Up Owners Club banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
She is doing about 30 miles per day on highway. I'll take the decision after some time of usage of that car. It is after lift vehicle 2018.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Only you know whether you wife will care!

My wife, in younger days, would've thought that no more than 6secs to sixty (MPH) was a minimum requirement for a family hatchback, but things change :) I drive us all the time now, as she sees it as a chore....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2013 high UP 75bhp with just over 51,000mls. So well run in and I belt about in mine and enjoy its handling. You really feel it starting to make power at 3000rpm. I find mine surprisingly good on the motorway. It will cruise at the limit and above very comfortably and in my opinion is still relatively refined. I recently used mine for an urgent job at work. I had to cover a couple hundred miles as quickly as I could. And although yes I had to stir the gearbox a bit I was able to make very good progress. As it were :)

My daughter recently took mine to Cornwall and commented to me how impressed she was. I had a derivative of this engine in my previous Polo which I sold with over 165,000mls and genuinely still going strong. So its pretty tough with lovely heated seats. Yes a **** good car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think the pre-facelift 60/75bhp cars with shorter gear ratios seem a bit more responsive. The newer ones with all the eco rubbish and longer gear ratios can feel a bit sluggish.

Over taking in a non turbo up/Mii/citigo can be a game of russian roulette, especially if the other car speeds up suddenly.

We used to own a MK1 Toyota Aygo and that felt faster and more responsive than our Mii. It only had 67bhp but this was more than offset by the fact that it weighed a lot less.

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Touareg R Line 262
10 Posts
Generally they have mechanisms to detect tampering with the ECU, and hence the warranty is void. I don't know how they do it on the Up, perhaps some form of seal.
Any software change sets the td1 flag (Google it, plenty of info out there) which is detectable by VW when they hook your car up to their online diagnostic system. Even if you revert back to your original map the flag remains set.

You can't reset this flag with vcds, nor can a dealer technician with a dealer level tool.

If your car goes in for warranty work it will be scanned and the remap will be detected. Whether or not this gives VW grounds to reject any claim is debatable. A remap on a turbo'd car increases boost pressure, if your claim is for a turbo problem I suspect it will be rejected.

At the end of the day VW can afford legal action more than we probably can so if warranty is a concern don't remap.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lots of re-map conversations on the forum. Although I never drove the 75ps model, I did drive the 60ps car, fine around town, in fact you could fool yourself that its enough, but once you clear the city limits your in trouble. If you don't like the 60ps car or its not enough, don't buy it 'cos you can't find a 75ps car. I hunted down a 90ps TSi, first of the turbo cars, pre GTi, night & DAY difference :love:

·
Registered
GJ68SRY bought as new condition 20 miles on the clock, finished in white.
4 Posts
Well I think I am glad that I brought up the topic, the dialog is very helpful for those still thinking about which model suits them. I am glad we went for the High Up. Interesting the comment about the engine being run in and it would be even more interesting to see what the outcome when the engine on the 60PS is run in.

On the sub-topic of engine run-in see Do modern engines need running in? - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads UK there is still a need to drive sensibly (boys) for the first 1500m/2000km. After this you can start planting the right foot. Has anyone here with an older Up experienced engine flat spots? Often occurring at the 70mph speed limit which we, the law abiding Uppers would never dream of exceeding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the sub-topic of engine run-in see Do modern engines need running in? - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads UK there is still a need to drive sensibly (boys) for the first 1500m/2000km. After this you can start planting the right foot. Has anyone here with an older Up experienced engine flat spots? Often occurring at the 70mph speed limit which we, the law abiding Uppers would never dream of exceeding.
I guess in my case a better expression than run in is perhaps loosened. I have heard many stories from technicians who have had two similar cars into the workshop (not always VW). Where one car has more miles than the other. The car with higher miles was noticeably quicker and more free revving than the car with lower miles. However in some cases the faster higher mileage car sounded a little loose too :)

I havent noticed any flat spots in mine but you really feel it making power from 3000rpm. Personally I think the NA engine is a sweet little unit. Im sure the turbo unit is equally so.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts