Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm a fresh Up owner from Croatia, so far i really like the car, but it has some strange cons. The car is 2012 3 door 60hp take UP, in Croatia it comes with the remote key.

This is my first car with a remote(belive it or not) key.

Now the question:
I unlocked my car yesterday, but I didn't open any door, after aprox. 1 minute the car locked itself.
Then I did the same, but I opened the door and closed them, and the car stayed open.

So far pretty logical. The car locks itself when you accidentaly open it and don't get in.

But then i tried to do it from the inside, while sitting on driver's seat. Again the same. Not so smart but it doesn't matter.

But when i tried to openthe door manualy by clicking the lock button on driver's side or by pulling the door i couldn't get out!!! Same when my brother locked me inside, i couldn't get out! The only way to get out is trough the window, after breaking it ofcourse

Summary:
- the car doesn't understand where the key is
- it doesn't understand if somebody is inside the car
- if somebody gets locked, the only way to get out is to break the glass

If somebody could try the same with his Up, i would be grateful!

I hope you understand my english! Cheers

·
Registered
467 Posts
It seems somebody had too much free time
It's the same even in Passat, there was a case when small child was locked in and the remote was inside, but child was to small to operate the remote..

·
Registered
18 Posts
So you've discovered "dead locks". Believe it or not it's a useful security measure - even if you've got the key in the car with you, once you've locked the door(s) with the remote nobody can get in through those doors. We have the same arrangement in our Motorhome and knowing that nobody can get in at night gives great peace of mind.

·
Registered
239 Posts
kvjeko said:
But when i tried to openthe door manualy by clicking the lock button on driver's side or by pulling the door i couldn't get out!!! Same when my brother locked me inside, i couldn't get out! The only way to get out is trough the window, after breaking it ofcourse
This is a security feature to make a bit more difficult to steal the car.
You should know how the old cars of your region are stolen.
A wire is squeezed into the gap of the window and then the inside handle of the doorlock is pulled to open the door.

·
Registered
811 Posts
There is only one remote. I would like two. I actually complained to VW customer services and after some discussion, they agreed to pay for another one. I am now waiting for the dealer to arrange a time to take the car in to programme it - definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried to get a second remote - after 4 phone calls ended up speaking to somebody in senior management, but best I could get was 50% discount. Didn't think it worth it even at that. (£100 for a mass produced item that probably costs them £10 at most is still blatant profiteering.)

I wasn't happy with the fact that vw were very quiet about the lack of a 3rd key when I was buying the car. Had I known, it would have been the final deal clincher - key and car or no key no car.

Once your money is in their hands then they can tell you to stick it, which is basically what they do.

Pity, as with 3 drivers we need 3 keys.

I'd be interested to know how many keys you get with competitor cars.

SC

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Original brochure said 2 remote keys, so VW honoured that up until the reprint in may 2012 (in uk anyway) . I managed to argue that as I had ordered from the original brochure, I should get a second key and VW paid half with my dealer paying the other half. No such luck with the 2nd one as we ordered that in July so if you can get anything off a key now you are doing well.

a wee bit mean in my opinion as every other VW comes with 2 remote keys

·
Registered
811 Posts
Update on this subject. After some negotiation, I got VW customer services to pay for a second remote key and the car is booked in next Saturday for the work. It took some persistence but was worth the effort.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Update 2. Got my 2nd remote key today - all programmed and at no cost to me. Well chuffed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
im confused, how many keys do you get if you buy an up now??im curious as im picking my one up next sat!!

thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
CarlitoUp said:
im confused, how many keys do you get if you buy an up now??im curious as im picking my one up next sat!!

thanks
I believe you get one remote and one standard key (although no remote key on the take up)

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's correct. We have two Ups which we both drive so the single remote was an bit of a pain. You can buy another but I thought I would try my luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, you definitely get one remote, and one "master" key now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts