1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
On an n/a car it is not really worth it, a standard n/a car its even less worth it. Remapping only really becomes good on a turbo car or one with throttle bodies or cams etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
At 17, the insurance will be punitive, remapping will add another 20% , not sensible

You want to remap....buy a diesel turbo....

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Can I ask who you went with, I'm getting silly cheap quotes for me and silly expensive quotes for my lad....

Eg, me & mrs, fully comp, protected ncb - £165, add my lad £2500 !!

·
Registered
120 Posts
LV were the cheapest when I added my son to my current Aygo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yhyh I was but we are on the multi insurance and I rang them up and they said 600 until I pass my test then 1500 when I have so I decided to have a up :

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Thanks ps sorry for being an old fart and not aux fais with text speak but what does YHWH mean?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Can I ask who you went with, I'm getting silly cheap quotes for me and silly expensive quotes for my lad....

Eg, me & mrs, fully comp, protected ncb - £165, add my lad £2500 !!
When my son had his first car Quinn direct were easily the cheapest but they were Irish and I don't know if they even exist any more. If you can afford it it's cheaper in the long run if they have their own insurance. I also noticed that the IAM do as many lessons as you need with the advanced test included for £140 and passing the test would significantly reduce premiums (and the risk of accidents!) Did that £165 quote include replacement with new car if written off?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Yes but only 1st yr, admiral , previously used nfu as better rural rates and full replacement cost covered.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Remapping a 75bhp car - not really worth it, even if insurance, warrantyetc was not an issue. In my youth, back in the mists of time, I used to be keen on these sort of modifications but came to the conclusionit was money spent for little return.

Perhaps, the best course of action would be to stick with the standard Up for nowand change to the Up GT in a couple of years.Instead of modifyingyour current car, spend the cash on a fewDriving Experience Daysat Knockhill - tuition, number of lapsand choice of car included in the price.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Instead of modifyingyour current car, spend the cash on a fewDriving Experience Daysat Knockhill - tuition, number of lapsand choice of car included in the price.

Absolute sense.....done it a few times and its a real hoot!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on a remap of an engine like this... It's not really made as a power house! Remap the 2.0 Turbo FSI... Now that would work very well!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Even if insurance is sorted it can cause a problem because you have to inform the insurance company of a change to the manufacturers spec, failing to do so can prevent you from being insured in the future. I have a friend/customer who is in the insurance trade, so I just checked with him. Another thing to be careful of is the warranty will be void should you remap. I also understand that if you do it VW will not even service for you and without the genuine stamps in the book, reselling becomes and issue. Speaking to a mechanic friend once before regarding doing this kind of thing he says on anything without a turbo you will not get any benefit and especially on a 1L engine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
On a good day with a remap you may get a 20% increase in power and, say, 10% increase in torque. With regards to the Up, this gives you about 90bhp with the extra power usually at the high end of the rev range.

What does thisdo for driveability? Well, you have to rev the engine to benefit from the improved bhp figure. The extra torque may mean the car pulls better but, you may have to be going faster to benefit. This is probably why there is not much difference in driveability between the 60 bhp Up and 75 bhpcar in day to day driving.

How do you get better figures than this? Take the engine out, balance the crank shaft, add lighter pistons and rods, gas flow the head, add high lift cam shafts and lighter valves to name but a few things. Not enough power? Add a turbo charger or, for a daily driver, a super charger instead. The ultimate add on would be a nitrous kit! The car would not be an Up any longer - more of a Blow Up perhaps?

I think I would just rather buy an Up GT instead.

Edited by: luckyjimmy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts