Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if you have already spotted this

set off to work today at 6am, pretty dull but not enough for lights (DRL on of course) and I thought the bulb had blown that illuminates the speedo/rev/fuel guage...so switched on the lights and hey presto, it came back on.

so why...well the instruments have a light sensor that dims the actual speedo etc markings depending on ambient light. most other cars have a simple rheostat but the UP! does it automatically...confirmed by shining a light at the speedo and pow! full marking brightness

a small point but impressed my geeky nature.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The best thing is when you drive through a tunnel. The instrument panel lights up and after a few moments the white part dims leaving you with only the lovely red needles. I think it's meant to be a gentle reminder to switch the lights on!Edited by: yapmaul

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tunnel....Norfolk??? thought it was pancake flat!

it is a great feature!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I thought I was imagining the lights dimming etc - I've been driving around for weeks thinking there was something wrong with my eyes!

Maybe I should have paid more attention the the owners manual - who reads these things though?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have noticed this with mine but surely it would be just as easy for that sensor to switch the headlights on for you instead?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mini_joe said:
I have noticed this with mine but surely it would be just as easy for that sensor to switch the headlights on for you instead?
That's a good point but I'm glad it doesn't because of what happened in my golf! I'll be glad to get rid of auto lights and auto windscreen wipers!!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Great feature also its a we reminder to switch your lights on!
Unlike many other cars..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Itzben said:
Mini_joe said:
That's a good point but I'm glad it doesn't because of what happened in my golf! I'll be glad to get rid of auto lights and auto windscreen wipers!!
What happened in your golf?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I was driving down the street went under some trees and the lights flashed on, as I approached a side street where a car was waiting they went off and the car thought i'd flashed to let him out and pulled out infront of me, I realized what my lights had done so couldnt really beep at him so since then I havn't had my auto lights on. It all happend quite fast

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I wondered if it was that. We have a golf with this as our family car.
I have always been a bit nervous about that happening, so I tend to switch them on manually when it comes to dusk.
Defeats the object really, but as you say, it can be dangerous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts