Up Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

I wonder if anyone could assist me here.
The Maps N More unit in my 2012 High UP is driving us nuts and the time has come to upgrade to something better.
I would prefer to retain a VW head unit and was wondering if the head unit from a newer UP model (2019)
The centre panel is different in the older model but by the looks of it I could modify the existing panel to get the newer head unit in without making it look bad.

Has anyone performed this retrofit - I am electrical engineer so given some wiring schematics I could probably fathom that part out but was wondering if there are compatibility issues with the CanBus or similar?

Any advice you could offer would be very well received and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Gav

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The mechanical and electrical issues are the easy part - I think the harder bit is integrating the unit software-wise with the BCM or ECU. It may be worse than changing a few settings - you may need a later revision of the BCM unit itself with a certain f/w level from a scrap car. Not sure myself, but someone the forum will know the details....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanical and electrical issues are the easy part - I think the harder bit is integrating the unit software-wise with the BCM or ECU. It may be worse than changing a few settings - you may need a later revision of the BCM unit itself with a certain f/w level from a scrap car. Not sure myself, but someone the forum will know the details....
Thanks!! Given the condition of the vehicle I am not really into messing with it too much so might source a DAB version of the head unit that is already there and retro fit a USB socket, fit a bluetooth converter and the VW phone cradle instead!

Gav

1 - 3 of 3 Posts