Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading in my beloved Polo GTI on Saturday and picking up my new High Up. Not feeling the love for the Up at the moment. Can anyone make me feel better?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
O no why you not feeling it?? We could try to do some jokes for you??

But I can't think of any at the moment

·
Registered
851 Posts
Read the thread on the polo. It seems that the polo is a a worthy car but dull, dull, dull. Whereas you can't help but smile when you drive the up it's got so much character and fun about it. I've started driving around in lower gears to get better acceleration and to get that 3 pot growl. It's only taken me a year to "get" the up!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have been driving for just short of 50 years and have had everything from a Mini [original version], MG Midget, Citroen 2CV, Citroen AX x 3, Citroen Saxo, Ford KA x 4, Ford Fiesta, AND I am counting the days until I collect my my UP
9 days and counting . . . . .

·
Registered
587 Posts
If it is the new mk5 1.4TSi GTi you will save a fortune on oil
Then there is the excellent economy. The Polo is not as fun to drive as the up! either, although your GTi does give some sparkly performance and interior is a nice place to be.

If it is the 1.8T version then the up! will sound more refined and be much more economical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AlanG said:
I've started driving around in lower gears to get better acceleration and to get that 3 pot growl. It's only taken me a year to "get" the up!

Hi, just got my up a couple of days ago, can't agree with you more, lower gears give me the upper hand afteracceleratingaway from the lights, beat a Golf off the line earlier today, although I don't think she was trying, she did have her kids in the car at the time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I expect she was driving as slowly as possible to safeguard the lives of her kids - so not a good example. You'll notice that acceleration improves with mileage too. It's taken me a year to do 6k miles and it feels better than ever!

·
Registered
448 Posts
GiGo said:
AlanG said:
I've started driving around in lower gears to get better acceleration and to get that 3 pot growl. It's only taken me a year to "get" the up!

Hi, just got my up a couple of days ago, can't agree with you more, lower gears give me the upper hand after accelerating away from the lights, beat a Golf off the line earlier today, although I don't think she was trying, she did have her kids in the car at the time.
I can not agree with AlanG more.I am just starting to " get my up " after nearly 3000 miles.Learning to drive a small " cc " car again! It has been a learning curve and a education for me, coming from big Diesels..Towing caravans for years.

Our Up! is a complete JOY! I honestly make excuses to drive it.

Run your Up in ,for 1,000 miles and it will pay you back 10 fold

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Excellent advice Night Owl. Just had my first service and almost completed 10,000 miles. I love driving my up and especially like the ASG now I understand better how to drive it. Kick down is just like sports mode in my old BMW and watching the revs go into the red before changing gear is still a bit scary. Don't worry Gitgirl I am sure you will enjoy the Up! experience.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why are you trading down, err I mean up, gitgirl?

Put it this way a high up is way better than if you were swopping for a base model polo!

Apart from losing some power there's no other negatives only positives

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone.. Changing cars to save myself money - the GTI is a juicy beast and the tax - 12 times as much as the up! The head knows it's the right move. Feeling better after reading how much you all enjoy driving yours. I'm getting the sports pack suspension but test drove a model with normal suspension? Does anyone know how that affects the drive

·
Registered
251 Posts
This will probably make you feel worse, but my dealer had a brand new Polo WRC in their showroom when I popped in the other day. ****, I WANTED it

·
Registered
957 Posts
I traded my Polo(not a GTI)for my up, glad I did my next car will probably be another UP !

·
Registered
438 Posts
Derkie54 said:
I traded my Polo(not a GTI)for my up, glad I did my next car will probably be another UP !
Mine is impressing me too. Can't stand Polos. I had a brand new Golf Mk7 while mine was at the dealers the other day. Even that didn't make me want one more than my Up. Bigger but not more desirable.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bye bye GTI. Hello Up! Picked up the high up today. Obviously performance and acceleration can't compare to my beloved GTI. However, got to say well impressed with the handling. Got sport pack suspension and up handles the bend just as well as the GTI, dare I say even a little better......

·
Registered
957 Posts
The little car has a lot of character Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive traded my Passat 2.8V6 4 Motion for a New UP... same as you Gitgirl.. will save me a wad of cash... my passat just drinks petrol and oil. if i am very careful driving it I get 30-31mpg. if i flex the toe too much i get 19mpg. Get my UP on the 12th Nov, waiting so long for it... So look forward to cheaper motoring... Enjoy your UP...

·
Registered
587 Posts
The up!s handling due to its light weight and peppyand responsive engine mean up to thirty and in the bends will give many cars quite a shock. Drop a cog and use the revs and it makes for decent overtaking when 1 up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts