Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an e-Up! as a possible next car.

Can anyone tell me what the real-world range is for these cars?

Thanks.

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
48 Posts
I’ve had mine since September and was getting about 110-120 mile on an 80% charge in autumn which has dropped to 85-95 miles at 80% on winter tyres and using the heating in the current cold spell. I preheat before leaving home but not before leaving work. My commute includes 14 miles of national speed limit single carriageway and 3 miles town driving. Preheating from the battery seems to take about 4 miles off the range.
When I collected the car I had a 220 mile trip from fife to Caithness and had to charge twice although I charged unnecessary about 20 miles into the journey whilst I had some lunch but that just shortened the 1st rapid charge time.
Mine is the newer 32kwh battery model.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had mine since September and was getting about 110-120 mile on an 80% charge in autumn which has dropped to 85-95 miles at 80% on winter tyres and using the heating in the current cold spell. I preheat before leaving home but not before leaving work. My commute includes 14 miles of national speed limit single carriageway and 3 miles town driving. Preheating from the battery seems to take about 4 miles off the range.
When I collected the car I had a 220 mile trip from fife to Caithness and had to charge twice although I charged unnecessary about 20 miles into the journey whilst I had some lunch but that just shortened the 1st rapid charge time.
Okay thanks. The range sounds like it's better than I'd thought. Useable, for me anyway — most of my trips are in the ~10 mile range but I have a brother living 45 miles away so I would like to be able to visit him on a single charge. (I'm slightly hoping that prices of used e-Up!s will come down once more electric cars are in circulation, though maybe I'm being optimistic…)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm looking at an e-Up! as a possible next car.

Can anyone tell me what the real-world range is for these cars?

Thanks.
I have had mine (18.7 Kw battery) since 06/2018 and have kept notes of consumption on calendars. so - after nearly 3 years the average winter/summer is 5.1 which = 95miles. I have seen it be as little as 80 something in winter, but when its over 10 to 15 degrees I get avg 5.5 (102 miles) and several times 6 or more (115 miles). That is with not being slow and using all types of road and up hills etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for that. Useful information. Range is better than I'd thought.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That range is unusable, IMHO for many, as things stand, unless this is a second car, or you only go to the shops, in which case, it's fine...

·
Registered
34 Posts
That range is unusable, IMHO for many, as things stand, unless this is a second car, or you only go to the shops, in which case, it's fine...
I’ve got the old version with the 18kwh battery. I do my 50 mile daily commute through summer and winter no problem, mainly on an 80% charge. I’ve found it pretty useable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
48 Posts
I find it useable for my 37 mile daily commute, even on the day I accidentally took some keys home and had to drop them back to work. I’ve only gone beyond the max range once to attended an appointment in Inverness (~90 miles each way) and was able to get a charge whilst there so didn’t waste any time charging. Having ccs makes longer trips viable but I agree that if you had to drive beyond the maximum range on a regular basis it would become tiresome and maybe something longer range is more appropriate. I actually fine the size of the boot rather than the means of propulsion is what keeps the e-up! as a second car and the Golf as a main car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do a very low mileage these days being retired, so an electric car with a 100 mile range could be ok for me. However my UP GTI has a 300 mile range with ease and my previous car a Smart diesel had a 500 mile range, so very rare trips to the filling station.

If i did purchase an electric car it would be the Renault Zoe or the Mini E, but the price would have to come down a lot. I do like the fact that electric cars are all automatic and get free road tax.

I do drive to Blackpool a few times each year a 100 mile round trip so an electric car would only just make it. Yes i know people say you can charge up at a public charge point, but no one ever says what happens if someone is using the charger when you get there. In fact there could be one using the charger and another waiting to use it, so you could be there for over 2 hours. This will only get worse as more people buy electric cars and there are more on the road.

I do use the train quite a lot for longer trips at the moment, but i think if i purchased an electric car i would be using the train lot more. I am not saying i would never buy an electric car, but i would have to think long and hard about it and the deal would have to be fantastic, a large discount and a free wall box at the very least.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Of late with lockdown, 100 mile range would also be plenty for me, as we're retired too.
But when things get back to 'normal' I shall be visiting friends a lot more and being 'out and about', not to mention taking the car to southern Iberia. The problem is that living far down in the SW, getting to see family and friends is 300 miles each way. We hate stopping on long, boring journeys, especially in England, as services are tedious, often crowded and always bad value.

In principle, I'd really like an electric car, and given 300 miles is about my own personal max range these days (gone are the 750 miles in day trips at my age), I'd like a car that can do that, and also be affordable in terms of CapEx. In 5 years time, my guess is most cars will be electric cars imported from China, so maybe they'll become affordable!

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
48 Posts
It’s very much still at an early adopter stage and if the government is serious about getting people out of internal combustion engined cars then it needs to invest in charging infrastructure and public transport, but a lot of people look at charge points like fuel stations and that model isn’t necessarily applicable. Even if we replaced the golf with an ID3 tomorrow home charging would cover 90% of our needs, and destination charging would cover even more. No going to the petrol station once a fortnight for commuting fuel, just 15 seconds to plug in a cable each night when I get home and 15 seconds to unplug it in the morning. On those rare occasions when we’d travel from Caithness to Cornwall to visit family we’d only have to stop 4 times to charge each way (7 with the e-up). This is a 13 hour journey so I can safely say mine and dogs bladders would force more stops than this. Despite living in deepest darkest Cornwall my parents have electricity so I could charge overnight there (destination charging) and not have to use the public charging infrastructure until 200miles into the return journey.

It is a pain having to wait for a charger but as cars start being able to rapid charge at >100kw and more of these chargers roll out that will be somewhat mitigated. Also if charge point operators follow Tesla’s idea of billing you for time spent in a charging bay once fully charged people won’t just leave their car there all day.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yes, indeed, I can see it's all "jam tomorrow" for many of us, while fine for others - I'm usually an early adopter of tech (having spent a lifetime conceiving and making it), but battery cars still need to get a bit past Windows 3.0, so to speak!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts