Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to find out if anyone has tested the two on the motorway and if there are any differences.

·
Registered
727 Posts
No difference.. they're both able to do the speed limit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
FWIW:

We tested both engines back to back with 40min drives each version.

The less powerful engine was fine around town and country lanes.

However, our test route deliberately included a 1.75 mile stretch of dual carriageway that is very steep.

The smaller engined car (Take up!) struggled up this. About 40% of the way up we had to down change to 4th then 3rd. We felt like we were impeding traffic and were not comfortable at all. It felt borderline dangerous tbh.

We then switched to a Black up! and the larger engine romped up the hill (very quickly) in 5th and with some urge to spare.

You don't buy these cars to drive at ten tenths but we like our cars to have a bit in reserve when needed.

We set out to buy the smaller engined version but were not convinced and settled for the larger engined variant.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Even though they were demonstrators, both engines would still have been tight and not properly run-in yet, so there may be more to come from them both.

Nick

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have read somewhere that the 60ps version has longer gearing,enabling lower revs than the more powerful engine when cruising on the motorway,but I don't know for sure if this is so.

·
Registered
553 Posts
polohtp said:
I have read somewhere that the 60ps version has longer gearing,enabling lower revs than the more powerful engine when cruising on the motorway,but I don't know for sure if this is so.
That would work against a lower powered car!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It is the same engine, but with different mapping in the ECU. So probably the same gear box. I find the 60ps engine more than enough. It romps up some quite steep hills that taxed my 1.3 liter Ford Ka, but you do have to drop down a gear or two.

Would that hill be near Exeter? I think there is a Telegraph Hill down there. I used to do that one in a 1 liter Micra, hi ho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to say it didn't make much sense to me either,but I'd thought I'd mention it to see if anybodies experiences backed it up!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Both are 999cc with different mapping, as Leif says. Both have the same peak torque at 95 NM. Under normal driving they should feel very similar. The 75 PS model will probably produce its extra power quite high up in the rev range.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I think I am glad that I brought up the topic, the dialog is very helpful for those still thinking about which model suits them. I am glad we went for the High Up. Interesting the comment about the engine being run in and it would be even more interesting to see what the outcome when the engine on the 60PS is run in.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'd imagine it won't be long before the aftermarket brigade offer an ecu flashing/chip-tuning product to up the power of the 60 engine

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I'd imagine it won't be long before the aftermarket brigade offer an ecu flashing/chip-tuning product to up the power of the 60 engine
Generally they have mechanisms to detect tampering with the ECU, and hence the warranty is void. I don't know how they do it on the Up, perhaps some form of seal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts