest in a vehicle, rudeness has no place here.

PD
I Whole heartedly agree
Well said.

Go well.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Why didn't you ask you dealer for rise and lower seats that come with the high up! (driver's side only)
I was tempted to ask my dealer to fit both sides at extra cost??

I have seen a few onhttp://www.ebay.deif you get one you could alway ask your dealer to fit them??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts