Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Since I did inspection of my e-UP from underneath I was surprised there was no engine Undercover (some call it under tray, skid plate). After just 1 year of service also during the winter there was so much dirt, dust, salt i couldn't stand it. Not talking about the front subframe that started to corrode on the edges from the stone chips.

And here comes my little project, i found and bought cheap aftermarket undercover on the czech web site for 60 euro delivered. Originally it was for petrol version, so i knew it will need some trimming, fitting and so on.

When it came it looked like this, completely warped, but thickness and quality of the plastic was very nice so i give it a go.

Test fitted first, well, it wasn't perfect match, wheel arches and AC pump were rubbing against side flaps. Pre made holes in the plastic were shifted and didn't match very much with those in the car. Before i started undertray project, i removed the rust from the front subframe (just regular sanding + hammerite)

Here comes my first cut, removed the flaps and after that i used the heat gun to somewhat straighten the plastic. It took me a while to straighten it, that bugger was resisting 馃槃. I also made draining holes where needed.

I decided to not to drill any new holes into the body or subframe, so I reused existing ones - three square holes in the subframe and 4 holes in the front bumper spoiler. It was hard for me to find best hardware for the quite big square holes, then i found out i had M8 rivnuts that fit perfectly in them. For the rest in the front i bought M6 rivnuts and stainless washers and hex bolts.

...continue in the comments...

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
After testing, cutting, aligning here is the final form of the part.

After installation i wasn't happy with the the lineup in the middle so i used plastic snap fastener.

And here is it installed

Just to make sure the under tray will not rub the paint off and promote some rust I sticked the plastic pads where was the contact.

Some people in the Facebook forum were afraid of bad battery or engine cooling. The battery is already completely covered and sealed and the engine has cooling system with radiator so i am not afraid of that.

First drive on the highway and i can feel the car is less noisy from the front. I can't tell how aerodynamics improved, but i believe it helped a tiny little 馃ぃ. Main goal was to protect it against dirt and salt.. so after the winter i will see how it helped ....

Registered
A nice project, well-documented. And for me, more interesting as a practical thing than just adding doo-dads and gee-gaws :)

I'm almost tempted but I do so very few miles these days. And being in SW Cornwall we don't get salted roads.

Registered
Great project with the useful long term benefits of rust prevention. Can you still access the sump plug and oil filter or are these reached from elsewhere? On some cars with OEM undertrays they have small flaps that you take off to allow access.

I amazed how dirty the engine bay gets. Does anyone have the part numbers for the rubber strips that you can fit on the front valance below the front lip of the bonnet to stop water and dirt getting in here?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding shape, since i cut flaps away, it is just straight plate and it is not sloping down heavily on the subframe, it is almost flush, just few millimeters, it is visible on the picture.

UPDATE after driving wet dirty autumn roads - it defo works, my engine, trans, internals stays clear, no more dirt anywhere like last year

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Great project with the useful long term benefits of rust prevention. Can you still access the sump plug and oil filter or are these reached from elsewhere? On some cars with OEM undertrays they have small flaps that you take off to allow access.

I amazed how dirty the engine bay gets. Does anyone have the part numbers for the rubber strips that you can fit on the front valance below the front lip of the bonnet to stop water and dirt getting in here?
my car is electric, the petrol version is different so i can't help you

Registered
Regarding shape, since i cut flaps away, it is just straight plate and it is not sloping down heavily on the subframe, it is almost flush, just few millimeters, it is visible on the picture.

UPDATE after driving wet dirty autumn roads - it defo works, my engine, trans, internals stays clear, no more dirt anywhere like last year
On the petrol at there is a noticeable angle of you looked side on to the sump and subframe, leading up to the front bumper. I was hoping the undertray would keep this shape and not be just flat. Thanks though 馃憤

Registered

Hmm - that leads me to think I might cut a piece of fluted plastic board* and fit that (I did make an undertray for another car that way - worked well.
* The sort of thing used in house "For Sale" notices. Neighbours had an old board used in elections years ago so I had a large picture of Gordon Brown staring up at me from the bottom of my engine bay for many years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts