Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am on the verge of purchasing a red High Up, and i just need to know how reliable a car it is in general?
I have been for a test drive and i fell in love with it.

The looks and drive were perfect, but as I have 2 small children and coping with School runs and work, I really need a low cost/reliable car.
Having had problems with cars in the past, I have decided to go for a new car, so hopefully less visits to the garage!

I was a bit put off by the amount of issue's i'm hearing with the gearbox and other problems that could be put down to teething problems - car leaking/windscreens cracking/air con failures etc

Just concerned that the car has been put together 'on the cheap'?

I really need to know the opinions of other Up drivers, so i know whether my concerns are justified or not?

Thanks,

Really would love this car!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are concerned, for peace of mind, buy the extended warranty to give you a total of 5 years VW cover. It was not overly expensive (£350?) when I did it a few months ago.

Nick

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have had a red high up for over a year now and haven't had any technical faults. The gearbox on mine is great. I drive a TDI Golf for 50% of the time and both cars have similar characteristics, but the up seems more free and fun. Its only a little engine, but it has lots to give. This was my first ever new car.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had my move up since November 2012 and have had no problems at all. I just put petrol in it and drive it. What could be easier?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my high up since January and it's used for teaching driving in..it's done 20k miles...generally love the car but on my 2nd gearbox as the first crunched and refused to go in reverse and when selecting first it would sit there grinding away, not moving...my 2nd gearbox is exactly the same so sadly it will have to be rejected as I can't teach people to drive in a car like this...but for normal day to day driving it's a great car just be aware that the gearbox is not robust in the least...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gearbox and clutch are the weak areas. It seems to be price you pay for its light weight and cheap entry level price. Although next to a Dacia Sandero the up! looks expensive now. As the Sandero looks decent and is actually quite well made.

My up! has been faultless and returning an average 60mpg.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My High UP has been fine up to now. Dont forget you will get more people with problems posting on a forum. You dont hear from the thousands of happy customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments, My husband is also a driving instructor and i have passed on the comments fromDriving school up! As he was wondering if it would make a good driving school car.As for me, i think i am going to go for one after all, can't beat all the brilliant reviews. Just hope i have made the right choice....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I definitely don't think it's suitable as a driving instructors car...I have spoken to the vw manager and we are working out a deal to swap it for a polo...he agrees with me on this..but as a daily car it's brilliant...you will love it I am sure...hope I haven't put you off getting one...

·
Registered
113 Posts
almost 9000km on mine, and no problems whatsoever... I LOVE MY LITTLE UP! :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
No problems here. Its perfect and reliable for me...

·
Registered
957 Posts
5000 miles and so far its going well.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
198 Posts
21,000 miles and no issues with reliability yet ....

·
Registered
296 Posts
70,000 miles. Only bother is the sticky rear brakes, needing 2 sets of rear shoes. Last service seems to have resolved the problem.
Otherwise impeccably well behaved.

·
Registered
237 Posts
After four years and about 60 000 kms:

Steering pulling:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/steering-pulling_topic1289.html
VW was unable to solve the problem.

Front break discs replaced before normal wear:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/warped-front-discs_topic4809.html
They rip you off because they do not replace it under warranty.

Squeaking brakes:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/new-up-squeaking-break_topic8518.html
The remedy is that you do not use your car in wet weather.

Broken heat shields:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/broken-heat-shields_topic4051.html

Poor radio reception:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/radio-reception-problem_topic539.html

Boiling coolant sign intermittently:
The remedy is to get out from the car, open the engine bay and put back the loosened plug into its place.

Expensive service charges.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gearbox and clutch have been improved on the facelifted cars. You should have no issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts