Up Owners Club banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The gas pressure does act on the piston surface. That's why those shocks do self extend when not fitted. The amount of lift is difficult to predict as it depends on the psiton surface, gas pressure and the weight of the car. Maybe something like 10 to 15 mm.

I think the best low budget solution to replace the rubbish OEM shocks will be to fit the Bilstein B6/B8 together with the Eibach Pro Kir lowering springs.
This is offered as a package as the Bilstein B12 kit. The Eibach springs are specified to lower a standard Up by 20/25 mm front/rear. As the GTI comes already factory lowered by 15mm there are only 5/10 mills left. This is most probably balanced by the lift due to the gas shocks. So I think fitting the B12 kit will not change the drive height by a big amount.

We just need a volunteer to verify this :smile:
I Have run the B12 kit on mine for over a year now, it has been well documented on my "VW UP GTi Owners Group" FB group and my Insta page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/710238199365693/

https://www.instagram.com/vwupgtiownersgroup/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Silky, please

Do you have seen my message ?

Only with Eibach pro kit springs you solve the rear noise suspension ( no need to change dampers ) ?

could be very interresting to know !

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes have a similar problem on my up gti.
I can kind of ignore the noisy rear suspension, but now the car has developed
a rattle on the rear offside suspension. I’ve took it to local dealer who tried to fob me off. Upshot is that they have agreed to replace the suspension top mount. I hope this sorts it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes have a similar problem on my up gti.
I can kind of ignore the noisy rear suspension, but now the car has developed
a rattle on the rear offside suspension. I’ve took it to local dealer who tried to fob me off. Upshot is that they have agreed to replace the suspension top mount. I hope this sorts it out.
Interresting, please tell us if it's better after.

Today i went to VW for this issue, they just say me the rear "klongklong" can result from tyres and bad soundproofing ( they are noisy and hard with low profile ) and nothing wrong with the suspension "lol" obviously

I'am tempted to change rear tyres... but i'am little bit lost

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dealer is yet to get in touch so I think I will have to chase them up. I don’t think it will totally sort out the noisy suspension but hopefully it will eliminate some of the noises. I’m afraid it’s probably a quirk that we might have to get used to. Although I’m not impressed at the car needing a new top mount after only 5k of mileage. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great little motor, but it would be perfect if it was a little quieter in the back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer is yet to get in touch so I think I will have to chase them up. I don’t think it will totally sort out the noisy suspension but hopefully it will eliminate some of the noises. I’m afraid it’s probably a quirk that we might have to get used to. Although I’m not impressed at the car needing a new top mount after only 5k of mileage. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great little motor, but it would be perfect if it was a little quieter in the back!
really think we are in the same boat mate, overall impressed by this little car... don't know top mount will change anything !

but if it makes the back less noisy, we would have a fantastic pocket rocket !

I need to buy a winter set wheels and tyres soon, so look forward to compare with 17' and low profile eco tyres.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No it’s not that the top mount will change anything it’s just that it’s now has a rattling noise on the offside rear suspension which the technician eventually diagnosed as the top mount. This is after telling me it was the tool kit mind! The part is now in so hopefully that will cure the rattling although i know it won’t cure the overall noisy rear. I’m afraid that’s just a quirk I might have to get used to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just booked the car in for the top mount replacement I’m slightly worried that they are going to charge me for it since the guy quoted me £150 for the part before fitting it! Told him that it had a warranty but he told me that the service manager would discuss it with me when I’m at the garage.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Should be absolutely no charge. My old 75bhp High Up needed to have two rear shocks and 2 x top mounts at 2 years old & 20,000 miles, after I noticed a creaking noise over bumps.
It was done very quickly at the dealers, no charge whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information was a little bit worried when I got quoted a price for the part. I would like to think that they wouldn’t charge me since the cars only done 5k.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interesting! My up is almost silent except for road noise so what I sometimes hear isn't very loud. It is more of a 'clonk and/or rattle' but usually only heard at low speed and occasionally. It sounds like its coming from inside - boot area. It actually sounds more like a wiring harness hitting the side or top/bottom of a void. I have also had similar from unused rear seat belt mounts (not in this VW though).
What doesn't help investigation is that I bought a proper spare and have it in place with a small toolkit and a bag with my charge cable sat in its 'well'. I then have the rear bit of the foam insert acting as backstop for the boot floor and the VW tools wrapped in a towel plus a box of spare lights & the warning triangle box in its slot.
All well wrapped though and no noise when I try moving them around by hand. One day I will get someone else to drive while I inhabit the boot to investigate. I realise that an outside noise (shock mounts. rear axle mounts etc) would also sound like its inside.
I will soon be having wheels off to check brakes etc before winter and I will try torque of shock and rear axle mounts then.
A thought just in - we are just back from getting mucho shopping. I didn't notice it when loaded - wonder if it could be the boot floor against mounting. (I did remove the 2 black side mouldings that allow the floor to locate or be moved and filed them until they no longer touched the sides in odd places). The rear shocks must be loaded a bit more than a normal up - this version is true 50/50 weight distribution.

Anyway teh car never feels as if anything is moving that shouldn't be and I suspect a normal engine would mask most of it - a very quiet noise.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Blimey I’m not sure I should have read this thread....... I’m picking up a 19 plate GTI tomorrow. I’ve only put a deposit down to secure the car which is refundable. I hate noises from anywhere and where we live out in the sticks the roads aren’t exactly sweet........ Are all the GTI cars like this ? Car is 120 miles from home so a long way to test it out. If it is noisy I will just get my deposit refunded.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Don't be put off. My (new June 2019) Gti has not shown anything like the above in 15000 miles. But be aware these are not £30,000 Audi's, They have 40 profile, hard tyres on 17" wheels, and at the daft pressures that VW recommend, give an uncompromisingly hard ride. With sensible pressures in the tyres, (lots of threads on this), they are more than acceptable.

Reactions: Charliefarlie

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't be put off. My (new June 2019) Gti has not shown anything like the above in 15000 miles. But be aware these are not £30,000 Audi's, They have 40 profile, hard tyres on 17" wheels, and at the daft pressures that VW recommend, give an uncompromisingly hard ride. With sensible pressures in the tyres, (lots of threads on this), they are more than acceptable.
Thanks for that appreciate it. I completely understand that any car with stiffer suspension and low profile tyres isn’t going to be Rolls Royce like. For me a hard but controlled ride is fine but rattles or knocks would drive me nuts....
Some say that the cars are built down to a price but 16K for a new car isn’t what I class as cheap. The Up is after all only a small car with a 3 pot engine.
But I’m going in with my eyes open and with a useful bit of information I didn’t have till this evening and I will test drive the car properly and if it’s not right for me I will politely turn it down.

Advice and information genuinely appreciated 👍👍👍

Meant to say the car has 11.000 miles on it .It’s a 3 door .

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mine is a June 2019 5 door with 15000 miles on it. Cost me £14000 brand new, with Cruise & Parking sensors, and a lot of freebies thrown in 18 months ago. Best money I ever spent on a new car. Not stopped smiling since. The tyres will likely be set at stupid pressures, so take that into account when you test drive.
Let us know what happens !

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine is a June 2019 5 door with 15000 miles on it. Cost me £14000 brand new, with Cruise & Parking sensors, and a lot of freebies thrown in 18 months ago. Best money I ever spent on a new car. Not stopped smiling since. The tyres will likely be set at stupid pressures, so take that into account when you test drive.
Let us know what happens !
Is cruise not standard ? One other wee question off topic. I’m assuming we can turn the start stop off ? Cheers,

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Cruise certainly not standard in 2019. It came as a "pack" with parking sensors.
For stop / start, yes there's a button on the dash, but of course the next time you switch off the ignition, you have to do it again.
Not sure whether you can switch it off permanently using VCDS or similar.
Never had it before, and I thought I'd hate it, but actually got used to it now, and only turn it off occasionally.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would not waste time or money disabling the stop/start system.

It does work excellently well, surprisingly unobtrusive and it obviously helps fuel economy and reduces pollution.
It is smart enough to not kick-in unless your battery is near fully-charged, and works only when you are completely stationary and in neutral - so for example when queuing to get onto a roundabout, you'll probably be in 1st gear, on and off the clutch so the engine will not cut out. The engine will also restart as soon as the car moves, so, for example if you let it roll a little when on a hill. All-in-all it's a good feature and very well-implemented....

101 - 120 of 149 Posts