Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - has anyone removed the front passenger seat from their Up ?
I'm thinking of replacing it with a flat worktop for practical use & wondered if anyone else had removed the front seat & had any tips to share.
Many thanks
Paul

·
Registered
154 Posts
My first question is why?

In theory it's probably very easy and just a case of disconnecting any electrical connections and unbolting the seat from the rails before you do your Mad Max style mod.

You will probably need to put the original seat back in at MOT time. You might have to check whether this would be both road legal and a modification that would affect your car insurance.

Each to their own but I cant see why anyone would want to do this!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there an option to fit a "fold flat" front seat? Some cars have them to enable long loads to be carried, but a worktop could be fitted to the seat back either temporarily or permanently. I had something similar in a Bedford Rascal based campervan (Autohomes Bambi) back in the late 80's.

Kind regards, Tracendaz.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi @the-bunker,
The main concern (along with the points @Percy247 makes) when removing either front seat is to safely disengage the airbag before disconnecting the seat from its sensors. Basic instructions here:
Layout of the front seat, including wiring attachments:

@Tracendaz According to the Piston Heads forum, there are a few fold-flat seats available for small(er) cars - including the Seat Leon. You would need to check the rail spacing is compatible with the Up!, but in theory as they're both in the VAG group it might just work...

Reactions: Tracendaz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - to answer the question, I fly model planes - a few of which are quite big, so the more loading space the better. Also, I occasionally camp over at a flying site for night flights & social. I've been using a tent, but if I could just crash out in the car, then that would be easier.
I'll have a look at the links posted by plancast.
Thanks again

·
Registered
324 Posts
Late into this, but now I understand the problem. I think I could sleep in the UP (if I was tired enough !) Diagonally on the load bed, front seat forward and folded forward, pillow on that etc. Front seat does fold down but not flat. Can't have your cake and eat it. Can't sleep in it and store the planes ? Leave the planes in the tent/ get a rood box ?
I'm always surprised by what I can fit in the Tardis. I had to collect a front wing for the Triumph 2500, odd shape, but got it in 👍

·
Registered
650 Posts
Me too, a week after I took delivery of my Tsi in 2017, i got a rear axle for my Alfa Giulia in mine, rear seats down and passenger seat fully forward, with lots of padding around it, just like a little van !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our pet peeve with our ups is that they aren't type approved to tow a small trailer, which was how we used to collect logs. But we have discovered that a full builders bag of (dry, cleanish) logs can be stacked carefully with the rear seats folded and the false boot floor stowed away. Marvellous little cars!

Regards, Tracendaz.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the replies - to answer the question, I fly model planes - a few of which are quite big, so the more loading space the better. Also, I occasionally camp over at a flying site for night flights & social. I've been using a tent, but if I could just crash out in the car, then that would be easier.
I'll have a look at the links posted by plancast.
Thanks again
Well so do I and I can get my 1 to 1 scale 6 ft span golden eagle (made in 1992) in there no bother with the front seat folded forwardsand the backs folded as well. I suspect even a 'mighty barnstormer' wing would fit. as for sleeping I haven't done that but the front seat looks OK if folded back all the way and of course slid fully back before that. Happy flying and camping anyway.
Eagle.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts