Up Owners Club banner
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting, I had singled out Bilstein B4's as a possible option. Do they stiffen the ride at all?
Slightly but it’s for the good.I checked the time from fully compressed to fully extended on the old monroe shocks and it was 36 secs,with the bilsteins it was 17 secs.hence far better damping.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Slightly but it’s for the good.I checked the time from fully compressed to fully extended on the old monroe shocks and it was 36 secs,with the bilsteins it was 17 secs.hence far better damping.
Thanks for that, very useful.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
280 Posts
So forgive my ignorance. Would this mean although firmer, the ride is smoother ?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes, more controlled, less "choppy" or bouncy.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If the test is truly valid, it means less damping by definition. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Damping is a time-domain function - a spring would take longer to restore the body to the rest position only if you had increased damping; it's an anti-resonance device.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Interesting, I had singled out Bilstein B4's as a possible option. Do they stiffen the ride at all?
Depends on the amount of adjustability. It is possible to have a softer ride and much more compliant but with better control…. The spring rate and speed of compression and rebound is very important.
The permutations are endless but so are the opinions on what is a better set up and which kit to use.
Of all the modifications we can make suspension and it’s set up is the most complex from the users position at least. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
But if Rogerio says there is a faster time, to restore from being compressed, (presumed using only the existing OEM spring and no other changes) then it is a less-stiff damper - we're not talking about coilovers, as far as I can tell, just B4 replacements. Perhaps Rogerio can confirm?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like Rogerio is just measuring the time the piston takes to extend under zero load, which is maybe more a measure of the gas pressure in the damper than the valving ?

I swapped the factory rear dampers on my GTI for B4's. Report here:

Subsequently spent 10x as much installing Eibach Pro-Street coilover system, but don't take that as a criticism of the B4's :)

(NB also B4 dampers have no adjustment. You have to go up to B14 in Eibach range for that. You don't need it though: the B4 is perfectly judged IMHO)

·
Registered
57 Posts
But if Rogerio says there is a faster time, to restore from being compressed, (presumed using only the existing OEM spring and no other changes) then it is a less-stiff damper - we're not talking about coilovers, as far as I can tell, just B4 replacements. Perhaps Rogerio can confirm?
The b4’s are non adjustable,but they are much more difficult to compress than the monroes.I first fitted b6’s but these are too strong for the light rear end of the up.they increased the rear ride height by 20mm,the car was unstable at speed and on twisting roads,the garage that I borrowed them from said that the rear weight of the car was not enough to pre load the dampers.I just find that with b4’s front and rear and with PS4 tyres the car is perfect.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts