Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a 66 reg UP! Tech the other day which came with the Garmin Maps and More unit - but it's pretty awful in my opinion - for a number of reasons which I won't go into.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the unit and replace it with a phone holder unit so that I can use my iPhone instead? The next complexity is that I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - so it's bigger than the standard cradle size!

The unit looks like this:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same PID, mostly useless apart from Bluetooth streaming music (if it feels like working). A phone holder is available which replaces the PID (not sure what size it extends to), however you have to also replace the mount in the dash as the clips are different on the phone holder. Also the Skoda one (which is the same) is cheaper to buy than the VW one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've just bought a cousin of this one:
Haven't used it in anger yet (will report back this weekend) but it arrived this afternoon, seems very sturdy out of the box and the gooseneck has a lot of resistance, so between that and the little support clip I'm hoping my phone (the rather smaller Nokia 1) will be safe and secure while navigating. My Garmin nuvi (bought long before my Up!) uses the same sort of suction cup arrangement, so I'm confident attaching to the windshield is a suitable option for this purpose. I don't have any form of a VW maps/infotainment system in my car, but my manual has removal instructions on p.239 if that's any help to you?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi All,

I bought a 66 reg UP! Tech the other day which came with the Garmin Maps and More unit - but it's pretty awful in my opinion - for a number of reasons which I won't go into.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the unit and replace it with a phone holder unit so that I can use my iPhone instead? The next complexity is that I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - so it's bigger than the standard cradle size!

The unit looks like this:
I posted this recently in a similar thread.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If you do use the new bracket that holds a phone then i can tell you that it held an iphone 8 plus with no problems, i believe the 11 max is about the same size overall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Guys, I had no idea that this conversion was possible. I have a 16 Reg Up, which comes with Maps & More (MY GOD), after a few years of living with it, I'm actually considering blowing the car up as I hate the thing (the tech, not the car).

So was looking for some way of getting more tech into the car. Aside from using the Maps & More unit for Bluetooth to stream media, it's pointless. So, reading up on this, I could get rid of that **** unit and just mount/power my Mobile phone from the top of the dash?, would this still allow bluetooth??

Also, in my fitting, I have NO USB port.....guessing this conversion would get this back?.

Has anyone done it, is there a write up (I've Googled for months but no success).

All I want it to use my phone, USB port on the dash and be able to use my mobile instead of that Maps and More unit.

Any help, pointers would be much appreciated, especially about the wiring loom mentioned in the advert?.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
130 Posts
From looking at the photos in that advert, the installed loom won't plug into the back of the new mount - but without any cables going into the back, you won't have any power going to the USB port either. This thread:

may be of some use, or point you to a user who can help. The blow-out parts diagramme you can see in some of the photos from the ad is available on ETKA; the part labelled '1' underneath the bracket '2' is called (helpfully) a 'USB connector', and is part number 5Q0 035 726 N. Unfortunately it's not clear how that then connects to anything else - maybe that can plug into the wiring harness? If not, Bluetooth may not be possible (depending on how this is controlled on your car), and you will need to power your phone externally (either through the 12V socket or hard-wiring a line from the fuse box into the mount - there are YouTube videos on this matter).

Hopefully someone who's done this exchange can advise based on experience. Will also see if I can dig anything else up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This thread might be helpful as well - seems to be a common issue!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks @plancast , it seems like the phone holder is the easy bit. The wiring harness is another thing. I've read through several threads and it looks like it's possible to get the power up to the top of the dash, but nothing certain and the question on bluetooth doesn't look like it's been mentioned anywhere.......I would have thought more people would have tried it by now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I suspect, since it's sold as a city car, people's commutes are generally short enough that it was deemed less important than other matters when reviewing features. Those who always intended to use them long-haul most likely went for the higher-spec models that came with Maps and More.
I'd also point out that, while it is legal to use your phone via a hands-free system, they are still considered a major distraction because the other person can't see what's going on around you. (Anyone with a recent learner driver in the family or who has taken an advanced driving course will have had this point drilled into them.) Official advice is to not interact with devices when driving, but to find the nearest safe and legal place to pull over and call the person back (Highway Code Rule 149). So maybe Up! drivers are just a particularly law-abiding bunch? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts