Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this a couple of weeks ago and picked it up on Saturday to replace our reliable but terminally rusted KA. 75PS, sound packet (essential) plus Maps and More.

We tested the following before choosing an up:
- New Ford KA: good engine (4pot), noisy, cramped, terrible dash, poor seats, felt cheap; no essence of the original KA remains. Shame on Ford.
- New Opel Adam - solid, enveloping cabin and amazing sound system, but dynamically unsatisfying.
- 2012 Polo - was hard to stay awake!

The first real journey was a test for the new engine - up and over the 8,000ft Flüela pass to reach the beautiful Engadin valley where it will spend the summer zipping around the meadows. Averaged 5.4l/100km - 52mpg.

It was effortless on the motorway at ~80mph and just needed 3rd and 2nd gear on the moderate to steep inclines, which was to be expected. Love the handling; grips very well in the curves, feels solid and above all, is fun!

At the top, brrrr!

Engadin - on the other side of the pass; Spring comes a few weeks later than northern Switzerland.

The light interior and seats wouldn't have been my first choice, but now prefer the airier feel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautyful. Love to see more pics. Escpecially the red beige interior looks awesome. Would have been my chcice as well, bevor we decided to order the cheer up in red as well. How does the up feel in bumpy and mountainous realms? Interesting to know which alternatives you had on the paper.The Adam is quite okay, but I do not like the back besign.

Have fun with the swiss Up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
xpug said:
Engadin - on the other side of the pass; Spring comes a few weeks later than northern Switzerland.

If the weather continues the way it has, Switzerland, will soon be known as South Western Siberia..!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some more pics of the beige interior on the forum here.

The country roads in Switzerland are great, so not much to write about. It's all relative, but I'd say the suspension is neither too firm or too loose; it's composed. On a gravel farm path, it soaked up the bumps very well. In the curves, there is more grip than available power IMO (that's on 15" rims), so it can be pushed with high confidence.

The Adam is an acquired taste - I don't think the lines flow well enough for my liking. Looks better with a black roof though.

Viel Spaà (assume you're in DE?) with your Cheer up! Like the Anthracite wheels!.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vwild1 said:
xpug said:

If the weather continues the way it has, Switzerland, will soon be known as South Western Siberia..!!
And now it's the Monsoon season bei mir!

·
Registered
811 Posts
We're quite smug in the UK, for once we are having nice weather while Europe gets our normal rain.

Lovely pictures of your red Up and the locations are stunning. I would love to get my Up on an alpine pass.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Your car has a great shine. Do you know what it was waxed with?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good to know, we are looking forward to collect it in Wolfsburg. "He" is waiting in one of the glass towers.

You are right.
Grüsse aus dem grossen Kanton!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rednaxela said:
Your car has a great shine. Do you know what it was waxed with?
Interesting - I don't know. All the pictures apart from the snow scene were taken just after it arrived from the factory, so it had no special treatment that I know of. The dealer said they would clean and 'polish' it before collection, but I didn't notice a difference.

Now I just need to keep it that way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts