Up Owners Club banner

Rear View Mirror

9K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  collos25 
#1 ·
Hi guys second post and already asking questions

Has anyone tried or heard about changing the rear view mirror. I absolutely hate it.
Please let me know of any possibilities.

Thank You

See less See more
#6 ·
Haha sorry to laugh at that last post as its not very helpfull but was funny lol!

Is it law to have a rear view mirror in a car? I dont have one in my van but thats a different vehicle! Edited by: Itzben

#7 ·
shakotanVIP said:
I can see the entire rear window in mine, its never vibrated, and I've never been dazzled. Are you sure you're not using the vanity mirror on the passenger sun visor by mistake?
I don't even think that's possible? Loving the irony so far. Lovely forum. Im sure forums as such are created to help each other...

Is there a difference between the basic model up rear view mirrors and models after?

#9 ·
Hi RedUp.
For the vibration, try pushing the mirror onto windscreen boss firmly. Be careful not to push too hard though as it's bonded onto the screen and could break off, possibly taking some of the glass with it! There is a retaining tang on the mirror stem itself that should latch into the recess of the boss and lock it into position. If this is not the case, check that the retaining tang isn't broken or stressed, giving you no retention. I have seen both cases at Toyota Manufacturing in Derby where I work.

Also check that the mirror body is sat onto the stem "ball" fully, like a cup and ball for example. It could be that the retaining lugs in the mirror body have been stressed when fitted etc.

To refit, use a bit of silicon spray if you have some, but not too much on the ball as it could make the mirror body loose again.

Changing the mirror should be possible, but it would most likely have to be a "manual" one, as the electirical ones have a different type of boss and the mirror is screwed onto it. You would have to check the boss width and height aswell as it's shape/profile as some manufacturers use different shaped bosses that usually have the mirror slide onto it, but the shape can vary. You might be able to get a Polo or Golf one to fit, as usually to save cost parts sharing between models is quite popular to save money.

If you still want to change it then do your home work. Unfortunately I don't think that the VWelectrical "auto" dimming ones could be retro fitted because of the extra wiring, ambient light sensor etc, plus it would be reasonably expensive. You might be able to get an aftermarket one fitted, but will probably have to be fitted by an auto electritian and would still cost quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

Matt

#12 ·
RedUp said:
Is there a difference between the basic model up rear view mirrors and models after?
Don't think so, but there may be a difference between those with and those without the city emergency braking sensors - with CEB the mirror mounts to the side of the sensors's housing.

I have the CEB system, and the mirror is large enough to see he entire rear window (and a bit more) while it doesn't vibrate.
I've hardly ever used the anti-blinding feature on any car, and so far have never used it on the up!

Due to the fairly high seating position in the up! , I'm sitting rather forward and relatively close to the mirror.

Do you have the seat far aft, or are you leaning back ?
That'd make the mirror appear smaller of course.

Anyway, it shouldn't vibrate.

#14 ·
Mirror Mirror on the wall.....who is the fairest of them all....To try and be constructive in this topic.... our internal mirror is just fine.....never really thought about it!
Go well.

#17 ·
I have an up!white edition
I have the small black rear view mirror, not sure if this is because I have a sunroof. But it really is crap, doesn't show the whole back window and I find myself having to re adjust it whilst I'm driving which surely isn't safe.. Anyone else having the same problem or know why I have this tiny mirror!!

#18 ·
xadina said:
I have an up!white edition
I have the small black rear view mirror, not sure if this is because I have a sunroof. But it really is crap, doesn't show the whole back window and I find myself having to re adjust it whilst I'm driving which surely isn't safe.. Anyone else having the same problem or know why I have this tiny mirror!!
Because its a tiny car!!!!

#19 ·
xadina said:
... doesn't show the whole back window ... Anyone else having the same problem or know why I have this tiny mirror!!
Something puzzling here! What is width of your mirror - mine is 200mm wide. (I too have sunroof)
Just checked mirror's setting ... and it's wide enough to see ALL of rear window that's visible between front seat head rests plus a bit each end of the mirror of those head rests.
Any wider and all I would get is more of those head rest! Also, if not adjusted properly, I can see the side of my face.

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

#20 ·
PeterWestSussex said:
xadina said:
... doesn't show the whole back window ... Anyone else having the same problem or know why I have this tiny mirror!!
Something puzzling here!  Just measured my mirror.  Its 200mm wide. (I have sunroof)
Checked mirror's setting ... and it's  wide enough to see ALL of rear window that's visible between front seat head rests plus a bit of each head rest.
 Any wider and all I would get is more of each head rest!
Is your mirror black?

And I know it's a small car but I've had smaller cars before with a bigger rear view mirror, maybe it's just a personal preference of mine

#22 ·
I have just been out to sit in the car and note that it is black and measures 190mm across the top and 200mm across the bottom. Possibly because of the adjustment of my seat,I could not see the entire rear window however I am happy that I can see enough and what I don't see will be visible in the door mirrors!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.