Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,just a quick question.Just been informed my back lights are not working,brake lights fine.It's gotta be a fuse,right?
Have found the fuse box but there are so many in there I'd be there all day pulling them out and refitting.Can anyone kindly tell me the relevant fuse,colour and strength?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi there,
Just checking which of the back lights aren't working, and what model/year you have? There are up to 5 bulbs in the rear light assemblies and rather more fuses, so it would help to narrow things down!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,thanks for replying,
My car is a 3 door TakeUp,2014.Brake and indicator lights work,but no tail lights.Cheers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for the info. 2014 means you have 5 light bulbs, not a mix of bulbs and non-replaceable LEDs. In order from top to bottom within the assembly, they are:
  • brake light
  • turn signal
  • tail light
  • reversing light
  • fog light
Two things to check, then:
- the two tail light fuses are under the driver's side dash panel, but also control other lights; if these other lights are working, it's less likely to be the fuse:
#21 (7.5A) - controls the right-hand tail light, side light, number plate light
#23 (7.5A) - controls the left-hand side tail light and side light
See this site for a locating diagramme.

- to access the bulbs themselves you will need to get in through the boot to remove the assembly (tail lights are 12V P21/4W bulbs, if they need replacing). See the following video:

If all of these check out then the next level up in the electrics is the rotary light switch on the dash. Let us know how you get on with the basic checks before we tackle that one, then!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi again.Many thanks for the reply.Only just had a chance to remove rear lights because of this weather!All bulbs look fine.Changed fuses 21 and 23 to no avail.In fact,now the dashboard lights have gone off too!!aaargh

·
Registered
384 Posts
One quick check is Fuse #1 (7.5A post-05/2013) in the same box as the other two; it is possible that this fuse (which controls the dash) blew while you were changing the others, and the dash lights are separate from the original problem.

However, more likely we are getting to the stage where you really need some kind of fault code reader (preferably a VW-specific one) that plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port to tease this apart. The dash panel is capable of 'self diagnosis' (see Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Up! > Vehicle electrics > Electrical system > Instruments, GCI > Dash panel insert) and will generate fault codes that can be read through the OBDII port.

Up from the dash panel in the relevant circuitry is the onboard supply control unit (it sits behind the under-dash fuse box). This controls every light (internal and external) in the car, as well as things like the ignition and wipers, so if the rest of the car is working it's unlikely to have failed, but it could well have got confused. If so, there will be fault codes you can read and diagnose. If that isn't possible yourself, it's time to take it to a garage that can (preferably one as close as possible, driving very carefully in the daylight considering you're now short multiple lights...).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi again.Many thanks for the reply.Only just had a chance to remove rear lights because of this weather!All bulbs look fine.Changed fuses 21 and 23 to no avail.In fact,now the dashboard lights have gone off too!!aaargh
Once again,thanks for taking the time etc
One quick check is Fuse #1 (7.5A post-05/2013) in the same box as the other two; it is possible that this fuse (which controls the dash) blew while you were changing the others, and the dash lights are separate from the original problem.

However, more likely we are getting to the stage where you really need some kind of fault code reader (preferably a VW-specific one) that plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port to tease this apart. The dash panel is capable of 'self diagnosis' (see Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Up! > Vehicle electrics > Electrical system > Instruments, GCI > Dash panel insert) and will generate fault codes that can be read through the OBDII port.

Up from the dash panel in the relevant circuitry is the onboard supply control unit (it sits behind the under-dash fuse box). This controls every light (internal and external) in the car, as well as things like the ignition and wipers, so if the rest of the car is working it's unlikely to have failed, but it could well have got confused. If so, there will be fault codes you can read and diagnose. If that isn't possible yourself, it's time to take it to a garage that can (preferably one as close as possible, driving very carefully in the daylight considering you're now short multiple lights...).
Once again,thanks for taking the time etc,
How this all started wasI decided I wanted an LED interior light..big mistake,must have blown fuses on changing bulbs.
Not going to pay anyone just yet,suppose I will have to try checking fuse #1 and if no luckevery other bl**dy:rolleyes: fuse.Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Once again,thanks for taking the time etc,
How this all started wasI decided I wanted an LED interior light..big mistake,must have blown fuses on changing bulbs.
Not going to pay anyone just yet,suppose I will have to try checking fuse #1 and if no luckevery other bl**dy:rolleyes: fuse.Will keep you posted.
There seem to have been more than a few instances of installing interior LEDs and lights not then working - if fuse #1 isn't the issue, use the search box at the top of the page to see what situations/solutions might be closest to yours to save checking every fuse. The interior lights run off #27 (7.5A), which is linked to the control unit I mentioned before, so a good starting point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts