Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here - and stillawaitingdelivery but I notice a fair amount of comment regarding water and gravel noise from the rear wheel arches. Is there a solution to this? Years ago, didn't people spray upunderneaththe wheel arches with a rubber/bitumen compound to protect and deaden? Has this been tried by anyone?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The noise is aparant on occasions but you may find as I do it's not that bad and possibly not worth the extra work. In any case the soundproofing is not the best in other departments which helps (if that makes sense?)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it does. It's all relative I guess. I found, on line, someone who stripped the car (sides, floor and roof!) to fit soundproofing material. Strikes me that's over the top for a wee city car!I shall look forward to getting my Up! and seeing for myself. Thanks for the reply, Rickenbacker. (they made a good bass guitar in their time!!)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The car has a thick coating of sealant as standard - mainly for rust protection I guess - so any additional sound deadening tends to be done on the inside (where there is nvery little fitted to the up!.

I have a 5 door and the different metalwork involved seems to make them much quieter than the 3 doors I've driven. Is yours a 3 or 5 door?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Upmeister said:
The car has a thick coating of sealant as standard - mainly for rust protection I guess - so any additional sound deadening tends to be done on the inside (where there is nvery little fitted to the up!.

I have a 5 door and the different metalwork involved seems to make them much quieter than the 3 doors I've driven. Is yours a 3 or 5 door?

Mine is a 5 door and has no visible soundproofing on the inside of the arches. Noisy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have the High up! BMT 5-door and from the start we've had good quality (not rubber) mats put into the front and back (from a previous car that fit alright) and they make a big difference on the "quietness" in the car. Analogy? In a house with and without carpets? Big difference! Worth considering.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I noticed the lack of sound proofing and wheel arch liners as soon as I started driving the car (in the wet). However, as seems to be the case with other sounds the car produces, these seem less pronounced now at 10k miles. Perhaps a coating of grime in the rear wheel arches acts like sound proofing - or I'm just gettingaccustomedto the car and its 'peculiarities'.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine will be the 3 door. They have obviously restructured the rear arches to fit the extra door in. Interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have bought a couple of black exercise mats at a few of quid each in Lidl. They are used as a boot liner and doubled up for wheel arch insulation (with double sided tape). Very effective and very cheap.
An alternative would be offcuts of carpet thick underlay (not the cheap foam type), again stuck on with double sided tape and covered with a mat. This could also possibly be slid under the carpets, although I haven't done this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts