Up Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m been so firstly, hello ?

I’ve been reading some of the old posts but wondered if anyone has yet managed to find a rear bike carrier for the Up?

I have bought a universal but am nervous to use it with the back being all glass. I have rung round all the tow bar places and am told there is no longer a legal tow bar for the up for a bike carrier as the original manufacturer closed down.

I don’t have roof bar slots and have a 3 door so am really struggling

Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
You should be able to fit roof bars to all 3 and 5 door up/Mii and citigo models. The front bars locate on a small hole in the top centre of the door opening and the rear bars locate between two small marks behind the window glass or top centre of the rear door opening.

If you go on the Thule website it will tell you what part numbers you need. I cannot recommend the Thule roof bars and cycle carriers enough. There are very well made, fit brilliantly and last for decades. Well worth searching on eBay for used items to save new.

I have used tailgate mounted bike racks on previous cars and have found them a poor work around. You either have to buy and fit a light and number plate bar or remove all the bike wheels and you still obscure some of your rear light clusters.

I have fitted Thule bars and bike rack to my Seat Mii and they work brilliantly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thule aero roof bars and bike rack on our 5 door, fitting instructions cover 3 door as well.

Attachments

Reactions: Mr Bean

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
I don't think you'll find a boot-mounted bike rack for an Up as the tailgate is not load bearing due to the glass. Roof mounted on roof bars is the safeist way

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a bike rack that fits on the glass hatchback with no problems. It does not obscure the number plate as it is above it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a bike rack that fits on the glass hatchback with no problems. It does not obscure the number plate as it is above it.
Please tell which brand/version you've got.
Occasionally I need to transport a bike, and so far I remove the front wheel so it fits inside the car. A bike rack would be much better.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you dig on eBay you will find tow bars for the Up! which has always amused me rather as the car isn’t rated for towing, however in some parts of Europe local rules seem to mean it’s allowed.
Anyway a towbar for mounting a bike rack is fine, probably the most secure way to carry them but also the most expensive solution to that problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thule aero roof bars and bike rack on our 5 door, fitting instructions cover 3 door as well.
They look great, especially the all black. I’m trying to decide between Thule wing bars and Yakima Whispbars at the moment.
Could you please post some more pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not just bike racks, but also cheapo "top boxes"....

2 summers ago, on the A30, I had two, yes two, fly off in front of me at 70mph, in the space of 20 miles!
Belongings scattered everywhere and the box, in one case hit by a van that couldn't get out of the way. I had to brake and do a little swerve.

How hard can it be? Don't people get travelling light, or at least securing stuff properly?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I always travel light, even when i go on holiday i manage with just a back pack. I can get everything in i need for 3 or 4 days away. Its true i would not win a fashion show but those days are long gone.

I only use my back pack for holidays, but i see people everyday just going to the shops or the park with a back pack on, bent over from the weight of their belongings in the pack. They must think "Just in Case" must take everything including the kitchen sink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts