Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought a 66 reg UP! Tech the other day which came with the Garmin Maps and More unit - but it's pretty awful in my opinion - for a number of reasons which I won't go into.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the unit and replace it with a phone holder unit so that I can use my iPhone instead? The next complexity is that I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - so it's bigger than the standard cradle size!

The unit looks like this:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same PID, mostly useless apart from Bluetooth streaming music (if it feels like working). A phone holder is available which replaces the PID (not sure what size it extends to), however you have to also replace the mount in the dash as the clips are different on the phone holder. Also the Skoda one (which is the same) is cheaper to buy than the VW one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just bought a cousin of this one:
Haven't used it in anger yet (will report back this weekend) but it arrived this afternoon, seems very sturdy out of the box and the gooseneck has a lot of resistance, so between that and the little support clip I'm hoping my phone (the rather smaller Nokia 1) will be safe and secure while navigating. My Garmin nuvi (bought long before my Up!) uses the same sort of suction cup arrangement, so I'm confident attaching to the windshield is a suitable option for this purpose. I don't have any form of a VW maps/infotainment system in my car, but my manual has removal instructions on p.239 if that's any help to you?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi All,

I bought a 66 reg UP! Tech the other day which came with the Garmin Maps and More unit - but it's pretty awful in my opinion - for a number of reasons which I won't go into.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the unit and replace it with a phone holder unit so that I can use my iPhone instead? The next complexity is that I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - so it's bigger than the standard cradle size!

The unit looks like this:
I posted this recently in a similar thread.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If you do use the new bracket that holds a phone then i can tell you that it held an iphone 8 plus with no problems, i believe the 11 max is about the same size overall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts