Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
It says 59.2 average for mine which indicates drivers are inputting figures from the M&M. There's no way I can get near that figure and most of my journeys are mpg friendly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I wondered about that Rickenbacker. Are they doing a genuine tankful to tankful or taking it off the computer. I checked the Juke coputed figures with the readers input and they were pretty good. So many other factors come into this - driving style and conditions make a big difference. I shall do a proper check when my Up arrives and see how it comes out. Whatever....it's all academic I guess!

·
Registered
121 Posts
As with any such reports I'd take the HJ figures with a pinch of salt. They list the Mii and Citigo with wildly different MPGs, for example, something which shouldn't possibly be able to happen if there were any control/scrutiny of the methods used and figures being supplied.

There are too many factors that influence MPG, but one thing seems certain; the Up can get pretty much the lowest consumption of any petrol car out there.

Whether or not you or I actually achieve that is another matter.

For instance, I live in a very hilly area so almost as soon as I leave the house I have a 200m hill to climb. With a cold engine this is always going to hammer the MPG, especially if there are a lot of short journeys, which I do.

I'll be surprised if I see 50 MPG in time, but that doesn't mean that someone living in Norfolk with a 20 mile flat commute each day couldn't manage nearly 60 MPG.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I tried really hard yesterday and managed to achieve 53mpg over a 35 mile commute. It was pretty boring though and not much better than the 46 or so I normally get, so I was back to normal today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just because I'm boring and mathmatical , going from 46 to 53mpg is like 15-20% increase, I know its boring to drive but the flip side is like getting petrol for £1.19 instead of £1.40 or... If your fortunate enough to get over 400miles to the tank, getting to work and back twice for free... I can't wait to get out of my 318 (30mpg) mid/end march...!!!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I get 46mpg too but my commute is so short that 90% of the journey is with a cold engine. It's also within 1mpg of what I was getting in a Smart ForTwo with no back seat to haul about!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allybasher said:
I tried really hard yesterday and managed to achieve 53mpg over a 35 mile commute. It was pretty boring though and not much better than the 46 or so I normally get, so I was back to normal today.

My Mii Sport is averaging low 40s mpg. But, to be fair, it does tend to do lots of short journeys, which was the rationale for buying it. For complicated and boring reasons, I'll have the chance to take it on a few longer runs soon - will be interesting to see how much better it performs then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We've got the High up! BMT and live out in the sticks. Most of the roads are 50 ~ 60 mph so we're able to do a great deal of 5th gear motoring. That said, we get around 47 mpg for going into town and general running around but that increases to closer to 64 mpg on long runs - cruise control helps here. This is genuine tank-to-tank checking with a cross-check with the M&M...
Having had numerous diesels in the past we find the lack of low down torque very noticeable - "no umpth" as my wife says. Once I explained to her the different characteristics of a 4 cylinder turbocharged diesel and a 3 cylinder petrol, and the fact that maximum torque doesn't come in until 3,000 rpm, she began to realise in fact that for town driving, the up! is basically a 4 speed plus "overdrive". The car is not really happy in 5th gear below the "legal limit" of 30 mph. For good consumption we have to be in the highest gear possible...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts