Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have recently bought a Tornado red Bluemotion TakeUP! with AirCon, Spare wheel and comfort pack.
I want to fit some seat covers and need to remove the rear seat base. I can tilt the seat slightly forwards (I do not want to stress it by forcing it upright to much) but do not know how to unclip the base from the two white holders. Access is somewhat limited. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Great forum by the way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out the online UP service manual. (see link below) The instructions were to just pull the base out of the clips by lifting up the front of the seat. This worked (it needs quite some force). I don't know if the clips are a 'use once' item but both of the clips snapped. As it turns out replacement clips were 80p each available from a VW dealer.

Here is a link to the instructions
http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/up/index.php?id=700

Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi
thanks I have just fitted the rear bench seat cover with no problems at all I don't think that the clips have broken because the seat has locked back down with a click and I now cannot move the seat.Thank you so much for your reply. I went to my local VW dealer but the workshop had no idea how to do it, a pretty poor show I think.
Anyway now my seat covers from Jc seatcovers look fab

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Maybe I was to heavy handed removing the seat ( I nearly burst a blood vessel trying to remove it).
What covers did you go for?. Having seen the pics of the covers that Melody posted, I contacted JC covers and ordered a set next day. JC could not have been more helpfull. As I am in the Netherlands they asked if I could send some pics of my car as it is left hand drive, just in case there where any differences (which there wasn't). I went for Grey/silver Leatherette. The only problem I had fitting them was clipping up the front seat backs.

Anyway I am well pleased with them, they do not look like covers.

Ian

·
Registered
14 Posts
The rear edge of the seat is not clipped, so I lifted the base slightly to loosen the mountings. I was then able to force the front edge of the seat straight upwards which released the plastic mounts from the body still attached to the metal seat loops. They didn't get broken.

I drilled a hole in each side of the white mounts, slightly offset - and inserted two flathead screwdrivers to force the jaws of the clamp/mount open. I was able to get the mounts off without breakage.

I then re-installed the mounts into the holes in the bodywork, and replaced the seat base - with a black leatherette version I sourced from a wrecked up!. The mounts made a satisfying click when the seat loops were inserted. Saved me from purchasing new mounts. They are indeed designed to be single-use.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would love to hide the tyre pump and towing eye somewhere other than the gigantic polystyrene lump to allow the spare wheel well to be an extra stowage place.
I put the fire extinguisher etc under the front seats

There's a solid ridge on the floor underneath the seats, so nothing slides forward out from under it, yet it still leaves enough room to stick one's feet under the seat.

Some sort of canvas bag keeps small items together, stick-on velcro keeps the bag under the seat.
And the fire extinguisher as well.

(No wheel well and slightly less deep boot on the eco up! as that's where the natural gas tanks are ...)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Something like a fire extinguisher needs to be mounted somewhere to be readily at hand, surely? I've noticed there are no cup holders in the boot, for example!

·
Registered
209 Posts
On Abarth 500 and Mini Cooper cars there is an aftermarket thing called a rear seat delete which gets rid of the rear seats and provides a flat carpeted surface where the seat was providing a weight saving also. Obviously there’s a trade off with losing the rear seat itself, losing the out of sight security of the boot space but gaining van like rear space. I’ve not gone looking for one but has anyone tripped over such an item for sale on the web.

This is the Fiat 500 version via an eBay ad Fiat 500 Rear Seat Delete kit, Shrader | eBay

·
Registered
384 Posts
@Schaeffer found a rear seat delete option for the Up!:

·
Registered
209 Posts
@Schaeffer found a rear seat delete option for the Up!:
Interesting, many thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts