Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a late 2013 five door "Cheer" Edition UP. I regret not ordering the Sound pack and Maps and More.
I would like to improve the audio within the carby adding tworear door speakers.I have read that there are no cables running to the rear doors so I would some how need to achieve this , but how ??
The speakers in question would be 3 ways so I hope to avoid A Pillar tweeters. The front door speakers will also be replaced with 3 way speakers at a later time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not an easy job; threading wiring through the doors was quite tricky. The sound wasn't any better either, so the only benefit is for rear seat passengers. I'd recommend upgrading the front speaker, which is easy, then deciding if you really want to add rear speakers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jaina that would be the way I would be going ,get yourself some good speakers ,and all will be well ,
I hope you get it sorted very soon ,,PhillEdited by: Bossphillip

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure I give plenty of time to this project. I will buy some Magnat 3 way speakers and will soon replace the front door speakers as you have kindly recommended.
If I was to add rear speakersdo I need to buy a 4 speaker cable kit( 8 cables with1 socket to slot into the car stereo ) or do I simply add individual cables to the existing set up ( 4 cables already installed to the front speakers with the existing stereo socket + 4 extra cables from the rear speakersand added to the existing stereo socket ) ? Does this even make sence ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi well it's your choice ,me personally would get the proper connect for the job in-question ,
Most probably years ago I would of just joined all together ,but now the technology is so
Much better ,so I think go with the tech ,then you should have no problems ,Regards Phill

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound advice Phill,I would like the install doing properly, this car is new and deserves to be treated assuch.The small matter of Car Warrenty has really been bothering me so this morning it was decided that either our local VW dealer or a proper Audio Installer will do all the work. I would love to know the proper term used for this audio cable set, if anyone knows please chip in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd still recommend trying just the front speakers first. If you use some quality speakers you won't need rear speakers. You can go for some 2 way speakers with cross-overs and buy the VW a-pillar parts to keep it standard. This is a very simple job that an audio shop can do for you if you don't want to do it yourself. I wouldn't pay VW prices to do it and I don't think this will affect your warranty. Spend the money on the speakers.

If you want to add rear speakers and use the standard VW parts you will need to change the wiring loom and other parts! This is not cost-effective. Nor is it worthwhile! Having fitted the rear speakers, I know that you can't treat the car in the manner you want to without changing the loom. I had to make some compromises to get the wiring into place. It was very fiddly and I wouldn't do it again. Nor will you have to change any wiring for the headset, which is easier, but again, not worth the effort.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, but I know that if you put good quality speakers in the front (preferably with separate tweaters) you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks both for good suggestions, I'veread what you've both said and you've helped me to make a choice.
My originalsolution was to replacethe complete stereo and speakersso that I could finally have the Tech I am missing due to mymistake when ordering the car online, not buying Maps and more + the sound pack was foolish.
If installing speaker parts myself doesn't void my warrenty ( when using original VW parts ) then I am far more tempted to do this, although the speakers will be of a different brand ( will this be a problem with warrenty ) ?

Thanks for swaying me away from the rear speaker install, I think you have saved me a pile of cash and helped me avoid an evening of being very p1ssed off.

So to recap: I'll be buying some speaker pods for the front doors and a pair of top end 16.5 speakers ( I think this is the correct size speaker needed ) with the cash saved by doing the job myself, I've decided to avoid A-Pillar tweeters to avoid buying extra parts. The rear doors can kiss my @ss, although I would like to have rear speakers, as already said it's very likelya waste of funds and resourse for a car of this size.

So thanks for helping me to make a desicion, I now have a plan and can start to buy parts. Very happy the job will be a lot less work and far more cost effective. Now I need to discuss Head Units that can rival "Maps and More" in a new Post. This is another can of worms. Thanks again, have a great day.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'd hang on a wee while re head unit, the apple compatible alpine units will be announced soon, then you will have seamless integration of the smartphone apps......ie nav, streaming, internet etc do an internet search on apple carplay

carplay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Privatedoc, thanks for the heads up, i'll research it now.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
only hope they do a 1-din version........

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sounds like an excellent plan. Yes 165 are the correct size speakers for the front. You'll need wiring adaptors (easily found on ebay) as well as the adaptor pods.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jalne for size and adaptor information, been looking at the speakers listed in your signature, very nice. Were they as good as you expected?
Privatedoc, I do hope so, not seen any 1 DIN after an hour on the tinterweb, there is still hope.

Edited by: vberry33

·
Registered
95 Posts
Better than expected. I bought speakers for front and rear, but fitted front first; sound was superb, so much better than I thought was possible without upgrading anything else. Having bought the rear door speakers I went to a lot of trouble/hassle fitting them, and they made no difference at all. The only benefit is for occasional back-seat passengers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pleased to hear it, shame the rears were a bit dissapointing although great for the odd rear passenger. It is very rare we have rear passengers, maybe ten times a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts