Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've been toying with the idea of retro fitting fog lights to my move up! And was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?
I know I'll need to change the light switch and front grill as well as purchase the lights themselves but is there any other complications involved?
Also when speaking to the parts department about the grill they said it here was two separate parts to the front grill, an outer part £37 and inner part £36! Will I need one or both parts? The parts department weren't sure but said probably both!
I'll be vinyl wrapping the grill so no paint necessay.

Cheers

·
Registered
583 Posts
IIRC, somebody on Motor-Talk.net did just that, and needed the inner part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally I would not bother. Fog lights make little or no difference in fog. In my view they are an industry con to make you spend more money. I have had fog lights on most of my cars but would defiantly not pay for them as an extra. I sure many on this forum will disagree and say they do improve your vision.Well of course the do offer an "improvement" but not enough to make a difference over dipped headlights. And for the record I have driven over 1,000,000 miles since learning to drive in 1973.

As for drivers who use their fog lights when it's not foggy. Well don't get me going on that one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Candy white!
Don't suppose you have a link to the thread on motor talk? Tried looking but couldn't find it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rooster said:
Personally I would not bother. Fog lights make little or no difference in fog. In my view they are an industry con to make you spend more money. I have had fog lights on most of my cars but would defiantly not pay for them as an extra. I sure many on this forum will disagree and say they do improve your vision.Well of course the do offer an "improvement" but not enough to make a difference over dipped headlights. And for the record I have driven over 1,000,000 miles since learning to drive in 1973.

As for drivers who use their fog lights when it's not foggy. Well don't get me going on that one.
yeah but they look great don't they!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@rooster it's more of aesthetics kind of thing, I used to have a 5 Gt turbo a long time ago and always loved the Amber fog lights. Made me feel very continental!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lol. Yea I'm ok with the aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Rossrocks said:
Candy white!
Don't suppose you have a link to the thread on motor talk? Tried looking but couldn't find it
**** it! I had a feeling you'd say that. Mines Candy white too, and had been thinking about getting the fogs out.....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here you go :

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/vw-up-b821.html

"Chrome" surrounds for foglights, left and right

Chrom Blenden für Nebelscheinwerfer:
1S0 853 399 A 2ZZ - Abdeckring Nebelscheinwerfer links - 8,27‚¬
1S0 853 400 A 2ZZ - Abdeckring Nebelscheinwerfer rechts - 8,27‚¬

Bumper insert, in primer
(The middle part with openings for the chrome surrounds , price without VAT)

Lüftungsgitter Grundiert ( Das ist das Mittelteil schon mit den Aussparungen für die Chromringe )
1S0 853 665 A GRU 29,65‚¬ + MwSt

Don't forget the lights themselves

The foglights can double as cornering lights, if you want them to.
Dunno if regular VW dealers will set this option free though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
_1S_ said:
Here you go :

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/vw-up-b821.html

"Chrome" surrounds for foglights, left and right

Chrom Blenden für Nebelscheinwerfer:
1S0 853 399 A 2ZZ - Abdeckring Nebelscheinwerfer links - 8,27‚¬
1S0 853 400 A 2ZZ - Abdeckring Nebelscheinwerfer rechts - 8,27‚¬

Bumper insert, in primer
(The middle part with openings for the chrome surrounds , price without VAT)

Lüftungsgitter Grundiert ( Das ist das Mittelteil schon mit den Aussparungen für die Chromringe )
1S0 853 665 A GRU 29,65‚¬ + MwSt

Don't forget the lights themselves

The foglights can double as cornering lights, if you want them to.
Dunno if regular VW dealers will set this option free though.
they dont fit a standard bumper with fogs
bumper needs cutting to fit them or a insert from a car that has the chrome surrounds

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rooster said:

I tried my foglights this week while travelling down a completely dark country road and was amazed by how little light they added. There was more light immediately in front of the car - but no extra light towards the dipped beam limit. So my conclusion was the same as Rooster's. A boot light would be more useful than those fogs!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rossrocks said:
Will I need one or both parts?

HI you will most definatly need both parts as the outer part has the cut outs for the lights and the inner part has the screw holes and the correct position for the fog lights.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
AlanG said:
Rooster said:

I tried my foglights this week while travelling down a completely dark country road and was amazed by how little light they added. There was more light immediately in front of the car - but no extra light towards the dipped beam limit. So my conclusion was the same as Rooster's. A boot light would be more useful than those fogs!
I think you have successfully demonstrated why fog lights should only be used in fog. In dense fog even dipped lights can reflect back and dazzle. A boot light would be absolutely useless in fog. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've never even considered turning my fogs on unless it's foggy...which it hasn't been in as long as I can remember. I think I turned them on once to see what they looked like and to work out how the switch worked...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts