Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not much to worry about and its not a major issue but it is a bit annoying that when you lift the tailgate the parcel shelf does not lift and sometimes this would be really handy. Its certainly like this in my Citigo and would expect that it is the same situation in the UP! (and Seat MII) as well. I'm thinking of attatching some string in some way to solve this - has anyone else done anything similar to theirs or any sugestions on how to get round this?? Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
I will be totally removing my parcel shelf! (That will mean nothing can be placed on it, but that's not safe to do when the car is being driven anyway.)
My reason is this. The parcel tray/shelf makes the boot tidy and hides the contents from view. But that's the problem. Our neighbour's brand new Agila was broken into and the rear seat-back lowered to gain access to the boot to find what was in there. The boot was empty ... but too late, damage was done.
At work, those of us with estate cars were told NOT to use rear blind . It's message was deemed to be "I've got stuff in here I don't want you to know about". A bit like shops which leave tills open at night ... and parked-up lorries which have rear door left open.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Oh dear Peter. I feel so sorry for those motorists who drive saloon cars. Perhaps they should invest in a transparent boot lid!! I do get cross with myself when I drive off with the parcel shelf left up though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1 have a lifting parcel shelf. The parcel shelf edge is attached to the rear window with a string so that when you open the rear window and lift it up, the parcel shelf rises with it. Just go and check it out in one of these cars at the citroen or toyota dealer. It is the simplest DIY that you can do, just a length of Nylon string and some self adhesive hook for the rear windwo pane and another hook (or loop) for the parcel shelf. Just make sure that the attchment of the string at the edge of the parcel shelf and the window coresponds to the best (highest) lift position when the window is opened. Here is a picture of some body making his own parcel shelf. Just look at the string attachment points on the second picture..

http://www.c1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4070&start=10

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good idea (peterwestsussex) releaving the parcel shelf out (thieves etc). I leave mine out of both cars all the time, but for different reasons, and had never considered the scumbag angle before - good post - thanks!Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
Good idea (peterwestsussex) re <span style="line-height: 1.4;">leaving the parcel shelf out (thieves etc). I leave mine out of both cars all the time, but for different reasons, and had never considered the scumbag angle before - good post - thanks!</span>
Can I ask what your reason of keeping the parcel shelf out is? Just curious

·
Registered
592 Posts
Car 1 (Skoda Yeti) - Dog.Car 2 (Toyota Aygo/soon to be Up) - Shopping

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm with you on the parcel shelf subject, a very cheap fix would be to go to a breakers yard and get a parcel shelf for a VW Polo Y reg or thereabouts and use the weighted securing cords from that. You will be able to attach the unweighted (upper) end to the tailgate - job done and the shelf will be easily detachable. Other VWs have a similar arrangement, Golf IVs have a more sophisticated solution which would be slightly less easy to fit but better engineered imho.

Sorry, no pics, it's still on the "to do" list

·
Registered
811 Posts
My problem with the parcel shelf isn't so much that it doesn't lift up but that I keep forgetting to put the **** thing down until I look in the mirror.......

·
Registered
235 Posts
VW seem to have made a conscious decision to do something different with the up! parcel shelf by giving it a locking position when vertical, so that it's well out of the way and you can use both hands to place luggage etc. in the boot. This and the moveable boot floor are the sort of neat touches that make the up! a bit special. I have left it in the vertical position a couple of times but have now got into the habit of making sure it's down before closing the rear hatch.
As far as leaving the parcel shelf out altogether, one of the reasons it's there is to reduce noise in the car - I wouldn't remove it for that reason alone. I'm not saying an up! can't be the victim of crime - but I can't imagine it will be anywhere near the top of the list of targets for the average criminal!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is the first thing i removed from the car because of the dog, but if you are interested:

http://www.vwupforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1596

Use Google Translate.

Edit: Sorry, I see that it's been posted before in page 1 of this thread.

Edited by: stratcast

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and help guys!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts