Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I need to remove the ECU unit to send it to Germany for it to be flashed with a new programme.

The company has sent me a photo of the inner wheel arch with an arrow indicating where the ECU is located.

Is this procedure something I could do myself or should I take it to my "go-to" technicians at Vasstech?

Thanks
Michael

Registered
It should be just a matter of disconnect the battery leave 5 minutes then unplug.
ECUs though for some reason kinda make me nervous. I used to buy YEC kit parts for the Yamaha R1 race bikes and sometimes those things can through Wobblies.
I would seek advice from the people who are re programming it. 馃憤

I guess you just loose the remapping you鈥檝e had done ? I seem to remember you had your car mapped ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be just a matter of disconnect the battery leave 5 minutes then unplug.
ECUs though for some reason kinda make me nervous. I used to buy YEC kit parts for the Yamaha R1 race bikes and sometimes those things can through Wobblies.
I would seek advice from the people who are re programming it. 馃憤

I guess you just loose the remapping you鈥檝e had done ? I seem to remember you had your car mapped ?
Hi Charlie

Thanks for that mate! I have a tuning box installed rather than a remap. Vasstech did that install. I'm thinking that I am best having someone come to my driveway to carry this out as the car will be disabled for a week or so?

Michael

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this mean the car isn't to be tweaked on a rolling road?
Hi Steve

Yes you have guessed correctly. Its a custom (but sealed) remap based on the down pipe and exhaust they previously supplied me with!

Michael

Registered
As somebody who has connected and disconnected probably a hundred ECUs over the years be very careful of the electrical pins particularly when reinstalling the ECU. The majority of the pins may very thin and liable to bend / break if you don鈥檛 go careful - i.e. don鈥檛 force anything.

Most of the time when the ECU has been on a vehicle I haven鈥檛 had to disconnect the battery but it won鈥檛 hurt to do so, not sure what the waiting 5 mins suggested earlier is for and I haven鈥檛 done that before.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As somebody who has connected and disconnected probably a hundred ECUs over the years be very careful of the electrical pins particularly when reinstalling the ECU. The majority of the pins may very thin and liable to bend / break if you don鈥檛 go careful - i.e. don鈥檛 force anything.

Most of the time when the ECU has been on a vehicle I haven鈥檛 had to disconnect the battery but it won鈥檛 hurt to do so, not sure what the waiting 5 mins suggested earlier is for and I haven鈥檛 done that before.
Hello Friend

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

It sounds like a fiddly and precise job and one that doesn't need my shaky sausages near it..:eek:

I will pass on your advice to the technician who does this job. They may have no experiences of doing an ECU.

Cheers
Michael.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Folks

As a general update on my project, I am waiting for the heat barrier coating job to be completed and having the down pip / exhaust returned to me! Should receive 1st week August. I will post pics.

I have chased Nengun regarding the replacement (i.e. 16 inch) Potenza 71-RS tyres. There has been a week of public holidays apparently but they have them in stock now and will ship them to me ASAP.

The JRZ RS PRO3's are ordered and paid for and I should receive them mid August.

Once I have the new ECU and the Exhaust I will get them put on my GTI. and post a vid clip. You may have to adjust your volume control downwards....:oops:.

The Strut braces are due mid August.

That's it for now!

Cheers
Michael

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Folks

As a general update on my project, I am waiting for the heat barrier coating job to be completed and having the down pip / exhaust returned to me! Should receive 1st week August. I will post pics.

I have chased Nengun regarding the replacement (i.e. 16 inch) Potenza 71-RS tyres. There has been a week of public holidays apparently but they have them in stock now and will ship them to me ASAP.

The JRZ RS PRO3's are ordered and paid for and I should receive them mid August.

Once I have the new ECU and the Exhaust I will get them put on my GTI. and post a vid clip. You may have to adjust your volume control downwards....:oops:.

The Strut braces are due mid August.

That's it for now!

Cheers
Michael
Oh and the Volk CE28 Club racer wheels could arrive before Christmas.........if i'm lucky.:rolleyes:

Registered
Does this mean the car isn't to be tweaked on a rolling road?
I understand exactly where your at with that question.

Nothing can ever be as good as a live map set up on a Dyno. Again I refer to bikes and have watched the dyno operator tweeking the fueling and the boost to give a smooth linear power and torque curve. Even with modern close engineered tolerances no two engines are the same, That鈥檚 why live mapping beats a generic map Especially when other peramiters have been changed . The more the modifications the more important live mapping becomes. It brings everything together to get best results.
The mapping on this car will very likely be slightly different because of the LSD for instance which few GTIs will have. The way the cars mechanicals deliver the power to the tarmac will be quite different. No generic tuning box or generic map will compensate for that .

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand exactly where your at with that question.

Nothing can ever be as good as a live map set up on a Dyno. Again I refer to bikes and have watched the dyno operator tweeking the fueling and the boost to give a smooth linear power and torque curve. Even with modern close engineered tolerances no two engines are the same, That鈥檚 why live mapping beats a generic map Especially when other peramiters have been changed . The more the modifications the more important live mapping becomes. It brings everything together to get best results.
The mapping on this car will very likely be slightly different because of the LSD for instance which few GTIs will have. The way the cars mechanicals deliver the power to the tarmac will be quite different. No generic tuning box or generic map will compensate for that .
Charlie

Thanks for that solid explanation!

It's got me thinking that I might seriously think about reverting to the rolling road. JBS do a stage 3. your point about the additional diff is valid (y).

Cheers
Michael

Registered
In fairness, a rolling road map/tune won't really be able to take into account the LSD, but also, in the end, it's just a fairly modest engine - meaning that while you can get the last bhp from it on a rolling road, you can demonstrably get perfectly respectable results with a stock remap. I just would not like to have to remove my ECU and send it to a different country and deal with the red-tape that may now apply! But nobody can say Mickeyboy is not brave or ambitious!

Registered
For these cars a rolling road setup is the best plan as the ecu is very tweakable but equally a standard by post upgrade is almost as good, it might not yield quite the same power figures but should just work.

I had one of my Sevens 鈥榓djusted鈥, could have done that by post but went to the guy and had him do his stuff while I watched. I say 鈥榓djusted鈥 because that car was just an EU3 1600K Series Rover engined car and the map as such isn鈥檛 all that adjustable, however鈥 as supplied by Caterham the ecu still thinks it鈥檚 in a Rover 216 with A/C, power steering etc etc etc鈥 so once all that carp is turned off and the throttle response is made less glacial everything improves. Could have had 鈥榩ops & bangs鈥 but didn鈥檛 as I value my cat and don鈥檛 want old ladies in quiet villages having heart attacks. The car immediately felt smoother and more flexible, more drivable as if all the horses were now pulling in the same direction!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For these cars a rolling road setup is the best plan as the ecu is very tweakable but equally a standard by post upgrade is almost as good, it might not yield quite the same power figures but should just work.

I had one of my Sevens 鈥榓djusted鈥, could have done that by post but went to the guy and had him do his stuff while I watched. I say 鈥榓djusted鈥 because that car was just an EU3 1600K Series Rover engined car and the map as such isn鈥檛 all that adjustable, however鈥 as supplied by Caterham the ecu still thinks it鈥檚 in a Rover 216 with A/C, power steering etc etc etc鈥 so once all that carp is turned off and the throttle response is made less glacial everything improves. Could have had 鈥榩ops & bangs鈥 but didn鈥檛 as I value my cat and don鈥檛 want old ladies in quiet villages having heart attacks. The car immediately felt smoother and more flexible, more drivable as if all the horses were now pulling in the same direction!
Thanks Ash

Some good thoughts in your response!

I have now decided not to proceed with purchasing the ECU. My goal is to upgrade to a hybrid turbo unit and have a rolling road remap..with JBS.

I can better use the money to install the numerous parts I have already accumulated.

Thanks
Michael

Registered
Interesting. I expect "hybrid" in this case means "re-engineered" (using uprated internal parts, impellers, bearings etc), as opposed to the type where electric motor, and/or compressed air used?

I bet a few people here will want one when you've tried it!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. I expect "hybrid" in this case means "re-engineered" (using uprated internal parts, impellers, bearings etc), as opposed to the type where electric motor, and/or compressed air used?

I bet a few people here will want one when you've tried it!
Hi Steve

This is what I have my heart set on :love:

M

Registered
Re-engineered then, but it looks good - other options that use the word "hybrid" in the more exact sense would be 5x plus the cost of this unit.

I half-thought you may have gone with the Turbo-Technics one, but they are probably similar.

Do they publish any test data (that's what everyone wants to see!), and do they provide an ECU map that works correctly with the unit? I'm pretty sure you can't use a COTS map if the turbo has different characteristics, which is probably why you are looking at RR tuning... (?)

I hope they have overcome the 'chatter' that is reported with the wastegate actuator by others on this site on some standard GTi turbos!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Steve

I will check out the Turbo-Technics version. Haven't heard of this one!

M

Registered
Oh, sorry - don't let me distract you! TT used to be quite well known...
My wife had a company car in the early 90's, which was a Turbo-Technics Golf - the specific car was 6-secs to 100km/h, and topped out at 144mph, which was decent stuff back then, and she got it because she didn't like the relatively weedy, me-too BMWs her colleagues were are getting (within the allowed price band), but the company, amazingly, are still going.

I have a suspicion that after this project you'll be looking at tuning one of these, yet another 3-cyl "city car" :

... you gotta laugh at the way they describe its MacPherson Strut Suspension, as if it were a new tech breakthrough. It was first commonly used in the 50's, and was in some use before WW1, but hey....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, sorry - don't let me distract you! TT used to be quite well known...
My wife had a company car in the early 90's, which was a Turbo-Technics Golf - the specific car was 6-secs to 100km/h, and topped out at 144mph, which was decent stuff back then, and she got it because she didn't like the relatively weedy, me-too BMWs her colleagues were are getting (within the allowed price band), but the company, amazingly, are still going.

I have a suspicion that after this project you'll be looking at tuning one of these, yet another 3-cyl "city car" :

Thanks Steve

I literally just phone TT and they do not have a unit for a VW UP GTI..

The TTE1XX looks very capable and with all the improved airflow parts and a stage 3 RR tuning should squeeze every drop of power from the engine! would you suggest forged pistons?

Cheers
M

1 - 20 of 67 Posts