·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi bcc. It could be a number of things.
1) It could be a bit of grit in the system, most likely in the rear washer jet itself causing a build up of pressure.
2) The actual rear washer jet could be faulty.
3) Poor connection between the washer hose and washer jet causing a loss of pressure.
4) It could also be a fault with the rear washer pump itself.
5) A faulty connection/contact in the wiper stalk.

I can't see it being much else to be honest. I'm sorry the list is so long, but those are the main things that could be at fault.
If you are unsure, get your dealer to investigate if it continues.

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the suggestions - it does work normally, but dribbles when it's not supposed to. I'll put a load more fluid through and see if it starts behaving. If not the dealer can have a look.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not a problem. Glad to help, and I hope it sorts itself out quickly for you.

Matt

·
Registered
397 Posts
My rear washer does likewise - irrespective of whether tailgate been opened or not! So I'll watch this thread with great interest!

·
Registered
265 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
My rear washer does likewise - irrespective of whether tailgate been opened or not! So I'll watch this thread with great interest!

mine too, I tried running it through to no avail

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I last used my rear windscreen wiper yesterday at about 7:45am, when I ran a load of fluid through, hoping to clear out any air bubbles that might be causing the problem. Since then, I've done 6 separate journeys , and covered ~120 miles of town (with speedbumps), motorway, and bumpy fast country roads.

On my way home from work this evening, the rear nozzle is *still* dribbling on its own(although not as much as it was yesterday)whenever I go over a bump.

Not sure the photos really do it justice, but here goes - I hadn't realised just how bad it really was until I stopped using the wiper to clear it again...

Are you all seeing it this badly? I might pop it into the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

... I do apologise for anyone who is traumatised by dirtiness of my car

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have never used my rear windscreen washer. When it is raining the water that is thrown up does the job.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's best to run them now and then to keep everything working and the little motor pumps free.
My mum never used her rear washer on her civic. I had the car after she became ill, and it worked for a few months and then failed. When I replaced it, I took the old one apart and it was in a state. It looked like the stagnent water in it must have rotted the workings. (I'm no expert though, but that was my conclusion when I compared the front washer motor which seemed lovely by comparison)

Getting back on topic though, mine does dribble now and then, but not as much as your pictures.
Do you put screen wash in it, or just water? I tend to buy the 2 litre ready mixed fluid. I wonder if the type of liquid may make a difference...Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for that. I will use it once a month when I use the air-con!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rednaxela said:
Getting back on topic though, mine does dribble now and then, but not as much as your pictures.
Do you put screen wash in it, or just water? I tend to buy the 2 litre ready mixed fluid. I wonder if the type of liquid may make a difference...

I've not topped it up yet - it's still on the stuff VW put in. It smells like the same stuff we normally buy from the dealer for my wife's polo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was still dribbling by itself this afternoon, 60ish hours (and 130 or so miles) after I last used the rear washer/wiper, so I called in to see the dealer. They're going to have a look the week after next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it into the dealer yesterday, and they agreed that wasn't right. After taking a look they phoned to as ask to keep it it overnight (and offered me a lift to/from work if needed) as they decided it needed a replacement part that they didn't have in stock. It was ready first thing this morning.

They've fitted a non-return valve just behind the nozzle (I'm not sure if this is an extra, or should have been factory fitted but wasn't), but the issue seems to be completely sorted - no dribbling at all, even straight after using the washer.

Excellent service from my dealer (EuroCanterbury) and the one thing that was annoying me about this great little car is sorted :)

Edited by: bcc

·
Registered
82 Posts
My rear screen washer leaks and leaves the nasty streak down the rear glass and it drives me mad. I have a little spray bottle of glass cleaner and a cloth in the car to clean it up and I must do it nearly every day. I had thoughts that a non return valve of some sort would remedy this issue and now it's confirmed I'll be off to my dealers ASAP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah Zoomy has a dribby rear nozzle. We notice a few drops of water on the glass, typically after recently closing the boot lid. I'd not even thought about it being a problem. Until now! grrr :)

We have two coats of GTechniq C1.5 Silo-seal on rear glass though. So most of the water completely slides off. In fact I'm now wondering if this is masking the problem for us? Since, potentially, quite a lot of water could drip out without leaving much of a trace. Will monitor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thus far all the 3 Ups I've owned has had this problem. Not a huge problem but does leave nasty running marks on the boot glass when the car is nice and clean :/

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have dribbling on mine but not that bothered about it.
It will probably sort itself out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts