Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else getting rear brakes sticking on. Noticed a few times after being parked overnight - and usually when it has been raining. One of the rear brakes had stuck but released with a quick reverse and then forward movement. Garage had a look when car in for 10,000 service two weeks back. But this morning they had really locked on and took a good few moves before freeing themselves. Had the same problem with our Citroen AXs a few years back - so bad that one time the lining stripped from the shoe. Dealer said probably needs stripped and cleaned. And NO we do not yank the handbrake on as if we were trying to hold a ten ton truck on a hill. And blast dealer is closed for the holiday Monday.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Yup, mine did same, drums were cleaned out at service and all fixed now, due to a build up of brake dust/gunge etc

at its worst, had to drive forward before I could reverse to free them up!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When I had proper automatics I never used the handbreak overnight. I used to leave it in park you can do the same with a manual car by leaving it in gear. Can't do it with the Up! because of the loud warning sound when you don't engage the handbreak. Luckily so far I have had no problems with the handbreak sticking.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My up!'s handbrake hasn't stuck so far, but many moons ago my Nova's would when left on for a couple of weeks. The first time, the mechanic I called out removed the wheel trims, lay on his back and gave the rear wheels a couple of good kicks each, which did the job perfectly. A useful trick for me to learn, saving a lot of waiting around and expense when it happened again.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
After all the heavy rain we've over the past few day we are getting this.I just leave car in gear and two clicks on the hanedbrake.

Anybody else front brakes squeaking too?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary02tdi we have tried that and it still stick. Car was checked at 10,000 service and they said looked OK but would need to pay if I wanted brakes stripped and cleaned. Two weeks later we had braked cleaned. AND guess what - they still stuck. Wife was away with the car last week on a course in Windermere. Car in gear, handbrake on two notches. Brakes stuck. Only released when she bounced the rear end of the car. Garage now recommend new brake linings, but are prepared to fit them free of charge as we paid for them to be cleaned two week ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all,

I've had this problem since i bought the car. Of course i didn't notice it at the time because the garage hadn't left it standing for a period of time. My garage suggested a strip and clean of the rear drums, i see one other person has said this didn't fix the problem, has anyone else had this fixed by this or other means?

Interestingly i once left the handbrake off for a few days and left it in gear, the sticking was much less severe but there was still some reluctance to move a slight noise on pulling off and then it just released. I don't understand how the brakes could be sticking still without the hand brake on though?

In this colder weather and only after a couple of nights its really set in and can take a couple of minutes on the accelerator and jumping about to get it to move. I'd like this sorted out now.

On a related note, anyone had their front disks either cleaned or replaced and any idea how much a new pair would cost. I've got corroded noisy front brakes too!

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
u0362565 said:
I've had this problem since i bought the car. Of course i didn't notice it at the time because the garage hadn't left it standing for a period of time. My garage suggested a strip and clean of the rear drums, i see one other person has said this didn't fix the problem, has anyone else had this fixed by this or other means?
Mine has just had 3-year service (at 16k miles) and MoT. Have noticed this week that rear shoes are sticking (car always garaged overnight). Service supervisor at main dealer says rear drums/shoes need cleaning / dust blowing out + copper grease. Strange how some things haven't changed over time - I remember this being done on my Marina and Austin 1300)
I expressed amazement when Supervisor said rear brakes on up! and Polo are only ever visually inspected never stripped down UNLESS there's a problem and VW do NOT include this item - unless requested - and then it's an extra and casnnot be taken out of the 3-year Service Plan; takes 1 hour and costs £117. After protesting that I had just paid for an annual service 1 month age and it would not have cost so much if done at the same time they offered me a reduced price. So rear brakes will be cleaned down week after next.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Noticed this on mine , if the car sits for a couple of days or longer , rear brakes stick a bit. Also if car parked overnight in wet conditions , and i reverse out of space , they squeal like a pig! (Small one..) linked?

Mark

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as stated earlier in this section mine stuck frequently and they were cleaned out [for which I paid] and then after a few weeks kept sticking again. New brake shoes were recommended and when I complained that the brakes had just been cleaned they fitted them for the cost of the shoes, with no labour charges. After a couple of months - guess what - they stick again. As we park on a level surface at night we always leave the brake off and the car in gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I should have posted an update to this but had my rear drums stripped and cleaned and hand brake cable optimally tensioned. The brakes stuck again more than ever after I left the car for a couple of days standing. I promptly took the car back to the garage and they loosened off the cable a bit but basically said, it's a problem with ups and polo's and cheaper models that still fit drums. I thought rear drums were still quite common actually but true at the lower end of the market I suppose. It's not nearly as bad now it's warmed up a bit but I think I'm stuck with it to be honest. The car is so good generally, it's a shame this is an issue but it could be something a lot worse..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Its not just a problem with ups... I had this on my Mercedes and also my eos. Both had rear discs. Although I would have to leave for a week or so for it to stick... I think it's a climate thing... Lots of humidity...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Once again , never had this with my 17yr owned 1997 polo... Whats with these niggles with the UP! ? Build quality? Or is this the norm with new cars? Or more specifically, first generation of a all new model?...

I have the following occasionally :

1. Reverse gear not engaging.
2. Rear brakes squeal & stick on.
3. Clicking clutch pedal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
u0362565 said:
Mine has just had 3-year service (at 16k miles) and MoT. Have noticed this week that rear shoes are sticking (car always garaged overnight). Service supervisor at main dealer says rear drums/shoes need cleaning / dust blowing out + copper grease. Strange how some things haven't changed over time - I remember this being done on my Marina and Austin 1300)
I expressed amazement when Supervisor said rear brakes on up! and Polo are only ever visually inspected never stripped down UNLESS there's a problem and VW do NOT include this item - unless requested - and then it's an extra and casnnot be taken out of the 3-year Service Plan; takes 1 hour and costs £117. After protesting that I had just paid for an annual service 1 month age and it would not have cost so much if done at the same time they offered me a reduced price. So rear brakes will be cleaned down week after next.
Strange that my Skoda dealer DOES do a "rear brake strip and clean" every two years on my Citigo and includes it in the service price...not as an extra.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Happens to me all the time too, I also had a problem when I bought mine that the hand brake didn't want to work on hills and the car would roll down them!! I found that if you engage and disengage it a few time rather quickly it "re-calibrated" and sorted the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our UP is now in its 3rd year the hand brake has stuck on from New if you leave the hand brake on its stuck in the morning. VW wont do any thing under warranty they say its dust on the brakes but this is not covered in a normal service and costs £100+ extra. But as it starts sticking again within 1 week of cleaning this ridiculous!!. The solution DONT BUY ONE.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I won't be buying another up! i might not even get another vw to be honest.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear brakes cleaned at 20,000 miles and new shoes at 25,000 miles. New shoes at 50,000 when MOT done. Now 4,000 miles later garage wants car for 2 days to investigate. They did say at 50,000 miles that there had been a problem with 63 reg vehicles but that newer shoes were not causing any bother. Think I will end up having to pay full whack as my previously independent garage has been taken over by a very large combine with notoriously poor customer relations.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts