Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
UP! BMT ASG5 2017
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know or have prints of how the USB-A connector behind the phone-holder is wired? There's gotta be a 5V step-down somewhere. I'd like to replace it with a USB-C connector and run a higher voltage, so I can get USB PD charging for my phone.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The step down may be in the radio....
But if you need a 12V to 5V source, look up USB buck on Amazon.
I can only see cigar-lighter plugins for USB PD (no bucks) but they can probably be wired out of sight off a 12V feed.

·
Registered
UP! BMT ASG5 2017
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, USB-C can support USB PD, which can step up volts (and amps), so an e.g. 18W charger lets out 9V and 2A. That how you do fast-charging. The faceliftet UP has a USB port behind the phone cradle (previously Maps & More cradle), which supplies the standard USB 5V, 2.4A. So there's gotta be a DC-DC converter somewhere, which steps-down the cars 12V to 5V. I would like to find this, so I maybe can replace it with something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TBTK7H3 (but something a bit better quality).

·
Registered
UP! BMT ASG5 2017
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The step down may be in the radio....
But if you need a 12V to 5V source, look up USB buck on Amazon.
I can only see cigar-lighter plugins for USB PD (no bucks) but they can probably be wired out of sight off a 12V feed.
In the radio? Like physically? That actually makes sense, as I just realized the radio tries to read the phone as a thumb drive, when it's connected to the charger. Hmm, that probably makes the process a bit questionable. Unless I just sever connection to the radio, and replace it with "just" a charge-port. Alternatively, there could be an actual USB hub on there, which can charge the device with PD and relay the data-connection to the radio, which probably needs to be USB2 or USB3 if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
In the radio I think - because it is basically a SoC/SBC with a radio module and a display. So, like a tiny PC with USB to phone, USB to SD card, DAC, AMP, Canbus interface etc.

I'm not sure that a powered PD "interposer" exists.

Apart from wanting faster charging, which can be done separately, can you not use Bluetooth to send phone calls & music to the radio? (I'm not sure what radio version you have, so maybe not!)

·
Registered
UP! BMT ASG5 2017
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the radio I think - because it is basically a SoC/SBC with a radio module and a display. So, like a tiny PC with USB to phone, USB to SD card, DAC, AMP, Canbus interface etc.

I'm not sure that a powered PD "interposer" exists.

Apart from wanting faster charging, which can be done separately, can you not use Bluetooth to send phone calls & music to the radio? (I'm not sure what radio version you have, so maybe not!)
I'm not sure of the version of the radio, but I do have BT in the radio, so I won't loose any functionality, if I simply change out the USB port for a USB buck-like USB PD charger. But I like doing non-destructive changes, when doing mods, so I would ideally try not to loose the USB-interface. But the main goal is still fast-charging, so I'll see what I can do.

A "powered PD interposer" could potentially be done with something like this hub: 4 Port USB C Hub 10Gbps 3A/1C - PD 3.0 - USB 3.0 Hubs and a 12V DC-DC USB PD buck to power the hub. But that price is a bit too much, when a simple 12V USB-PD can do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts