Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone had fitted one? A couple of things I've read have suggested they can't be fitted, but I can't really see why that would be so.

It would be only very occasional use and a single bike carrier (Saris Solo) as I would use my other car if the whole family was going out riding bikes, so I don't want to go the expense of a tow bar mounted bike carrier or roof bars (and my office has an underground car park - dead cert I'd try and drive in with a bike strapped to the roof!). Usually, it would just be to take the bike to work with me to go out for a ride with my colleagues straight after work.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
252 Posts
As the top of the tailgate is glass, I wouldn't risk it.

Car not approved for tow bar fitment, so only options are in the back of the car or on the roof I am afraid.
Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi not sure what the top of the Mii tailgate is made from but on the Up! the gap between the roof and the spoiler is metal and the bottom of the tailgate is glass. Below is my solution which works fine. I posted this in another thread recently. Hope it helps.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">You can fit most boot mountedbikeracks to the Up!, but you need to change the bottom hooks for dumbbell type fittings. See link:
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224005_langId_-1_categoryId_202502

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Then you are not attaching metal hooks to the glass part of the boot. What i do is connect hooks to top of boot, open boot and drop the dumbbell fittings in, close boot then pull them forward until they rest against the inside of the boot then tension all straps as normal. Works really well and I can get 3bikes on mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On further searching, I have seen one available:

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/seat-mii-skoda-citigo-vw-up-westfalia-swan-neck-towbar.html

but the manufacturer of that bar says this:

http://westfalia-automotive.co.uk/seat_towbars_and_wiring_kits/Seat-Mii/

·
Registered
252 Posts
mcgrit said:
Hi not sure what the top of the Mii tailgate is made from but on the Up! the gap between the roof and the spoiler is metal and the bottom of the tailgate is glass. Below is my solution which works fine. I posted this in another thread recently. Hope it helps.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">You can fit most boot mountedbikeracks to the Up!, but you need to change the bottom hooks for dumbbell type fittings. See link:

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224005_langId_-1_categoryId_202502

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Then you are not attaching metal hooks to the glass part of the boot. What i do is connect hooks to top of boot, open boot and drop the dumbbell fittings in, close boot then pull them forward until they rest against the inside of the boot then tension all straps as normal. Works really well and I can get 3bikes on mine.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Saris Solo - I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't fit (although roofbox.co.uk didn't seem to list it as an option for the Mii).

I haven't had chance to try it out yet - will let you know once I have. I might have a go at fitting at the weekend to see if I need those dumbell type fittings (I have a Mii rather than an Up and they have different boots on them - the Mii doesn't have the glass at the bottom - it's just metal).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did it fit your Mii? Thinking about buying one for my Citigo. Does it obstruct the rear lights or reg plate wit the bike in place?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi reading your post, about a tow bar for your UP. You can purchase one but it's only for carrying bikes.
It is legal also.
The cost is £110.95

TOWBARS DIRECT
Norbrook Trailers Ltd
Tarporley Road (A49)
Whitley
Warrington
Cheshire
WA4 4DS

Telephone:
01925 730 005

email: