Up Owners Club banner

Retro fit overview

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  RasmusTJ 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of posts over the past few weeks asking about retro-fitting sound pack, sensor pack etc. Come to think about it I may have asked about it myself. The answer to all these questions is in the article linked to by manacee
which contains this:

"An interesting observation about the networking of systems: every up! is fitted with its "own" individual wiring harness. This "electrical system" is pre-configured for the features of each individual up! car, and it is fed into production in a just-in-time process. The advantage: unnecessary cabling is not installed, which reduces costs and weight."

I'd be interested to know how much they save by doing this. On the cheaper Citigo Skoda have pre-wired all the cars to take Maps an More (or whatever they call it)
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/article_topic1008.htmlEdited by: yapmaul

#2 ·
Custom wiring looms sounds an expensive and time-consuming thing for VW to do. I would have thought it was cheaper to create a "one size fits all" loom and put up with it. As to the weight saving - how much does a short section of wire and some connectors weigh compared to the overall weight of the car?

Nick

Edited by: Collas

#4 ·
I'd assume VW would sub contract the wiring looms and the 'individual' looms probably only total 3 or 4 anyway.

The weight issue is probably insignificant on it's own but saving weight on each component adds up. Grams here and there turn into kilos.

The cost issue is probably insignificant to but becomes significant to VW the more cars they shift. A £1 saving on a section of a wiring loom isn't significant on it's own but consider how many up!s they'll shift across Europe and the 'individual' loom starts to make more sense. Even if it's a pain for some of us.

Likewise with stuff like the thinner crank case etc.

#6 ·
with no M&M, is there still a blanking plug on the dash top??

#9 ·
Great article - but it's sad how hard they have made it for us to upgrade our up!

b82ry: Great info! How comprehensive is the wiring to install? Do you need to solder or is it plug'n'play? And isn't it hard to fit the wiring - i know that it's very hard just to disassemble the dash!

#10 ·
There is no need todisassembleall dash. You need to take off Climatic panel and then You see radio screws. When You take out radio, You just plug in the M+M wire, drill a hole in dash (be careful with this, don`t make it too big, because because the M+M holder have tiny fastening "hooks")put all together and here You go.

#12 ·
Car manufacturers seem to be behind the times when it comes to 'upgrading'; design the car from the outset so that it can be upgraded easily. Then sell the upgrades and, for those less confident in their abilities, charge for fitting perhaps.

Of course, manufacturers would rather we throw our cars away after three years and but a new one, with the missing options. Any reason to change, from their perspective?

#13 ·
b82ry said:
There is no need to disassemble all dash. You need to take off Climatic panel and then You see radio screws. When You take out radio, You just plug in the M+M wire, drill a hole in dash (be careful with this, don`t make it too big, because because the M+M holder have tiny fastening "hooks")put all together and here You go. 
Are you saying that the only wiring needed for the m&m is the connection to the radio? If so how does it gather the mpg info etc from the car? If this is the only wiring it needs it seems crazy not to wire all cars to take it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.