Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with the Mrs to test drive the new VW Up! today,
was the top spec Black Edition with the new 1.0 3CYL 75ps engine.

Amazing use of space, felt very open and airy inside, and the boot was
massively deep compared to anything else of this size. The handling on
the 16" alloys was really good, and hardly any road/wind noise which is
pretty rare for a small car on big wheels.

As much as she wanted the magazines and awards to be speaking the truth
about the Up's amazing interior quality, they lied. The materials used
are in no way anywhere near as good as the current Polo and Golf, lots
of hard plastics which felt very un-Volkswagen. (And this is the highest
model in the range)

The engine, well quite disappointing if I'm honest. 75ps should be fine
in a car this small and light, and I suppose with the car only having
100ish miles on the clock it will wear in a bit, but it felt really
under powered, more so even than the 60ps 1.2 3CYL from the polo. Also
you can never get away from the diesel like sound of a 3CYL petrol engine, and it's never fun when someone gets in your new car and says "oh, I thought you were getting the petrol version?".

The ride and handling, were excellent. None of the usual skipping about
on rough surfaces than cars of this size always exhibit. Very smooth and
grown up, and cornered like a go kart. If they do make the GT and or
GTi version I would imagine it could be great fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to disagree, as an Aygo owner I was impressed with the interior quality of the up. My other half currently has a Fiat 500 and although the up can't compete with the 500's funky dash layout and exterior looks, its in a different league quality wise. She has ordered a high up to replace the Fiat as she found it a much nicer car to drive, more comfortable andthe interior anicer place tobe.That and the dealer has been far more professional than our previous encounters with various Fiat dealers.

Of course the materials are not going to be the same as used ina Polo or Golf but for a car in the sector they are certainly above average.

I do however agree that the engine isn't as good as it should be, infact it makes my Aygo feel like somekind of hot hatch, this doesnt bother my MRS and as its her car who am I to argue?Maybe it will start to feel a little more eager after a few thousand miles.

Personally I found the enginefar smoother and less 3 cylinder like than the Aygo or VW's terrible 3 cylinder diesel engine.

The only downside really is the price, however a similar specced 500 is more expensive with no service plan, and our local VW dealer put together a great deal for us, (after a week of haggling).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mark said:
I have to disagree, as an Aygo owner I was impressed with the interior quality of the up. My other half currently has a Fiat 500 and although the up can't compete with the 500's funky dash layout and exterior looks, its in a different league quality wise. She has ordered a high up to replace the Fiat as she found it a much nicer car to drive, more comfortable andthe interior anicer place tobe.That and the dealer has been far more professional than our previous encounters with various Fiat dealers.

Of course the materials are not going to be the same as used ina Polo or Golf but for a car in the sector they are certainly above average.

I do however agree that the engine isn't as good as it should be, infact it makes my Aygo feel like somekind of hot hatch, this doesnt bother my MRS and as its her car who am I to argue?Maybe it will start to feel a little more eager after a few thousand miles.

Personally I found the enginefar smoother and less 3 cylinder like than the Aygo or VW's terrible 3 cylinder diesel engine.

The only downside really is the price, however a similar specced 500 is more expensive with no service plan, and our local VW dealer put together a great deal for us, (after a week of haggling).
I know what you mean about the interior vs rivals, I guess I expected VW to take a step towards the quality feel of the old Lupo rather than the outgoing Fox. I suppose it's kinda moot but if you can live with the bigger dimensions the Polo Match makes the Up! Black/White look ridiculously over priced, and even though on paper the 1.2 60ps in the polo is worse than the new 1.0 believe me it's a better drive. It's a real shame, we really wanted to like it but the cheap feel & gutless engine has really taken it off our list.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my mrs hated it when she first saw it in the flesh, albeit a bottom spec take up, however as soon as she drove it she realised how bad the ride quality in the 500 is and how nasty the bulk of the interior materials are.We did look at a Polo match also, however its a good £1500 more than the deal we got on a high up, that and it doesnt have the £20 tax and has what should be worse fuel consumption and slightly higher insurance, the up makes sense for her. Her commute is a 40 mile a day drive at no more than 50mph so performance (or lack of) isnt an issue.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think the Up!, Polo and Golf all their own place..
I'm in a family of 3 & we currently have 2 Mk5 Golfs. Our reason for selling one of the Golfs for an Up is simply for the "work run".The Up!will be cheap to run, and a bit of fun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree. We have a Skoda Octavia as a family car and wanted something that was good quality and cheap to run for the commute to work. The up fits the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Put the up! into context of what its likely to be used for and it excels. Put it in the context of comparing it to a car such as a Polo/Golf and no brainer, it doesn't compare. That is why it is the entry point into VW ownership. But arguably it has more character and brings back memories of the original polo or golf models. It is without doubt a brilliant return to form for VW and once that is guaranteed success. And the engine will indeed open up after around 1000 miles. Break it in gently and it will be as sweet as.

·
Registered
329 Posts
£20 tax, group 1/2 insurance, good mpg, good looks and well built. Think you would struggle to match that in another car in this class.

·
Registered
677 Posts
AAddict said:
Went with the Mrs to test drive the new VW Up! today,
was the top spec Black Edition with the new 1.0 3CYL 75ps engine.

Amazing use of space, felt very open and airy inside, and the boot was
massively deep compared to anything else of this size. The handling on
the 16" alloys was really good, and hardly any road/wind noise which is
pretty rare for a small car on big wheels.

As much as she wanted the magazines and awards to be speaking the truth
about the Up's amazing interior quality, they lied. The materials used
are in no way anywhere near as good as the current Polo and Golf, lots
of hard plastics which felt very un-Volkswagen. (And this is the highest
model in the range)

The engine, well quite disappointing if I'm honest. 75ps should be fine
in a car this small and light, and I suppose with the car only having
100ish miles on the clock it will wear in a bit, but it felt really
under powered, more so even than the 60ps 1.2 3CYL from the polo. Also
you can never get away from the diesel like sound of a 3CYL petrol engine, and it's never fun when someone gets in your new car and says "oh, I thought you were getting the petrol version?".

The ride and handling, were excellent. None of the usual skipping about
on rough surfaces than cars of this size always exhibit. Very smooth and
grown up, and cornered like a go kart. If they do make the GT and or
GTi version I would imagine it could be great fun.

Aww, you've got me all worried now

I currently own a 2011 VW Polo and have to admit the quality of the interior is top notch, what lets it down (on my model SE" is the equipment and engine. The standard 1.2 60 is just awful to drive. I would have thought the High Up 1.0 75 engine would have a little more oomph in it! I know the quality of the interior will be slightly less that of the Polo, but I wont mind as long as it looks nice. My car before that was a 2004 Smart Fortwo and as much as the interior was "funky" the materials used were all cheap and nasty plastics, but it was a fun place to be. I will be more than happy if I get the quality somewhere near the middle of my Smart and my Polo. I really need to go and see an Up in real life soon incase I want to make any changes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
<w:EnableKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
<m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
<m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
<m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemi="true" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267">
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Book Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Qat="true" Name="TOC ing"/>
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

<!-->

I am disappointed to read about VW skimping on the interior quality
of the UP. Over the years I have owned
several Lupo's, a wonderful and underrated car in my opinion, as well as over
twenty air cooled VW's and quality was always their strong point. VW have a lot of competition so they should
be careful about complacency in this area.
VW, I know you are reading this so please take note.I have over 30 years of being an enthusiastic
VW owner and yet my current daily driver is a Volvo! I will be looking at an UP but I am already a
little wary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really interesting debate on quality.
I can see the various points. We had a test drive yesterday, and while we were waiting in the showroom we got in a black up 3dr. My heart skipped a beat with the exposed seat runners, and the "fluffey" head lining. Then we chatted to the sales man a bit and got to drive a Tornado red start Up,
wow we were blown away, it has a big car quality, the engine was whispering and smooth. The throttle response and gear shift. But for us the steering was a revelation.
We have done about 200k in small cars, micra's corsa, Daihatsu's and since the advent of EPS (electric power steering) mourned the fact that you feel nervous some time as to where the darn car is going: but we found that you could place the car with ease and the crisp turn into bends gave great feel and confidence.

My wife loves cars too, and has had 106 rallye's, Forester's, Suzuki Swift and an Impreza. She liked it so much she ordered a Black Up with a few add on's, love the fact that we could buy a service plan, having been £poor when the service comes round .

I do see the quality concerns, but we are the trail blazers, the brand will be watching, and for the face lift/ refreshen in 18 months and some of the concerns voiced should one hope's be addressed.
The Dash has a nice look and feel's well thought out not something you get in entry(no offence meant or implied)level cars.

What VW have done will change the scenery for manufacturers across the world, as small cars as one time Leyland boss, Lord Stokes, said "Small Cars equal small profits or in the orginal mini a loss on every car!"
VW flush with funds, from success in other model's sought to shatter this widely held belief. Ford also felt the same, hence sharing the Fiat 500 platform for its FORD
Ka but with heavily tweaked suspension enhancements.

Any way we cant wait to get our Up, likely we are told May.

Please can I also say how much I like the club and enjoy reading all the posts thanks to every one
on mainland europe for the brochure / leisure/decals posts.

And If I have gone on too much, I apologise.

The motoring landscape will never be the same again, the beetle, the golf and now the Up.

enjoy lessismore motoring!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quality means a lot to me and I have dismissed a lot of cars before because of their lack of it. We need to remember this car starts at 8k. While you do not get soft touch plastics they are certainly not offensive and feel solid. Can anyone think of a car in this class that is better built? I can't.

·
Registered
655 Posts
A thoroughly interesting debate that for me will be resolved once most owners A)See the car in the flesh and B)Drive the darn thing! Having worked for MINI for six years and been a motoring journalist, some may say its a strange move I deserted the premium BMW based baby to opt instead for a VW. Rest assured that I was incredibly surprised. Sure it has areas where cost cutting is apparent, but in large the car is a total market revelation and one that will change the landscape for successive small city cars. I've taken the gamble with the sports pack and frankly with this talk of 'harsh ride', has anyone driven a Mk1 MINI on run flats!!? That defines harsh and if a VW can be worse I will eat my hat!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Further to the debate on quality,ride & power(or lack of it.)I have now driven the move up 60 ps & the white up 75ps.To me the ride was smoother in the 60 ps on the 14"rims as to the 75 on 16".Handling & steering was excellent on both cars.The quality of both cars i found very good for the money.When you consider the price of a Lupo TDI Sport in 2001was the same as the asking price of the High up today there must have been some cost cutting .
The engine however does struggle at the sight of a hill unless you can really keep the revs on,the 75 was a bit better.Both these cars were very low mileage so not be pushed to hard.Both engines had a strange sound under load rather like frying eggs i dont know if anyone else has noticed anything similar.Having said all of this we love it & take delivery of a red high up in2/3 weeks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I test drove a Red move up last week and ordered one there and then. I currently own an immaculate 20k miler 2008 Citroen C2 'Code' and although it is a fabulous pocket rocket (125bhp 16valve 1.6) it shakes teeth fillings out at anything above 30mph... It has 16" wheels and elastic band run flats. Very sporty, Very good round corners etc. but Very noisy and an awful commute car !!!

Previously I've owned a new '99 1 litre VW polo and really loved it. It did 85mph all day on motorways and was wonderful all round. Acceleration wise the C2 is obviously superior, but enjoyment wise the baby Polo beats it hands down !!

The wife bought a new Honda Jazz last year and it's averaging 55+ mpg... A truly spacious and marvelous car to drive. We often do our long journeys, 4 or even 5 people in that. I was tempted to get another for me, but it's getting towards the end of its production run and I want something current & fresh.

so.. I'm really looking forward to enjoying my little 'Up' ;)

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
SPOT THE DIFFERENCE COMPETITION !!

Here's my lovely metallic grey, 2008 C2 'Code' ...

Here's a Black C2... Notice just how similar these are to the VW Up ;) !!!

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting discussions here, I suppose it depends entirely on your expectations. In our case the Up! is purely a second car which will only do 3000 miles per year tops. The main thing we want is low cost for a fun reliable car. We have a BMW for the main car and our previous second car was a basic Fox.

The difference in quality between the Fox and the Up! is amazing. The Fox was ok, similar to things like the Aygo, Renault Twingo and Fiat 500 that we considered before it, but the Up! is in a different league completely. OK so the plastics are hard and the equipment in Take Up! form pretty non-existent but what do you expect for £7995? It is a brilliant, well engineered little car.

Engine wise, I've not driven an Aygo or Polo, but it's like a Ferrari compared to the Fox.

Most of you guys seem to have an Up! Black or similar specced up to the nines, in that case it is up to £11k and up against some serious opposition but at the cheap end, it really is in a class of its own. Consider what we got for our £7995....

The best car in the class - by miles, an object of envy to other people that have seen it
Group 1 insurance
70ish mpg
Enough power to keep up with the traffic (and overtake some of it)
3 years servicing for £99
Excellent residuals
A smooth, quiet comfortable ride
Enough room for 4 adults

I cold go on but you get the picture.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Amanda.. That's spot on ! We have a new Honda Jazz for long distances with 5 adults. It does 55mpg average and is fabulous on motorways. I drive a little 2008 C2, albeit the top of the range 1.6, 16valve, 125bhp beasty model. But it is very uncomfortable at speeds above 30mph, really noisy and returns just 40mpg even driven really... really gently.

Back in 1999 ('T'reg) I bought a brand new 1 litre Polo. Had FAR more fun driving that around than my later Beemer 3 series, Land Rover Freelander, a new Mini, my Stainless Kitcar (see below) and this C2. I'm really looking forward to the sheer joy of driving my little 'Up' as the test drive was just perfect. AND with that economy, low tax etc. there is also an inner joy too !! ;) [ Getting close to religious here, which I'm not, so I'll back off now ;) ]

I too have opted for the entry level 'Up' -- I already have a useful little 'Tom Tom' satnav to use and an excel spreadsheet to calculate mpg. I don't need all the extras, and can add some later on if I do :)

If I need to go long distance in my job then I'll take the Jazz... after instructing my wife Anthea to be very careful with my little 'Up' of course !!

The residual value of a well cared for VW is also really good and I got the 3 years servicing thrown it too. The quality of build is really great at this entry level cost. All in all a great deal.

My 2 litre Stainless SteelKitcar I built a few years back..

Best wishes

Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts